Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I would say that all depends where you're located,If it's only a cleaning I wouldn't think it should be a problem?Hopefully you have a local hat shop or Western shop near by?To ship it you might not be so lucky.

Sorry Randooch Guess I was typing at the same time didn't see that you said basically the same thing.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My local hat shop can turn a cleaning around in a week....if you happen to drop off your hat on the day that their hat cleaning guy picks up.

Two weeks is a very tight timeframe. It doesn't hurt to give a call to Cleanahat.com or Optimo to see if they can accommodate you, but seems like a longshot to me.

TallCrownDave

New in Town
My local hat shop can turn a cleaning around in a week....if you happen to drop off your hat on the day that their hat cleaning guy picks up.

Two weeks is a very tight timeframe. It doesn't hurt to give a call to Cleanahat.com or Optimo to see if they can accommodate you, but seems like a longshot to me.

Jared, where do you go in the City for hat cleaning?

Dave

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Jared, where do you go in the City for hat cleaning?

Dave

The shop I'm referring to is Hat Guys in Oakland on Broadway. Their cleaning guy comes by every week or two. I'm not sure he's so adept at handling vintage hats, because he glued back in the liner of my 50's Open Road....that ticked me off a bit so I haven't been back (not Hat Guy's fault per se, their cleaning guy is a third party who does work for them). $50.

Paul's Hat Works will do a full clean and reblock for $150, but that seems really, really high to me. The next hat that needs cleaning is off to Northwest hats, as soon as I find an appropriately sized box.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Alright, so I have a beautiful Panama sitting at home waiting to be worn on my cruise to the Caribbean at the end of the month. Currently it is sitting with no ribbon on it, what color do you think would work with this panama?
T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHCzzBQeD6V7M60_57_zps7dbc1af5.jpg

TallCrownDave

New in Town
The shop I'm referring to is Hat Guys in Oakland on Broadway. Their cleaning guy comes by every week or two. I'm not sure he's so adept at handling vintage hats, because he glued back in the liner of my 50's Open Road....that ticked me off a bit so I haven't been back (not Hat Guy's fault per se, their cleaning guy is a third party who does work for them). $50.

Paul's Hat Works will do a full clean and reblock for $150, but that seems really, really high to me. The next hat that needs cleaning is off to Northwest hats, as soon as I find an appropriately sized box.

Thanks, Jared. I was at Paul's yesterday. Great place for that vintage ambiance. 150 for full clean and block is too high for me, though. They should offer a chemical cleaning option in the lower price range.

Dave

m0nk

One Too Many
Alright, so I have a beautiful Panama sitting at home waiting to be worn on my cruise to the Caribbean at the end of the month. Currently it is sitting with no ribbon on it, what color do you think would work with this panama?
T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHCzzBQeD6V7M60_57_zps7dbc1af5.jpg
That's a nice looking hat. If you don't keep the black, a nice tannish-grey (or some shade of sahara) would look great.

Mystic

Practically Family
When did JCP begin using the Penny's Towncraft label and who made these hats for them?

Was it during the time of Lee hats or after Lee was bought out?

Wanted to add to this inquiry. This is a Penny's Towncraft Plus. I believe it to be a 60's hat so it would be after Lee was bought out.
Who would have been making this hat for JCP in the 60's. Note the felted edge reference on the sweat.
Liner & sweat Penny's Towncraft Plus.
PennysTowncraftPlus.jpg
[/IMG]
pennysTowncraft2.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
That's a nice looking hat. If you don't keep the black, a nice tannish-grey (or some shade of sahara) would look great.

I agree with Monk, that would make it pretty versatile. If you wanted to be crazy you could get a fancy Hawaiian print pug for it but that would limit what you could wear with it. Nice hat by the way.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Really nice Panama Jonny,as far as ribbon changes I've personally always thought that the black keeps it a classic look which I like.If you go on the wild side as Hatophile mentioned in my opinion it would make you look like the rest of the tourists on the beach,boat ect;Guess it comes down to which look are you going for?Again real nice hat.JMO

Last edited:

JonnyO

A-List Customer
m0nk, hatophile, & Historyteach: Thank you for your input, I'm really leaning towards an Emerald Green since I will be bringing along a brown suit and I feel it may fit in with the Caribbean background. I bought this set of ribbon though so I do have other options.

il_570xN400043479_okea_zps1b8f6f83.jpg

il_570xN400049669_k3kx_zps956a9ec6.jpg

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I know this has been asked before but man this place is big! Tried to search with no luck. When did Stetson use fake leather sweats? Did they? I have had a few that I'm not sure about. They seem to be early 80's or so, western felt, 5x. One 3x that I no longer have. I have a 4x from around the same time that has a real leather sweat. Not sure what to think.

sierra 18

New in Town
Asking a question; does anyone have an opinion/experience with Mayser Aussie felt hat, which comes with ear flaps for the cooler weather. I have no experience with this brand, and was curious as to opinions either about the specific hat I'm looking for, or about Mayser in general. Thanks for your help & advice,

Chris

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Asking a question; does anyone have an opinion/experience with Mayser Aussie felt hat, which comes with ear flaps for the cooler weather. I have no experience with this brand, and was curious as to opinions either about the specific hat I'm looking for, or about Mayser in general. Thanks for your help & advice,

Chris

Hi Chris,If you go to the German and Austrian Hat thread I think one of our members either works for them or has worked for them?(don't quote me though)His name is Mayserwegener if I'm not mistaken,I'm sure they will be able to answer your question there if you don't receive one here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner