Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1930's Halfbelt, just arrived

CBI

One Too Many
Man, that is one outstanding jacket!!! I need to keep my collecting to A-2's (can't afford to go even crazier) but if I collected civi jackets, this would be number 1 on the list. Aero's leather is really amazing!!

Congrats.

I can PM my mailing address to you if you would like me to break it in for a while.

Edward

Bartender
Gorgeous jacket. I have my eye on one of those in black (and one day, the brown too). Question re the fit - would you normally wear a 42 in a suit jacket, or a 40?

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
Thanks a lot everybody for your kind posts.
To CBI: Of course, you can PM your mailing adress and . My english isn't very good, but I can try to get better.
To Edward: My current size is a US 42, regular. But I can wear well a 40 size if the suit jacket runs large.
To Ukali 1066: Good observation! I'm a french Resistance re-enactor, here in Spain (and italian partisan, WWII Red Army and Spanish Civil War fighter). My idea was a jacket able for everyday...and in reenactment events. So, the 1930's halbelt is perfect.
In this photo, I'm reenacting a spanish republican veteran, fighting in french "maquis" (an usual fact during WWII).
Maquislabuena.jpg

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
The boots are "What Price Glory" british officer polished brown ammo boots repro. Leather soles, no nailed but they have metal reinforcement on heels. In my opinion, they are perfect for a 30's and 40's civvie impression.
Regards.

Adam in Canada

New in Town
More info, and pix, of Aero Bootlegger a la '30s HB, pls

HoosierDaddy said:
I have several Aero jackets of various styles. The "normal" Bootlegger...Highwayman...and Half Belt have the bigger lower set armholes normally associated with a '50s stlye jacket. My '30s style Halfbelts all have higher set armholes with tapered sleeves(similar to A2s). They also taper to the waist in more of a slim fit. A friend of mine has an Aero Bootlegger made to '30s specs(higher armholes..tapered sleeves with button cuffs...tapered body per '30s style).
HD
HoosierDaddy, would you be able to post a pic or three of your friend's Bootlegger cut to the specs of the 1930s HB? I like the sound of this custom jacket, and am considering having Aero make one for me in vintage black HH.

Thanks in advance, HD.

Sierra Charriba, your jacket is just terrific. Congratulations. Do you find that the non-bi-swing back restricts your movement, particularly with the higher set arm holes?

Regards,

Adam

Adam
I wish that I could send you photos..but my friend just got married last month and moved from Indiana to Connecticut. I haven't received his email yet. When he contacts me...I'll ask about some pics.
HD

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
Adam in Canada said:
Sierra Charriba, your jacket is just terrific. Congratulations. Do you find that the non-bi-swing back restricts your movement, particularly with the higher set arm holes?

The jacket does not restrict the movements. Only, it provides a small sensation of tight fitting.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Ohh, I'm so in love with the idea of a Cotton Anarchist Neckscarf...

So me!!!

Do they do a tweed Anarchist flat cap and a moleskin Anarchist waistcoat ?

Sierra Charriba said:
The trousers are part of one of my Spanish Civil War uniforms. They were made by Charles Nohai, a US taylor of California. You can see their patterns in http://www.lacolumna.org.uk/buying_guide_Uniformes_Militares.htm

Regards

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:

I believe dame Vivienne did something along those lines, but possibly a little too 70s to be true vintage. ;)

SC - thanks for the information on sizing. I'm looking at a few options for my next jacket - I was planning a Goodwear A2, but I think I'll hold off on that until the pound rallies against the dollar (for me, they're currently nearly GBP100 more than they were this time last year! :eek: ). I recently sold the black cafe racer style leather I wore when I wanted a blac leather jacket with a more subtle look than a Brando style mc, with the plan eventually to replace it with a halfbelt in black (given how good the brown looks, though, I may eventually have to have one of those too..... gah!). Really like the look of your 30s halfbelt - the details are beautiful. As far as Luftwaffe jackets go, it looks more like the typical LW jacket than many of the jackets I've seen being sold specifically for that purpose.

Oh... BTW, also love your resistance fighter garb. Puts me in mind of the pre-uniform IRA in the War of Independence and civil war (anti-treaty irregulars) 1919-23 era; albeit designed for a rather warmer climate than the Irish hills! Check out the Mike Leigh film The Wind that Shakes The Barley and you'll see what I mean.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
H.Johnson said:
Ohh, I'm so in love with the idea of a Cotton Anarchist Neckscarf...

So me!!!

Reading Orwell on Spain has warned me off the romance of the internationalists, including sumptuary considerations.

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
For british friends: two weeks ago I played the role of a british volunteer (political commissar) in Spanish Civil War, during the footage of a documentary film about the International Brigades for the History Channel. I hope you will see it soon in GB. Here you can see an image of film. I'm with beret and gun.

IMG_8525.jpg

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Sierra Charriba said:
For british friends: two weeks ago I played the role of a british volunteer (political commissar) in Spanish Civil War, during the footage of a documentary film about the International Brigades for the History Channel. I hope you will see it soon in GB. Here you can see an image of film. I'm with beret and gun.

IMG_8525.jpg

Sierra, where did you get that broomhandle Mauser? Very nice.

Can't wait to see the program on H.

Mark

Sierra Charriba

One of the Regulars
The Mauser Broomhandle is a all metal replica made by Denix, a spanish firm tha produces modern firearms repros in good quality: Walther p38, Lee Enfield rifle, Thompson sub machine gun, AK 47 and many others... Now they have released a Garand, very wished by US reenactors. And a german MP 40 is on the way... The weapons don't shoot, obviously, but their parts are movable and their look, if you customize wood and metal a little bit, is extremely realistic. And the price isn't expensive.

Edward

Bartender
Nice. I've toyed with the idea of a nice pistol, maybe even a Thompson as well, replica or two as a photoprops before now, but to date I've shied away from buying. The law here is pretty tight on the use and sale of replicas, as I understand it. I's also not that many years since carrying something gun-like and having my accent could get you into far more trouble than it would be worth! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo