Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1930's Halfbelt, just arrived

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
Hello
This my new Aero 1930's Halfbelt. My choose is two horizontal pockets, remembering the french "blouson cycliste", later used by the Luftwaffe pilots. Vintage brown FQH, 42 size. Believe me, it's the most wonderful jacket I have.

Halfbelt1.jpg

Halfbelt2.jpg

blethook

One of the Regulars
That looks very nice indeed :eusa_clap

I thought about getting it, but not sure about the size of the armholes...Can you tell me if the armholes are comparable to those of the A-2, or are they bigger?

Wear it in good health!

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
Thanks
Really, I haven't any A-2, but I can tell you that this jacket fits tight, also in armholes, but is very comfortable. Amanda (Aero) can inform you about all details.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi, I did check with Amanda, but not for the 1930 halfbelt. I did ask her about the armhole size of the bootlegger since I was interested in getting one. She said that the armholes would be bigger than those of A-2, the sort of jackets I am used to...She also said the jacket is on the roomy side...

I do have the Californian, and I thought the armholes are huge (in comparison to A-2). So I thought next time Aero has a spare Bootlegger/1930 slim half-belt in my size available, I would just ask them to send it to me to test...

blethook said:
Hi, I did check with Amanda, but not for the 1930 halfbelt. I did ask her about the armhole size of the bootlegger since I was interested in getting one. She said that the armholes would be bigger than those of A-2, the sort of jackets I am used to...She also said the jacket is on the roomy side...

I do have the Californian, and I thought the armholes are huge (in comparison to A-2). So I thought next time Aero has a spare Bootlegger/1930 slim half-belt in my size available, I would just ask them to send it to me to test...

I have several Aero jackets of various styles. The "normal" Bootlegger...Highwayman...and Half Belt have the bigger lower set armholes normally associated with a '50s stlye jacket. My '30s style Halfbelts all have higher set armholes with tapered sleeves(similar to A2s). They also taper to the waist in more of a slim fit. A friend of mine has an Aero Bootlegger made to '30s specs(higher armholes..tapered sleeves with button cuffs...tapered body per '30s style).
HD

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Fabulous

Sierra,
That jacket looks fantastic on you. I love that colour. Congrats on a great choice! and it´s in my size too!

sammy

New in Town
Very nice! I also ordered a 1930s half-belt in vintage brown horsehide and should receive it in a few weeks. Yours looks great.

blethook

One of the Regulars
HoosierDaddy said:
I have several Aero jackets of various styles. The "normal" Bootlegger...Highwayman...and Half Belt have the bigger lower set armholes normally associated with a '50s stlye jacket. My '30s style Halfbelts all have higher set armholes with tapered sleeves(similar to A2s). They also taper to the waist in more of a slim fit. A friend of mine has an Aero Bootlegger made to '30s specs(higher armholes..tapered sleeves with button cuffs...tapered body per '30s style).
HD

Hi thanks for the info. I will ask Amanda if they can modify their bootlegger to have similar small armholes & slim sleeves like the A-2. I just love the offset zipper and the different collar style on the bootlegger.

Regards

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Difference between 30´s and 50´s Halfbelt?

Hi,
I keep seeing reference to the 30´s Halfbelt. What is the difference between this jacket and the 50´s Halfbelt? I think there´s also a 50´s Halfbelt, no? Or am I just confused. I like the one in the photo of the originator of this thread. It truly looks awesome.

blethook

One of the Regulars
IndianaGeo said:
Hi,
I keep seeing reference to the 30´s Halfbelt. What is the difference between this jacket and the 50´s Halfbelt? I think there´s also a 50´s Halfbelt, no? Or am I just confused. I like the one in the photo of the originator of this thread. It truly looks awesome.

I think the 1930 halfbelt is supposed to be slim/trim in cut, based on 1930s jacket cuts. Also, the armholes are supposed to be smaller and positioned higher than the rest. Otherwise all of the halfbelts more or less have similar basic design...

If you're interested to get one, since you're in the UK, I would suggest you ask Amanda to send a test jacket in your size to try on (assuming they have one). It's better than asking to have one made for you and then find out after weeks of waiting that it doesn't fit you properly...

How are you enjoying the snow up in London :D

IndianaGeo

New in Town
That would be nice

Hi Blethook,
I never imagined Aero would do that, but I'll give it a try. I was also thinking of taking a trip up there to the shop while seeing neaby Edinburgh while I was at it. I'm a 42 size, like the originator of this thread. I'm a shade under 6 feet and about 182lbs. So maybe the 30's cut will suit me. I'm not sure if my dimensions count me as slim or not. In any case, yes, London is getting a bit chilly lately but since I'm a transplant from Chicago, London even in the worst day of winter feels like a spring day to me! :)

blethook

One of the Regulars
IndianaGeo said:
Hi Blethook,
I never imagined Aero would do that, but I'll give it a try. I was also thinking of taking a trip up there to the shop while seeing neaby Edinburgh while I was at it. I'm a 42 size, like the originator of this thread. I'm a shade under 6 feet and about 182lbs. So maybe the 30's cut will suit me. I'm not sure if my dimensions count me as slim or not. In any case, yes, London is getting a bit chilly lately but since I'm a transplant from Chicago, London even in the worst day of winter feels like a spring day to me! :)

Hi IndianaGeo,

Aero's customer service is simply A1, from my personal experiences.

They would go the extra mile to make sure you're happy with your purchase.

I've had one occassion where I returned a jacket after a couple of months of wear because it didn't fit properly, and got a replacement jacket FOC in less than 2 weeks!!! (I did tell them about the odd fit from the beginning when I received the jacket, and they told me to go ahead to break it in to see if the fit would change once the leather softened).

Another great attribute is the fact they are willing to customise the jacket patterns to suit your desire.

If you're new to them they might charge you to have a test jacket sent, but for me it was FOC (I paid the return postage). I have a total of 5 jackets made by Aero to date and four pairs of jeans I got from them, and I know I will order from them again thanks to their great customer service!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Don Sierra, your Halfbelt looks outstanding and the fit is perfect! I like the 1930 pattern much better than the wider 1950s version. Your choice of leather is also excellent and the tweed cap is a nice finishing touch. Amazing light in the photos as well!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
One of my favourite versions of Aero's half-belted jacket is the 1940s jacket modelled on the Levi Strauss 'aviator style' motorcycle jacket.

Levis470Sc.jpg

The back is rather like the standard 1930s halfbelt (with a straighter yoke but more pronounced pleats) but the front has an offset zip like a Bootlegger, but with (IMO) cleaner styling. This one is in heavy cowhide. It was a limited edition - I don't think they will be making them again.

Here's the Levi's original.

Levisaged.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo