Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone wear grey hair?

the Milliner

New in Town
I dyed my hair until almost 3 years ago, just before marrying a white haired man. You can see an inch of grey in my up-do in our wedding photos. I must confess, I hated growing it out, thought I looked awful and got a lot of looks from people in my new (and snobby) neighborhood.
But I didn't cave. I just got regular haircuts and ignored the colorists recommendations as well as a few comments and now I couldnt be happier! My new salt and pepper hair is shiny and pretty and the gorgeous color is free even though I have been asked several times who does my color like that. I never have to rush off and get a touch up because I never have roots and I look even better in diamonds than before.

Lillemor

One Too Many
It's an individual decision but I'd prefer that people be encouraged to care for their grey hair because many don't know how and that's why their grey doesn't look as good as it could. I'm already reading all I can about grey hair so when I see them, I'll know how to care for them because I'm in no way willing to start a dye routine!

crwritt

One Too Many
Marcia said:
I dyed my hair until almost 3 years ago, just before marrying a white haired man. You can see an inch of grey in my up-do in our wedding photos. I must confess, I hated growing it out, thought I looked awful and got a lot of looks from people in my new (and snobby) neighborhood.
But I didn't cave. I just got regular haircuts and ignored the colorists recommendations as well as a few comments and now I couldnt be happier! My new salt and pepper hair is shiny and pretty and the gorgeous color is free even though I have been asked several times who does my color like that. I never have to rush off and get a touch up because I never have roots and I look even better in diamonds than before.

Good for you, Marcia! I agree with you that the transition can be unsettling, but now I'm glad I stopped coloring. I think its been about eight months. Right about the same time I stopped straightening my natural wave as well. I think I have about three more haircuts to go before all of the remaining color has gone.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So it begins...

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I found my first grey hair today. It's right on my part, the jerk! lol And it's only an inch long. That's weird isn't it?

At first, all you get are these random short hairs that stick up no matter what you do. They will drive you mad. If you only have a few you can pluck them, but old wives tales say that doubles them.... I doubt it, they would double anyway with time.

Gray hair is drier and usually a different texture than your original hair, so it breaks off easily and the new ones tend to stick out (even when long). I have had to use heavier conditioner since it became mostly gray/dyed.

I can't wait until it's all silver, though!

Inky

One Too Many
this fabulous photo of a beautiful Jamie Lee Curtis is *almost* enough to motivate me to let my hair go natural and cut it all off again (i've had short hair more than 40 of my almost 50 years).

Stunning!

4193038225_f0b3a600ab_o.jpg

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
This has been such a great thread. In addition to hoping we get some updates on everyone's progress or if anyone has since tried to grow out their gray, I have some amusing gray-haired anecdotes to share:

1) I'm two and a half weeks into growing a beard; it's mostly white--about 60/40.

2) My barber (a WWII veteran) says that people don't get gray hair, only animals! He stated that people get white hair. He has a wonderful head of white hair...

3) While getting my passport renewed last week, I had to ask someone exactly what my hair color was! lol I used to write "blonde" without question but now it's more silver/gray/white/whatever than anything else! The lady I asked paused for a bit before finally answering, "It's a couple of colors!"

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
Jamie Lee Curtis is gorgeous! I've had super short hair a lot of my life too...she looks so chic, makes me want to cut it all off too!

I have one or two gray hairs that have popped up over the past 3 or 4 years, but I pluck them out...I was completely shocked when I found my first gray at 23. :eek:

A couple of days ago I found a group of 3!! gray hairs at my temple...FOR SURE they got ripped out! lol

But I have been contemplating letting them stay. I am 27 yo, and people STILL think I am in high school...late teens/early 20's. It's WONDERFUL, believe me...but lately it's frustrating, because I'm NOT a kid anymore. I think maybe if I leave my gray hairs there for all to see, people might see me as a woman and not a young'un? [huh]

Foofoogal

Banned
Even though Jamie Lee Curtis is my honeys imaginary love. (mine is Kevin Costner) I had about 1 1/2 inches of gray and chickened out.
I felt I looked way too drab. So now I have a dark reddish brown color and get lots of compliments on it. I do see some ladies with salt and pepper that look very nice. Maybe I will try it again in a few years.

Miss 1929

Nathan Dodge said:
2) My barber (a WWII veteran) says that people don't get gray hair, only animals! He stated that people get white hair. He has a wonderful head of white hair...

Not true. My mother has a beautiful head of natural, steel gray hair.

Many people do go white, but not all.

Major2Minor

New in Town
I'm 25 and already greying, it just started appearing when I split from my husband, I'm dying it now. I wish you could just go grey overnight, then my whole head of hair would be ready to take a pillar box red!

I think there's nothing wrong at all with grey/white hair as long as it's styled, like a previous poster I once walked past a woman who had a tailored suit on, with grey hair in a sharp bob, she looked so stylish. That was 13 years ago, and she was so striking, I havent forgotten her yet.

I'd give my eye teeth to be striking!

Miss 1929

And after much persuasion, Sr. 1929 finally admits he never liked the stripes. So I will keep dying all of it until my face age catches up with my hair age. After all, if I don't look good in his eyes, it defeats the purpose!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
Like an idiot, I dyed over my stripes. I guess I needed a change. I miss them. They will come back, but it will probably take a while.
Me, too! Once the old color was completely gone, I had a lot more stripes. The only solid white was right on top. My first post-stripes color was semi-permanent, then I took the plunge to a permanent color. After 2wks, I'm already seeing roots and hate the whole coloring process again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo