Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone wear grey hair?

Louise Anne

Suspended
I think grey is a wonderful shade and not worn much today I think it is wrongly thought as been a "Old Lady " shade which I think is very wrong these days
as some of you already know I recently started wearing grey, OK the first reaction I has was "You look like granny" from a close friends , however she warming to it when she seeing a little more of the cloths I am teaming up with it.

I would recommend any one to try grey, I know it would take a little getting use to but I do think it's the clothes and how you wear them that makes the look.
paulinem.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Pauline, what makes your look is that even though your hair is grey, your outfit is very stylish and youthful. My problem was that I don't always have time for makeup or dressing up everyday, so the days when I was just in jeans and a t-shirt, I felt very matronly.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Puzzicato said:
All of a sudden I am noticing a lot more grey in my hair. I've been wondering if it is possible to speed up the process to get it over with? I love the look of silver hair with a youthful face, like Carmen dell'Orefice.

I just see it more as wearing a different look and like any change in style opening up new style areas for you also.

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
I love grey hair when its the right shade/style. They key I think is matching the shade of grey with your skin. Often the natural shade of grey can drain the face of colour, or sometimes it grows out perfectly, its a gamble! I saw a woman last night on the train and she had a few streaks of grey through her really brown/black hair, with some red lippy, looked great, so classy.

I quite like this shade on kelly osbourne too

dd3f2a36eab85829_Untitled-1.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
bettydarling said:
I love grey hair when its the right shade/style. They key I think is matching the shade of grey with your skin. Often the natural shade of grey can drain the face of colour, or sometimes it grows out perfectly, its a gamble! I saw a woman last night on the train and she had a few streaks of grey through her really brown/black hair, with some red lippy, looked great, so classy.

I quite like this shade on kelly osbourne too

dd3f2a36eab85829_Untitled-1.jpg

Kelly is looking so mature! I really like her dress. Very unusual for a gal her age to choose gray hair.
As for me, the reason I am transitioning from artificial color to age appropriate gray is that I just don't want the fuss and expense of coloring anymore.

crwritt

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Pauline, what makes your look is that even though your hair is grey, your outfit is very stylish and youthful. My problem was that I don't always have time for makeup or dressing up everyday, so the days when I was just in jeans and a t-shirt, I felt very matronly.
I feel like I look matronly when I've set and styled my graying hair.I like it better with my natural color/ natural curl.
Today I set it in rollers and took awhile styling it into a bouffant. Something wasn't right, I had to wet it and mess it up to get a more natural look.

crwritt

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
All of a sudden I am noticing a lot more grey in my hair. I've been wondering if it is possible to speed up the process to get it over with? I love the look of silver hair with a youthful face, like Carmen dell'Orefice.
A terrible shock or stress would do it. When my greataunt's husband was away in the service, he came home to a white haired woman.
Or, you can have highlights done with a silver gray toner.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
crwritt said:
A terrible shock or stress would do it. When my greataunt's husband was away in the service, he came home to a white haired woman.
Or, you can have highlights done with a silver gray toner.

I don't like the idea of shock & stress - but I suspect when my hair dresser tells me how much she's going to charge me for silver grey highlights, it'll send me grey!

annet

One of the Regulars
i've recently started to notice grey hairs (i'm 21 now)
my dad started going grey at 23, looks like i have his genes.
i'm way too lazy to dye my hair so for now i just pull out the ones that i notice and leave it like it is.

i don't think i'd really care about a few visible grey hairs. my face apparently looks really young so i don't think it will make me look super old. maybe i'll finally get rid of the 'ooooh you're so cute i just want to pinch your cheeks and keep you in a box' comments!

green papaya

One Too Many
anthony-bourdain-1fdc245f8a02a3c5.jpg

AnthonyBourdain.jpg

Anthony Bourdain has the natural grey look, some people look better with natural grey or silver hair like him

but I think it looks best on a man, it makes him look more distinguished and adds character, a woman starts looking too much like a grandma with grey hair.

crwritt

One Too Many
AnthonyBourdain.jpg

but I think it looks best on a man, it makes him look more distinguished and adds character, a woman starts looking too much like a grandma with grey hair.[/b][/QUOTE]

He does have nice hair, and he's good looking, he'd look good with any color hair. Women can also look fantastic with gray hair.
Artificial color on an older woman can look cheesy and fake. These days I'd rather look like grandma (I am one) and act as young as I feel than try to fake a youthful look. I'll add that its taken me a year to grow out my dyed hair, and I don't plan to put myself through that again.

LittleMissPussyCat

Familiar Face
My hair is beginning to grey as I have a condition called vitiligo, so I have white patches on my skin and streaks of grey/white hair, I used to pull out the odd grey hairs but now I actually like them as they add interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner