Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I've never used Scout but have used talcum powder before to absorb some stains. If it won't brush off I use an air compressor to blow it off. I also use an air compressor to blow any dust off an old hat when I first get it. I've found that sometimes just brushing one will drive the dust in deeper.
That's a pretty brilliant idea, as randooch stated, why didn't I think of that, thanks Landman

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I got 90 weight gear oil on a Stetson 100% beaver western silver belly (one on my head in avatar) and used talcum powder to get it out. I was in awe of how well it did. I can't find the spot today and can't smell the rank gear oil smell. I applied and brushed/vacuumed/blew off the talc and repeated the apply and clean probably 6 or 7 times. I have not tried it on dark hats.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is the most harrowing story I've heard in a while. It makes me shudder. Just today I wore my 7x clear beaver Stetson, recently blocked to my liking, thinking to myself how clean it looks. Now that I've said that, I'm sure something will happen to it.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Uh oh...

017oad.jpg

Yeah, so the cloth measuring tape I have been using to measure my head for the past 4 years turns out to be frayed enough that I have apparently been... enhancing... my head circumference by almost a full centimenter the whole time. What!?

I'm apparently 22 1/16", very close to 56 cm, but I'm a little confused, because most size 7 hats have seemed a tad snug.

Now I'm confused and believe that my perception is all flawed. Advice, anyone?

JonnyO

A-List Customer
017oad.jpg

Yeah, so the cloth measuring tape I have been using to measure my head for the past 4 years turns out to be frayed enough that I have apparently been... enhancing... my head circumference by almost a full centimenter the whole time. What!?

I'm apparently 22 1/16", very close to 56 cm, but I'm a little confused, because most size 7 hats have seemed a tad snug.

Maybe long oval or wide oval? I have all size 7 and 7 1/8 and some 7s seems snug while some dont fit at all and some 7 1/8s fit perfectly while others are a little loose. I still have yet to figure it out myself.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
017oad.jpg

My advice is to involve a third tape measure. have you seen old Three Stooges episodes where Curly wears 3 watches to tell the time? One of them runs fast, one slow, one not at all. He takes the average and goes by that. :)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Yes-- I am definitely a long oval, but was under the impression that the shape isn't affected by the circumference. Your situation does sound awfully close to home, though. Thanks!

lol I like that average, Randall!

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Now to the topic of blocks. Where would one go about locating a good priced hat block, doesn't have to be vintage, just looking for one to use when brushing back to an open crown.

Printable head measure

Am I the only one of us who has tried this? Does anyone else have any experience, positive or not? I was VERY skeptical.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Am I the only one of us who has tried this? Does anyone else have any experience, positive or not? I was VERY skeptical.

I have not tried it but as long as the driver and application are setup correctly when printing it will probably work just fine. Even cheaper printers these days probably have good enough registration (printer calibration and accuracy) that it will be accurate enough. PDF is a sophisticated language with is very accurate for line lengths and widths as is page description languages like PCL and PostScript which is what the printers typically use--I speak from experience as I worked with printer hardware and software development for over 13 years. The key is to follow the directions completely. You could always take a ruler or tape and check it against it to insure that it is reasonably accurate for each centimeter if you are that worried. As long as each centimeter is accurate the total length should be fine.

I suppose I could examine the PDF source code to determine how accurate it is but I'm feeling too lazy to do that....

Really it's a pretty good idea. I think I have seen someone else that is using something like this as well.

Last edited:
A clever scale/accuracy check

I have not tried it but as long as the driver and application are setup correctly when printing it will probably work just fine. Even cheaper printers these days probably have good enough registration (printer calibration and accuracy) that it will be accurate enough. PDF is a sophisticated language with is very accurate for line lengths and widths as is page description languages like PCL and PostScript which is what the printers typically use--I speak from experience as I worked with printer hardware and software development for over 13 years. The key is to follow the directions completely. You could always take a ruler or tape and check it against it to insure that it is reasonably accurate for each centimeter if you are that worried. As long as each centimeter is accurate the total length should be fine.

I suppose I could examine the PDF source code to determine how accurate it is but I'm feeling too lazy to do that....

Really it's a pretty good idea. I think I have seen someone else that is using something like this as well.

You can verify the accuracy much more easily by simply placing a penny on the circle on the printed page. That's their idea... If it fits the circle perfectly, you have the scaling correct. I have successfully printed this on two different printers.

Walt

One of the Regulars
You can verify the accuracy much more easily by simply placing a penny on the circle on the printed page. That's their idea... If it fits the circle perfectly, you have the scaling correct. I have successfully printed this on two different printers.

Yes, the penny will work just fine which is what I meant about following the directions. I thought by your earlier statement you were unsure about its accuracy. Cheers! ;)

howardeye

Practically Family
(assuming the "e" is a typo and the question isn't something esoteric)

Most new threads are started by new members asking questions that have already been answered many, many times. Other times, someone might just remember that there is an existing thread on a topic, but can't seem to find the thread. Rather than starting a new thread asking "where's that thread I need", they can ask here.

Hello. I am new to this forum and not too smart about Fedoras. I would like some advice about a Pork Pie Hat. I do not know if they are Fedoras but they come up on the page when I search for fedoras. I have seen this fabulous Vintage Dobbs Pork Pie hat on eBay Buy Now or Best Offer free shipping for $115. I went to the local mall and tried on a Pork Pie not a high end model. It was round and would not fit my oval head like the Dobbs and Stetson Stingys I wear. Are all Pork Pies shaped like this? I would hate to buy a hat and not be able to wear it. It is a great looker especially with the wide band. Thank You.

Landman

One Too Many
I got 90 weight gear oil on a Stetson 100% beaver western silver belly (one on my head in avatar) and used talcum powder to get it out. I was in awe of how well it did. I can't find the spot today and can't smell the rank gear oil smell. I applied and brushed/vacuumed/blew off the talc and repeated the apply and clean probably 6 or 7 times. I have not tried it on dark hats.

Talcum powder does work great. What I do is lightly pile a mound of it on the spot but don't rub it in. Just let it sit there for a day or two then blow it off with an air compressor. If you brush it off you run the risk of spreading the oil it absorbed. If it doesn't get it all the first time then I repeat the process. I only brush it once the stain is removed as best as possible. So far I have been lucky and cleaned up some pretty oily spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails