Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alley Kat Hat Co

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tim finally got a few sample Liners in the other day, (4) different combinations..... as a tease, I will post 1 each day. Here is Monday's --------->

It is a black liner, w/ a white top insert. The logo on this one is a tanish colored fedora with the fire themed lettering. These photo are from Tim's phone and let me tell you, they don't do them justice.....you have to see how amazing they look in hand. These are going to really set off the AKHC collection.....how do you say? "The Kat's meow"?
xm1x1z.jpg

Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Since I am working with Tim from afar on a hat, I thought it would be appropriate to post some images here with some description. Tim has been providing other guidance on hat making that I hadn't picked up from Jim at JW Hats. This hat is not yet completed but I will show the different stages from what the hat looks like after ironing, pouncing, burning, and luring. The pictures are all from my cell phone, sorry about that.

After blocking the hat, I spent 1 hour ironing the crown. Now it was longer than one hour as every 10 - 20 minutes I stopped to let the crown cool down but there was a total of 60 minutes ironing on the crown.
No Flash With Flash
Iron2.jpg Iron1.jpg

After ironing, I started working on pouncing. I did 3 passes each with a different sandpaper grit. I progressed in this order 240, 320, 600. I could make the case to have stopped after each of the sandpaper grits, just really depends on the finish one wanted to achieve. Click on the images to view close up.

240 Grit 320 Grit 600 Grit
Pounce240.jpg Pounce3.jpg Pounce2.jpg

After pouncing I was wanted to try something I have seen a few other hatters do. BURN the felt. Note I would only do this on a dark felted hat unless I was trying to distress a hat like Nick Fouquet or some of the others out there. I sprayed the crown with 91% isopropyl alcohol and set it on fire, only letting it burn a couple of seconds and then blowing it out. Does add a nice feel to the hat. I don't have a picture of it on fire as it was just me and a bit nerve wrecking.

After Burning
Fire1.jpg

Lastly I finished up by luring the crown. This happened another day so the do not have great lighting so it might be hard to compare to the others. But I also have a close up shot.

Luring2.jpg Luring1.jpg

The crown feels super soft and supple right now and I am very excited how this one will end up turning. I hope this was interesting and useful to a few of you. Questions or feedback welcome.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Since I am working with Tim from afar on a hat, I thought it would be appropriate to post some images here with some description. Tim has been providing other guidance on hat making that I hadn't picked up from Jim at JW Hats. This hat is not yet completed but I will show the different stages from what the hat looks like after ironing, pouncing, burning, and luring. The pictures are all from my cell phone, sorry about that.

After blocking the hat, I spent 1 hour ironing the crown. Now it was longer than one hour as every 10 - 20 minutes I stopped to let the crown cool down but there was a total of 60 minutes ironing on the crown.
No Flash With Flash
View attachment 54125 View attachment 54126

After ironing, I started working on pouncing. I did 3 passes each with a different sandpaper grit. I progressed in this order 240, 320, 600. I could make the case to have stopped after each of the sandpaper grits, just really depends on the finish one wanted to achieve. Click on the images to view close up.

240 Grit 320 Grit 600 Grit
View attachment 54127 View attachment 54128 View attachment 54129

After pouncing I was wanted to try something I have seen a few other hatters do. BURN the felt. Note I would only do this on a dark felted hat unless I was trying to distress a hat like Nick Fouquet or some of the others out there. I sprayed the crown with 91% isopropyl alcohol and set it on fire, only letting it burn a couple of seconds and then blowing it out. Does add a nice feel to the hat. I don't have a picture of it on fire as it was just me and a bit nerve wrecking.

After Burning
View attachment 54130

Lastly I finished up by luring the crown. This happened another day so the do not have great lighting so it might be hard to compare to the others. But I also have a close up shot.

View attachment 54131 View attachment 54132

The crown feels super soft and supple right now and I am very excited how this one will end up turning. I hope this was interesting and useful to a few of you. Questions or feedback welcome.

Please let us know what color is this hatbody? Looks dark grey or black or blue?

Can you describe the luring process in more detail, please?

RJR

Tim finally got a few sample Liners in the other day, (4) different combinations..... as a tease, I will post 1 each day. Here is Monday's --------->

It is a black liner, w/ a white top insert. The logo on this one is a tanish colored fedora with the fire themed lettering. These photo are from Tim's phone and let me tell you, they don't do them justice.....you have to see how amazing they look in hand. These are going to really set off the AKHC collection.....how do you say? "The Kat's meow"?
xm1x1z.jpg
Very cool,Tim.

I'm confused, is Tim making this hat, or someone else?

Guys, sorry for any confusion. KEVIN aka Chicago Way Vito politely asked if he could pay me a compliment here in this thread showing off what I taught him through words and pictures . A few weeks back I offered to help him. He has taken a few road trips and has some skills. So I offered him advice on how to do his project. He is showing you all what we accomplished through simple communication. Thanks for understanding and having said that, hope nobody takes issue with his post. Thanks all!

Can you describe the luring process in more detail, please?

Luring....It a process using oil.

When. I recently asked a hatter this question, which was just to confirm product, I was told he charges 1000.00 for this in his training course. That was the end of the conversation .

And I had just spent nearly a thousand dollars on ribbon a few days earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran