Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ANJ-4 jackets

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys, I've admired these jackets for some time, and am nearly in a position to pick one up. I would love to see the Anj-4 owners put up some pics of jackets being worn. I haven't seen too many...at this stage am leaning towards probably an aero, it was the first one I saw, and really liked it. Cheers.

Plumbline

One Too Many
IMHO the most practical of the wartime shearling jackets .... for one reason .... pockets.

Having had 8 ... from 4 different manufacturers ..... 3 x Aero, 3 x Eastman, 1 x Lost Worlds, 1 x US Web based manufacturer I think it was "Flightjackets.com" or their precursor ( It was some time ago and I didn't know any better :D) .... and having handled many more both originals ( which tend to be a VERY fragile affair) I can honestly say that the Eastman ANJ-4 is the finest ANJ-4 available.

The Lost Worlds is by far the most heavyweight ( were Stuart gets this sheepskin is a mystery but it's seriously heavyweight and tough as nails ) .. the Aero is/was also amazing but my experience is limited to the previous regime - when they had one of the finest sheepskin jacket seamstresses around - who is now with Alexander Leathers. The Aero historically ran about a size bigger than Eastman and Lost worlds was on a par with Eastman but "felt" neater due to the hide.

There are pics of me in a few of mine on the site certainly two of the Eastmans and two of the Aero's ... not sure I took any of the Lost Worlds and sold it about 4 years ago the flightjackets .com one I had for around 6 months and sold on ebay.

I now only have one left ... the Eastman :D

HTH

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for that, I really liked the Eastman too, they look a very practical jacket, and although I love the b3 and D1, for me, they look too bulky and warm to wear regularly.the Anj-4 seems like a jacket I would get a lot of use out of.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
ANJ4, best looking sheepskin ever:cool: I think my B3 is just as warm but to be honest why did they make it so asymmetrical? The single pocket and for an unknown reason to me, the weird zip arrangement. Why sew the zip tape into the jacket one side and leave the other to be sewn over the top?
Eastman used to do a covered zip tape B3 and describe it as 'better looking', but I think this option has been discontinued due to customers requesting more historically correct designs.
Yes the ANJ4 or even the M445A, now that was a warm jacket, I just outgrew it(read too many sausage sandwiches):p
J

Stormpaw

New in Town
Here is a photograph of my new Lost Worlds ANJ-4 doing its job.

IMG_06342.JPG

I couldn't be happier with the jacket.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Great jacket, how about some detail shots?
Great bike too, I've always liked the modern Sportster style over the 'Super Bagger' FLH(Thats my name for the Ultra Heritage Road King Glide genre). Love Knuckles, Pans and early Shovels though:cool:
And thats coming from a 'Busa' rider in full Power Ranger gear:eeek:

TeeJay

New in Town
@Stormpaw That's a great picture!!! If I would be you, I would print it on professional photopaper and put it into my living room!

B-24J

One of the Regulars

John Lever

One Too Many
Never seen those eyelets,very nice detail.
My RMNZ is still the best Anj4 I have ever owner by some distance.
Stormpaw,your jacket looks amazing. Selling my LW was one of biggest ever mistakes.

Stormpaw

New in Town
John, you are looking good there. I love seeing original jackets. It is amazing seeing a 70 year old jacket that looks almost new.

I am pretty sure the Lost World jackets do not have the rivets below the zipper (and I haven't seen it in the pictures of any of the other reproduction jackets either). I would post more details, but I have been traveling and the jacket isn't with me at the moment (it is far to warm for airliners and would almost take up a suitcase by itself). I wonder if that was unique to Arnoff Shoe Co.

There are a couple of other details that are obviously different as well. The pocket flap shape is quite different, and the use of buttons instead of snaps on the pockets (snaps sure would have been more handy). The ANJ-4 probably varied as much between manufactures as the A-2 did.

Regards,
Stormpaw

Last edited:

Stormpaw

New in Town
Also, thank you gentlemen. The jacket hasn't even started to break in yet, but it already fits and feels great.

I have put a lot of work into that Sportster. We are partners. I try to keep it running, and it tries to get me where I need to go. Sometimes we both fail. It will be getting some new jugs this spring. Knuckleheads have always been my favorite, but classic bikes are a bit to much work for daily riding.

Bunyip, you will definitely have to show us the pictures ofter you make up your mind, your Dyna is waiting.

Stormpaw

Last edited:

Stormpaw

New in Town
Oh, that is interesting.

I couldn't remember where I saw those pictures. The LW jackets (and the Eastman jackets) are definitely modeled after the second version. The Aero jackets seem to be modeled after the third.

Also, thank you. Those boot have a lot of miles on them, and I plan to put on many more. Though, they may need resoled in a few years.

Stormpaw

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Also, thank you gentlemen. The jacket hasn't even started to break in yet, but it already fits and feels great.

I have put a lot of work into that Sportster. We are partners. I try to keep it running, and it tries to get me where I need to go. Sometimes we both fail. It will be getting some new jugs this spring. Knuckleheads have always been my favorite, but classic bikes are a bit to much work for daily riding.

Bunyip, you will definitely have to show us the pictures ofter you make up your mind, your Dyna is waiting.

Stormpaw
My last bike was an 04 sporty that I spent truckloads on...my uncle bought it off me before I bought the dyna....jackets,bikes and boots are nice cheap hobbies...said no one, ever.....

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I love the ANJ4(as previously stated) but out of all the versions I like them best with the ring snaps on the pockets. Eastmans early jackets look best in my opinion, just a shame the finish was not that durable. Has it improved?

Here's an original, Star Sportswear I think ,as it is long gone.

P1230004.jpg

An M445A

P1230009.jpg

P1230011.jpg

And the Eastman finish. It looks nothing like the original polyacrylate (this jacket is over 20 years old now)

P5080003.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Those early ELC B3's and Anj4's had steerhide facings rather than the correct hh.

Hi John, when I ordered this 'Anjy4' as I call it, Eastman gave the option of steer,or horse at £25 extra, quite a bit back then. Still have one of those old sample catalogues someplace, I used to use the samples to patch various jackets.

John Lever

One Too Many
Ha ha !
Me too. I found a 20 year old sample card last week. The Anj4 I am wearing in the pic in this thread is definitely steer. It's pretty lifeless.
like the old sheepskin but the trim is a poor match.
BTW the Aero was made out of old skins I bought from Fenland and sent up to Aero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner