Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero highwayman and Simmons bilt roadster

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I've read through all of this thread, and frankly to the OP, I encourage you to search a bit more on these forums, you will find these same questions get asked over and over and over. No disrespect, but if you just look a little you will find more than enough information to make well informed, educated decisions. What is it that Y O U are looking for?

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
I've read through all of this thread, and frankly to the OP, I encourage you to search a bit more on these forums, you will find these same questions get asked over and over and over. No disrespect, but if you just look a little you will find more than enough information to make well informed, educated decisions. What is it that Y O U are looking for?

Trust me, I did my homework, I figured there is no better way to ask people who has actually own the jacket, if I am the one I will be happy to help those who wants to find out, I apologize if my question makes you uncomfortable

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Please don't be offended, but a lot of veterans aren't chiming in because they have given responses to these questions many times before. The quest for "the one" leather jacket is a journey that might take a few jackets before you figure it out. Read old threads, and you will find many of our stories documented. The short-cut is Thurston Bros. If it is out of your comfort zone pricewise, you can go the ebay route. Many have- as long as you get a deal, then you won't lose out when you flip a jacket that just isn't right for you. Enjoy the ride. We are happy to comment on your finds if you want. We love pictures :)

Peacoat

Bartender
How you guys comparison quality of HH between Aero and Eastman luftwaffe flying jacket (3oz Veg tanned HH) thanks for the opinions!

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk
If you are asking about the difference in quality between the two different types of hide, they are simply different hides with different tanning processes. The current Aero offering is about 3.5 oz. and the Eastman is about a 3 oz. hide. The 3 oz. hide is easier on a first time buyer, but the 3.5 oz. breaks in pretty quickly.

If you are asking about the quality between the two companies, both do quality work. With Eastman, I had a fit question and never got a response to my emails. Ended up taking a shot in the dark. The dark brown (maybe seal?) color of Eastman's Luftwaffe is a beauty.

Lounge member JohnnyJohnny did a review of the his Eastman Luftwaffe about 5 or 6 years ago.

Edit Note: A search found the review thread. It was 7 years ago, and not 5 or 6. Quite a bit of discussion in the 7 page thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/review-of-the-eastman-luftwaffe-jacket-new.43767/

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Isn't the standard hide for the Eastman Luftwaffe now capeskin? I'm sure they still do it in other hides, too ,but best to check in advance.

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
If you are asking about the difference in quality between the two different types of hide, they are simply different hides with different tanning processes. The current Aero offering is about 3.5 oz. and the Eastman is about a 3 oz. hide. The 3 oz. hide is easier on a first time buyer, but the 3.5 oz. breaks in pretty quickly.

If you are asking about the quality between the two companies, both do quality work. With Eastman, I had a fit question and never got a response to my emails. Ended up taking a shot in the dark. The dark brown (maybe seal?) color of Eastman's Luftwaffe is a beauty.

Lounge member JohnnyJohnny did a review of the his Eastman Luftwaffe about 5 or 6 years ago.

Edit Note: A search found the review thread. It was 7 years ago, and not 5 or 6. Quite a bit of discussion in the 7 page thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/review-of-the-eastman-luftwaffe-jacket-new.43767/

Thanks for your input, really appreciate!

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
Good for you, Edgar. Good to see you're fitting in nicely with the ethos of the Lounge there :rolleyes:. Worth pointing out that SB don't have access to Horween CXL horsehide and that chrome-tanned leather is just a standard product, it's not proprietary to Horween.

About the last part of my previous post and to avoid any misinterpretation of my words I would like to say that I fully understand and respect the concerns and choices of the other members.
In my case I'm only interested in the quality of the products, the craft, the costumer experience.
I just want to distance myself from those issues in a totaly neutral way.
rituals of public penance and all the discussion surrounding companies "infernal affairs" are of no interest to my person.

That said I hope we can all talk and share experiences about what really matters :)

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
I'm surprised by the fact that in a place like this and with the products we are talking about (High end products and niche market) some people don't give a damn about the people behind the brand or the actions the do while representing such brand.

If you wouldn't care about that part of the jacket production then you should head back to mall mass produced jackets.

Where people do go is of their own choice and surely not of your concern or do you have any kind
It appears that my euphemistic Cobra post has been misinterpreted. The issue is NOT simply that one company introduced its jacket before the other company. Rather, the issue is that one company stole another company's proprietary pattern, then brazenly introduced a jacket based on the stolen pattern. In fact, one company was founded by implementing stolen patterns. If two companies reproduce the same vintage jacket, and each does so by investing its time, money, ingenuity and hard work, I don't care which company reaches market first. However, it is an entirely different situation when a company steals another company's pattern, rather than investing the time, money, ingenuity and hard work to reproduce the jacket itself. I personally refuse to support such conduct, even if I must spend more money to purchase a jacket from a different company. Of course, this is nothing more than my personal and subjective opinion, and everyone is free to decide for him or herself.

Ps: I do not own any Aero jackets.

You should :)

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
I'm surprised by the fact that in a place like this and with the products we are talking about (High end products and niche market) some people don't give a damn about the people behind the brand or the actions the do while representing such brand.

If you wouldn't care about that part of the jacket production then you should head back to mall mass produced jackets.

This is why I will not discuss this matter. Because you go from company stuff to judging and even labeling other people. Which of course is a full lack of respect for an individual who has done no arm to you, and surely will never do.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
Good for you, Edgar. Good to see you're fitting in nicely with the ethos of the Lounge there :rolleyes:. Worth pointing out that SB don't have access to Horween CXL horsehide and that chrome-tanned leather is just a standard product, it's not proprietary to Horween.

Humm You're pretty knowledgeable so I'll ask you Sloan.
All the jackets I have are HH, goatskin and even have a buffalo hide one.
How does the steer behaves in comparison to the aforementioned hides?
I'm still in doubt about the hide for one of my next Aero jackets.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
CXL HH and Steer behave very similarly - steer to my eye has a more finely-grained look as it creases. You can get a much heavier steer jacket than a horse one, though. It should be noted that Will, while working for Aero, was passing off steer jackets as horse. These were returned, replacement ones traded, and the steer ones sold off during the sale in August.
With goat and steer, depends on the weight, otherwise you're not comparing like with like. Also, a jacket made of goat tends to use smaller panels because of the size of the skins.
Buffalo is an interesting one. I have a heavily broken-in A-2 made from analine russet buffalo. It's similar to heavy steer, so takes a fair bit of breaking-in to get it to drape. @Edward of this parish recently bought a fantastic Aero made from midnight blue bison, which has, I would say, similar characteristics and weight. You might want to try that if you're averse to steer.

Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Edgar, if you are regaled by the workmanship of GW, Himel and alike in that price segment as SF is, Aero has little to offer to you, especially when you are not a fan of their trademark, the CLX hides.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
CXL HH and Steer behave very similarly - steer to my eye has a more finely-grained look as it creases. You can get a much heavier steer jacket than a horse one, though. It should be noted that Will, while working for Aero, was passing off steer jackets as horse. These were returned, replacement ones traded, and the steer ones sold off during the sale in August.
With goat and steer, depends on the weight, otherwise you're not comparing like with like. Also, a jacket made of goat tends to use smaller panels because of the size of the skins.
Buffalo is an interesting one. I have a heavily broken-in A-2 made from analine russet buffalo. It's similar to heavy steer, so takes a fair bit of breaking-in to get it to drape. @Edward of this parish recently bought a fantastic Aero made from midnight blue bison, which has, I would say, similar characteristics and weight. You might want to try that if you're averse to steer.

The buffalo jacket is around 4 years old. Not quite broken in yet. If steer has similarities with buffalo I might be tempted to choose steer for one of my next jackets.
The look of a worn and well aged steer jacket will surely be quite different from a HH jacket.
From my experience browns age more beautifully than black also (will try to post pictures of my late grandfather air force jacket from the 50's.)
A Highwayman, steer, one of the shades of brown. That would be some jacket I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21