Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your winter season forecast for 2014/2015: BRRRRRRR!!!!!

Stand By

One Too Many
And yes Doctor, it was -28C with the windchill when I took the photo. Just looked it up: http://www.citynews.ca/2015/01/12/extreme-cold-weather-alert-issued-for-toronto-11/ and according to this, for once you just missed it in Niagara. But if you think on it and recall again that week of January, you'll remember that it was the one that, being a true Canadian (which I am not, so I'm excused!), you put your shorts and A2 away …!

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
My (new to me but late 50's) N3-B - taken a few weeks ago when it was feeling like -28C with the wind-chill. But the jacket is blanket-lined and so toasty and I LOVE it. I feel like I'm cheating on my Irvin and B-3 after all these decades of loyalty!
Last night/today we've got a big load of snow - and I'll be behind the snow-thrower in this when I get home from work ....

View attachment 23887

Awesome N3-B!!

- Ian

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
My (new to me but late 50's) N3-B - taken a few weeks ago when it was feeling like -28C with the wind-chill. But the jacket is blanket-lined and so toasty and I LOVE it. I feel like I'm cheating on my Irvin and B-3 after all these decades of loyalty!
Last night/today we've got a big load of snow - and I'll be behind the snow-thrower in this when I get home from work ....

View attachment 23887
Are you the guy who bought that Buzz L2B in 42 and wears a 42R suit? If so, what size is your N3B? I was looking at these a while back but could never satisfy myself about sizes and didn't bother to buy one.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We are having our usual Schizoid weather! Last Wednesday I rode the motorcycle in short sleeves, Thursday it was cold again, and a front moved through Saturday, dropping temps down to below freezing, no snow just rain, thank God! Today was warm again, with low 60s tomorrow. Chance of snow Wednesday. Then back up for Friday. It's murder on our roads, VW traps everywhere!

Stand By

One Too Many
Are you the guy who bought that Buzz L2B in 42 and wears a 42R suit? If so, what size is your N3B? I was looking at these a while back but could never satisfy myself about sizes and didn't bother to buy one.

Yup, that's me!
And if I hadn't rediscovered my love of nylon with that L2-A (in a 40 - and I'm a 40R in a suit - but very close and well remembered!), I doubt I'd have gone for an N3-B at all! I still cannot believe how much I love this jacket after all these years (since 1987!) of loving my Irvin/B-3/B-6 …! It's truly a superb design - very well thought out and executed. And warm and comfy! I love it.

I was looking at the N3-B's too for a good while before I opted for this one - and I found that (for me) a good place to review them was at Vintage Trends as they usually have a nice selection of makers and vintages, so you'll see how the dimensions can vary within their sizes - so I had myself measured and knew I wanted a 35"sleeve, and mine is a Medium, but you'll see how a Medium can have up to a 37" sleeve! I also wanted a 44" chest (for layering) and this one fitted the bill too.
Like I said, I can trade mine in if my seller finds a nicer one. How nicer? Well, the Conmar zip on mine is just starting to come away at the base - but it works perfectly fine if engaged with care, but this is a jacket that I intend to have a long future with me, and if I can get one that's better in that regard, I'd go for it. And the ruff could be more plush - but again, neither of these were deal-breakers for me and if I end up keeping it, I'm happy.
But I've been looking for well over a year and besides the different makers, there is also cotton v nylon to consider - and white label v black (I wanted black) and this is a great time to pick up a bargain with an N3-B (so the seller told me). You get a lot of bang for your buck with these jackets!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Side streets of Albany, the State Capital, were impassible this morning. Dropping my son off at College and his mom at work took.... over an hour. I've discovered one thing though... A Honda Element with All Wheel Drive AND agressive tires is a BEAST. Foot and a half of snow and all I had to do was wipe off the windshield, dig out the door and vroom. This must be what the old Range Rovers felt like. I felt like..... Spartacus!

Worf

PS and that Nylon looks killer. I guess I need a parka!!!!????

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Dave, so sorry you are suffering the cold elements in upstate NY as we are experiencing sunny skies and temps in the 60's in N Texas by tomorrow. However, you will be laughing at me come August. lol

tonypaj

Practically Family
Side streets of Albany, the State Capital, were impassible this morning. Dropping my son off at College and his mom at work took.... over an hour. I've discovered one thing though... A Honda Element with All Wheel Drive AND agressive tires is a BEAST. Foot and a half of snow and all I had to do was wipe off the windshield, dig out the door and vroom. This must be what the old Range Rovers felt like. I felt like..... Spartacus!

Worf

PS and that Nylon looks killer. I guess I need a parka!!!!????

Not so cold here, about -5 C. Lots of snow, 2-3 feet, a bit of a pain. I spent about a year trying to get a 4x4 Element for my wife, ended up with the Frenchies telling me, well spend a year, no guarantees, no inspection, maybe you'll get it, maybe not... Now her old Land Rover Freelander is pretty much dead. I'd still take the Element, but as it is not possible, it will be a Subary or a Land Rover Defender. I reckon a 90 Defender is perfect. There's horses and stuff to figure out here. Lucky my wife is old school American, she can drive anything possible.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Fanch... you're so right... I can ALWAYS get warm... somehow... but when it's 110 in the shade? Sheeya!!!! Been there done that!

TP... yeah.... shame that importing an auto is so hard in France. They don't make anything over there of a similar stripe? All the other cars are Subaru's which are all right. The Foresters pretty close to the Element but not quite as much clearence which was critical yesterday. There's no feeling in the world like passing cars trying to get up slight inclines... litterally, like they're standing still.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails