Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
On Knox hats is “Premier “ a style or model name or a quality of material rating? I see people posting about a Knox Premier but I also see listings for Knox Premier Fifth Ave fedoras too. I searched the School of Hard Knox thread but I didn’t find an answer so I came here.

Fedora Lounge, i need your opinion on the crown height of this hat. i’ve been wearing this hat a lot lately but at the same time, somewhat self conscious that the crown might be a bit too tall for me.

give it to me straight now. would appreciate your honest opinions :) View attachment 601248
View attachment 601249

View attachment 601250

(p.s. sorry if 3 pix are excessive for this question lol)

Looks great. I’d say you’re in your sweet spot .

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Fedora Lounge, i need your opinion on the crown height of this hat. i’ve been wearing this hat a lot lately but at the same time, somewhat self conscious that the crown might be a bit too tall for me.

give it to me straight now. would appreciate your honest opinions :) View attachment 601248
View attachment 601249

View attachment 601250

You've received a lot of positive responses and I agree with all of them.

Looks good on you. So wear the heck out of it.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have any info on this hat brand? I believe it's early 1960's but I can't find any information on it. It's not the same as the Bates hats from England, so that is not the place to post for info on this hat. The felt is very similar
Bates hat pic 4.jpg
Bates hat pic 3.jpg
Bates hat pic 2.jpg
Bates hat pic 6.jpg
Bates hat pic 7.jpg
Bates hat pic 5.jpg
Bates hat pics 1.jpg
to an early Open Road with a 4 1/2" creased crown and 2 3/4" brim.

StoryPNW

Practically Family

View attachment 601249

View attachment 601250

I like it! I still feel the same way about some of my taller crowns sometimes. What hat is this?

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Since I didn't get any info on my inquiry about the Bates hat I posted, perhaps someone could answer this one. I noticed an earlier post where someone posted pics of a hat from the Pilgrim hat company. I believe it was 1950s. One of the pics showed the liner with the cowboy on a bucking horse. This design is identical to the one I'm showing on my Bates hat from what I believe to be the early 1960s. With this being said, is the one I have shown and the Pilgrim brand hat, one and the same company? Did Pilgrim hats make this Bates hat or vice versa? Is the Bates hat I'm showing the same Bates hat company as the one from England? It's odd that they would have the same liner logo.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Pilgrim was a Sears house brand and some were made by Byer-Rolnick (Resistol). The factory sticker in your Bates is similar to ones I’ve seen in Byer-Rolnick made hats.
Thank you, Bob, I really appreciate that information and I never would have even thought that. So, would I be right thinking this Bates is entirely different than the Bates hats from England?

Thank you, Bob, I really appreciate that information and I never would have even thought that. So, would I be right thinking this Bates is entirely different than the Bates hats from England?

I don’t know enough to say that for sure. Can you show all of that factory sticker for any clues? Is the size a US size? If it was made for export I would think it would say “Made in England” or similar on the sweatband.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
I don’t know enough to say that for sure. Can you show all of that factory sticker for any clues? Is the size a US size? If it was made for export I would think it would say “Made in England” or similar on the sweatband.
Here's some pics Bob. I have two of these hats and they're identical. There's nothing to indicate they're made in England. So, I'm going on this to think that these Bates hats aren't associated with he company in England.

Attachments

• Bates hat pic 6.jpg
    Bates hat pic 6.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Bates hat pic 2.jpg
    Bates hat pic 2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Bates hat pics 1.jpg
    Bates hat pics 1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Bates selling 2.jpg
    Bates selling 2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Bates selling 1.jpg
    Bates selling 1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 31

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Here's some pics Bob. I have two of these hats and they're identical. There's nothing to indicate they're made in England. So, I'm going on this to think that these Bates hats aren't associated with he company in England.
I'd definitely say they're not associated with Bates of England. Bates is a well known hat establishment, so I'm sure they'd want people to know if it was one of theirs.

I think Bob is on the right lines.

jdouglasj

Familiar Face
Anyone have experience with the Atzi hat boxes advertised on Ebay? I'd like something that would allow me to put the hat in the overhead bin without getting crushed. I could also go with small leather suitcase, I guess, which would hold books, papers, etc. and then when I get on the plane I could remove the books and put in the hat.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I am being forgetful and can not easily find my answer searching TFL: What is the Stetson Open Road block and Stetson Stratoliner block numbers?

Thanks in advance. My searches and scrolling through the Open Road threads have me with no answer to remind me.

Cheers, Eric -

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I am being forgetful and can not easily find my answer searching TFL: What is the Stetson Open Road block and Stetson Stratoliner block numbers?

Thanks in advance. My searches and scrolling through the Open Road threads have me with no answer to remind me.

Cheers, Eric -
I'm pretty sure the OR is the #52. Not sure if the strat is the same though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner