Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Autumnal Thoughts........

Change is upon us, like it or not. Think it may be time for flannel shirts. The trees are putting on their fall colors, football is in full swing, the air has a crisp feeling most days, the air conditioner has stopped, Halloween isn't far off, just go to Lowes and see the giant skeletons, soon we will be thinking of turkey and stuffing, and then on to winter and Christmas and New Years, and how far away Spring really is.

Must be nice. In this corner of the world the weather monkeys are still guesstimating mid-70s to mid-80s as the high temperatures for the next two weeks. It's better than being in the 90s or above, but...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Change is upon us, like it or not. Think it may be time for flannel shirts. The trees are putting on their fall colors, football is in full swing, the air has a crisp feeling most days, the air conditioner has stopped, Halloween isn't far off, just go to Lowes and see the giant skeletons, soon we will be thinking of turkey and stuffing, and then on to winter and Christmas and New Years, and how far away Spring really is.

I think I'm ready for some pumpkin spice Budweiser, ahhh autumn.
Ah yes, and trying to drive home after that beer. Not a good idea!
driving licence 001.JPG

I actually saw this yesterday, from the car's registration I could tell that it's less than a year old. The insurance accident report that the driver will have to fill in might get creative.

Zachary

One of the Regulars
I actually saw this yesterday, from the car's registration I could tell that it's less than a year old. The insurance accident report that the driver will have to fill in might get creative.

Well, actually, in such letters I have already seen things such as "Despite steering wildly left and right, I didn't manage to avoid a collision with the aforementioned tree."
Or: "My car slided along the guardrail, turned over multiple times, and hit a tree. After this, I lost control of my car."
Another classical: "The pedestrian apparently had no idea which direction to go, thus I ran over him."

kaiser

A-List Customer
Just read this one and think it fits very well to this time of year:

“There is a time in late September when the leaves are still green, and the days are still warm, but somehow you know that it is all about to end, as if summer was holding its breath, and when it let it out again, it would be autumn.”
King’s Mountain by Sharyn McCrumb

Hah, that's good! Today, we got dry but really cold wind in old Germany. A touch of autumn is winking around the corner.
Some short-sleeved folks will surely have a serious cold, tomorrow.

I had my brandnew sporty Fleece/Softshell mix-jacket on, of course with a nice warming stand-up collar and that was the excellent choice for today!

Now enjoying a foothbath with aromatic mountain pine. :p

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Just read this one and think it fits very well to this time of year:

“There is a time in late September when the leaves are still green, and the days are still warm, but somehow you know that it is all about to end, as if summer was holding its breath, and when it let it out again, it would be autumn.”
King’s Mountain by Sharyn McCrumb
''Indian summer is like a woman. Ripe, hotly passionate, but fickle, she comes and goes as she pleases
so that one is never sure if she will come at all, nor for how long she will stay. In northern New England,
Indian summer puts up a scarlet-tipped hand to hold winter back for a little while.''
Grace Metalious-PEYTON PLACE

I was born twenty years after Peyton Place emerged on scene and its author perished from drink,
but like a distant relation of mine, Jane Austen, or Edith Wharton, the Brontes, Elizabrth Browning, Emily Dickinson these women more so than men formed my mind.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Herr: es ist Zeit. Der Sommer war sehr groß.
Leg deinen Schatten auf die Sonnenuhren,
und auf den Fluren laß die Winde los.

Befiehl den letzten Früchten voll zu sein;
gib ihnen noch zwei südlichere Tage,
dränge sie zur Vollendung hin und jage
die letzte Süße in den schweren Wein.

Wer jetzt kein Haus hat, baut sich keines mehr.
Wer jetzt allein ist, wird es lange bleiben,
wird wachen, lesen, lange Briefe schreiben
und wird in den Alleen hin und her
unruhig wandern, wenn die Blätter treiben.

RM Rilke

Slooowly getting autumnly, here in old Germany.

But I like the temps getting a little down. Better for my shorthikes.
Today doing experiment. Instead of cozy Cord trousers, I'm trying one of these "functional leggings/tights", for the first time.
Let's see, how they will work on my after lunch short hike with circa 8/9 kilometers.

PS:
BLACK leggings, of course! ;)

I still don't give a poop on halloween commerce, but if you can find these friendly looking LED guys, give them a try. :)

Attachments

• IMGP7595.JPG
    IMGP7595.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP7596.JPG
    IMGP7596.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 38

GHT

I'll Lock Up
''Indian summer is like a woman. Ripe, hotly passionate, but fickle, she comes and goes as she pleases
so that one is never sure if she will come at all, nor for how long she will stay. In northern New England,
Indian summer puts up a scarlet-tipped hand to hold winter back for a little while.''
That is exactly so, two weeks ago the glorious sunshine was tinged with the concern of global warming, but last night, at a rather good Great Gatsby themed function, at a coastal hotel in the popular resort of Bournemouth, the strong wind driving the heavy rain along the sea front, made the concern of global warming far less alarming. Bring back that Indian summer of two weeks ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner