Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR 55J14 G-1 Jacket Review & pics

GregGale

One of the Regulars
@CBI : yes they are, but I want to patch it, which I'd never do with an original. The sizing is also a hit or miss, but with AVI I could order different sizes and choose. And also, it's new, it has nothing to fix, it's not dirty, and it doesn't smell funny.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the detailed review Brett!

Based on your experience and the fitpics of you and Greg i ordered "my" G1 from them - have not been certain about the size so i followed your advice and ordered a 44 and a 46 (i usually wear 44) - the jackets arrived within 2 days from Denmark to Germany

The 44 was a bit too snug and when i strechted my armes pretending to ride a motorbike the sleeves where on the short side. especially around the chest the jacket was a thad too thight.

The 46 is a perfect fit and I'm really pleased with the quality!

The 44 was sent back to Denmark and within 5 days the money was refunded back to my PP account.

I owned a ELC M422 before (yeah is NOT a G1) and compared the quality the AVI was almost there for a third of the price of the ELC. I have to admit I'm not that into all "bits and bytes" in terms of the details of G1`s

DbxP9Al.jpg

0yP75aD.jpg

sorry no pics in upright / standing position available right now - jacket is back in Germany whilst i`m back to Mexico for work

seres

A-List Customer
I had the opportunity to try-on the Avi Lthr G-1 recently, and I was very impressed. The leather seemed fairly thick and grainy, and the overall jacket stitching and construction was very good. The mouton collar seemed to be on the small side, which I like, and was a nice faded brown. The knits were a heavier weave, not the thinner spec weave found on most more expensive jackets.

I wear a size 42 suit, and my normal size in a G-1 is 44 for a comfortable fit. This particular jacket was tagged as a size 46, but it seemed to fit me well. The 23.75 P2P, 21.75 Waist, and 26.75 Sleeve were similar to Eastman, Goodwear and Lost Worlds jackets in size 44. However, the 21.75 Shoulder and 27.25 Back measures were more comparable to a size 46.

My only surprise was the zipper… I had never seen a zip on a G-1 with the slider on the left, Euro style. The zip was well made, smooth, and colored in an antique brass finish. But as I seldom handle a Euro style left slider, it took some getting used to.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
I had the opportunity to try-on the Avi Lthr G-1 recently, and I was very impressed. The leather seemed fairly thick and grainy, and the overall jacket stitching and construction was very good. The mouton collar seemed to be on the small side, which I like, and was a nice faded brown. The knits were a heavier weave, not the thinner spec weave found on most more expensive jackets.

I wear a size 42 suit, and my normal size in a G-1 is 44 for a comfortable fit. This particular jacket was tagged as a size 46, but it seemed to fit me well. The 23.75 P2P, 21.75 Waist, and 26.75 Sleeve were similar to Eastman, Goodwear and Lost Worlds jackets in size 44. However, the 21.75 Shoulder and 27.25 Back measures were more comparable to a size 46.

My only surprise was the zipper… I had never seen a zip on a G-1 with the slider on the left, Euro style. The zip was well made, smooth, and colored in an antique brass finish. But as I seldom handle a Euro style left slider, it took some getting used to.

Seres I think you nailed the characteristics pretty well!

I especially like the heavier knittings they are simply stronger and better keep the wind outta the sleeves when riding. I know ain`t not that "history correct" but I'm happy with that ...

Brettafett

One Too Many
I like my AVI LTHR 55J14 G-1 so much, I decided to invest in some upgrades.
There is currently an 'upgraded' version available, but I am very happy with the jacket I already have. So, to bring it up to the 'best it can be'... I replaced the zipper with a 'higher grade' repro silver Talon (provided by AVI)... Puller correctly placed on the righthand side.
I also replaced the knit with more authentic, seamless, seal brown knit from Larry over at Flightjacketknits (I elected to go with the double weave for the waistband for stretch and longevity).
The work was done by Donna over at www.thebespokeaviatorjacketcompany.co.uk, (www.horizondesigns.co.uk) and all the bits were installed beautifully.
IMG_20181028_094154286_HDR~2.jpg
I specifically asked for the cuffs to be installed in such a way as to give the sleeves a bit more length. May look like a bit of tunnelling, but I can lift my arms right up and the cuffs sit at my wrists. Nice.
IMG_20181028_094230954_HDR~2.jpg
The colour of the knit matches the chocolate brown of the goat beautifully.
Look at that grain on one of the sleeves. Goatskin is supple, feels to be correct weight and full of character.
P1250553.JPG
All said and done, I am pleased with the result, this jacket is a cracking good repro of the 55J14 contract....
P1250554.JPG
Compare with these pics of Cpt Royce Williams' G-1, likely a 55J14.
Royce Williams.jpg
Royce Williams3.png

Attachments

• IMG_20181028_093933236_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181028_093933236_HDR.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 2,704
  • IMG_20181028_093854574_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181028_093854574_HDR.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 2,469

Brettafett

One Too Many
Look at the pocket flap. Perfectly matches. And the slight shoulder droop... A pretty good copy.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I like my AVI LTHR 55J14 G-1 so much, I decided to invest in some upgrades.
There is currently an 'upgraded' version available, but I am very happy with the jacket I already have. So, to bring it up to the 'best it can be'... I replaced the zipper with a 'higher grade' repro silver Talon (provided by AVI)... Puller correctly placed on the righthand side.
I also replaced the knit with more authentic, seamless, seal brown knit from Larry over at Flightjacketknits (I elected to go with the double weave for the waistband for stretch and longevity).
The work was done by Donna over at www.thebespokeaviatorjacketcompany.co.uk, (www.horizondesigns.co.uk) and all the bits were installed beautifully.
View attachment 142309
I specifically asked for the cuffs to be installed in such a way as to give the sleeves a bit more length. May look like a bit of tunnelling, but I can lift my arms right up and the cuffs sit at my wrists. Nice.
View attachment 142310
The colour of the knit matches the chocolate brown of the goat beautifully.
Look at that grain on one of the sleeves. Goatskin is supple, feels to be correct weight and full of character.
View attachment 142311
All said and done, I am pleased with the result, this jacket is a cracking good repro of the 55J14 contract....
View attachment 142312
Compare with these pics of Cpt Royce Williams' G-1, likely a 55J14.
View attachment 142314
View attachment 142315
That looks fantastic! Well executed. What size is it? I’m very tempted to get one.
Thanks for posting this.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Mine is a 40. I tried a 40 and 42, there was very little difference... Greg has a 42, which also looks fantastic.
If you do want to get one, be aware there are two versions, this one and the recently updated version, which is the same jacket, but has a slightly darker mouton and has the upgraded zipper and knits. I'd email and ask AVI about what they have. Certainly good jacket for the price.

Skinnari

New in Town
Hey, really interested in this jacket. I've never owned a G1 and before ordering thought I'd come ask the professionals suggestion about the size. What size would you suggest for a snug fit? I'm a 5'7 (171cm) 65kg, so not a big bloke. I was thinking 38 or 40 (leaning more towards 38) any ideas? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner