Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR 55J14 G-1 Jacket Review & pics

The Bunk

New in Town
Nice jackets - I have read they are made in Asia (designed and distributed in Denmark) hence the low price - can anyone confirm this? The A2's are a pretty trim cut which is nice - not like the super wide Cockpits we discussed on another thread.

I'm assuming they're Asian, but there's no tag that specifies country of origin. Here are a couple of bad selfies I took this morning - https://imgur.com/a/YiHnq. I was wondering if I could have fit into a 38 but I don't think I would have been able to layer if I had. If anyone has any questions or wants to see closeups of anything I can try to help, though this is my first G-1 and my first goatskin jacket so I'm not the best person to ask for comparisons.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I'm assuming they're Asian, but there's no tag that specifies country of origin. Here are a couple of bad selfies I took this morning - https://imgur.com/a/YiHnq. I was wondering if I could have fit into a 38 but I don't think I would have been able to layer if I had. If anyone has any questions or wants to see closeups of anything I can try to help, though this is my first G-1 and my first goatskin jacket so I'm not the best person to ask for comparisons.

Wow, yours looks great. Looks to be a perfect fit...just right. Not too tight, not too loose. Looking forward to seeing mine now!

When they shipped yours, did they provide tracking numbers or not?

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Well, the jacket arrived today. Firstly, it's absolutely awesome for the money - seriously good value. The leather is excellent, the quality of construction feels really solid and the detailing is top notch.

Unfortunately....I won't be keeping it. It's just way too small for me. Argh! And I ordered the biggest size they do.

I think this is more to do with the original pattern they based it off than anything - I knew the G1 is slim, but I didn't realise just quite how slim it is. I am not massively overweight or anything either - I'm 23 years old and I work out every day of the week - but I just couldn't fit into this without some seriously deep breaths. I'm just the wrong build. It's mostly to do with how slender it is at the waist of the jacket - there's a pretty severe taper from chest to waist. I would need a size 48, definitely.

If you're slender though, then this is the jacket for you. It's really impressive and I wish the Avi guys all the best as they're doing some really impressive stuff. Hopefully their upcoming Bronco repro will be a better fit on me!

Measurements of this size 46 for reference:

Pit to pit 23 inches, Waist (bottom of leather, not knit) 19 inches, shoulders 21 inches, Sleeves from shoulder 26.25 inches, back length from base of collar to hem 26.3 inches.

image of a safe

Last edited:

daw

Familiar Face
ML, what's your height and weight? I have been contemplating this purchase, also in a 46. I'm 6'2", 210lb and fear it will be too small.

Thanks.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
ML, what's your height and weight? I have been contemplating this purchase, also in a 46. I'm 6'2", 210lb and fear it will be too small.

Thanks.

I'm 6"3, around 220lb. I think the length is okay but it's just the lower body section that's way too tight for me. It really will depend on how you're built - even when I'm at my slimmest, I'm still pretty chunky!

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
That's unfortunate. I wonder what maker the original one was.

My ELC G-1 is a Foster homage so I've been told and as such has the broad shoulders and narrow waist. But nothing like your model.

I'm 6'1" and 220lbs...not as svelte as I used to be. But while my ELC does taper in nicely, it still does not feel tight.

I wonder if the original were that snug. Certainly later and earlier models weren't.

Here's the ELC:

df82b151cfa4839390a87edd40947f80.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
That's unfortunate. I wonder what maker the original one was.

My ELC G-1 is a Foster homage so I've been told and as such has the broad shoulders and narrow waist. But nothing like your model.

I'm 6'1" and 220lbs...not as svelte as I used to be. But while my ELC does taper in nicely, it still does not feel tight.

I wonder if the original were that snug. Certainly later and earlier models weren't.

Here's the ELC:

df82b151cfa4839390a87edd40947f80.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really nice looking jacket you have there...that's the look I wanted! I think I'll probably have to go for a custom order Aero M422a in the future, but I'll leave that for another time.

According to Avi, their jacket is a direct copy of an original L.W. Foster jacket (contract N-383S-20445).

Deacon211

One Too Many
That is interesting. I've seen a pic or two on Moore's G-1 site that shows some fairly narrow waists on some of the jackets.

From Moore's site:

ec6442d6e1d11634961cee938fd4350d.jpg

Still, not everybody in naval aviation was cut like a beanpole which just makes me think. I wonder if there was some scaling going on. Maybe larger jackets were cut looser for big boys, that sort of thing. I've had an upsized G-1 made for me from a smaller example and for some reason the arms wound up in an odd place on me. Well, I hope they perhaps consider an additional pattern choice in their larger sizes or perhaps loosen the waist just slightly.

If you are looking for something in the middle of the market, you might also consider Steve Sellers, who made me this m-422a:

b1f33d4394baac9b07d6653abb950391.jpg

Or the Cockpit 100 Mission G-1, top pic original and bottom as modified by the Cockpit with a darker collar.

b00967abfc76aa9d86cfb03c18bf1315.jpg

29aa1a0a6c6c5c6af119888acb392856.jpg

Both of these are in the $500-$900 range and are very good jackets. I've heard Aero is great as well. Just some choices for you.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to give people as many choices as possible. The AVI looks to be a great jacket, though I unfortunately suspect that the pattern wouldn't fit me.

Last edited:

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
That is interesting. I've seen a pic or two on Moore's G-1 site that shows some fairly narrow waists on some of the jackets.

From Moore's site:

ec6442d6e1d11634961cee938fd4350d.jpg

Still, not everybody in naval aviation was cut like a beanpole which just makes me think. I wonder if there was some scaling going on. Maybe larger jackets were cut looser for big boys, that sort of thing. I've had an upsized G-1 made for me from a smaller example and for some reason the arms wound up in an odd place on me. Well, I hope they perhaps consider an additional pattern choice in their larger sizes or perhaps loosen the waist just slightly.

If you are in the market for something in the middle of the market, you might also consider Steve Sellers, who made me this m-422a:

b1f33d4394baac9b07d6653abb950391.jpg

Or the Cockpit 100 Mission G-1, top pic original and bottom as modified by the Cockpit with a darker collar.

b00967abfc76aa9d86cfb03c18bf1315.jpg

29aa1a0a6c6c5c6af119888acb392856.jpg

Both of these are in the $500-$900 range and are very good jackets. I've heard Aero is great as well. Just some choices for you.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to give people as many choices as possible. The AVI looks to be a great jacket, though I unfortunately suspect that the pattern wouldn't fit me.

All very good points. I do wonder if Avi only acquired an original in a very small size - eg a 38 - and has incorrectly scaled the pattern to fit larger sizes...who knows.

Cockpit ones look like decent jackets, but once I've taken into account the shipping to the UK and the taxes/import fees it's not that far off a custom Aero! Orvis used to stock some of their stuff in the UK but hasn't in some time...even then it was very pricey.

seres

A-List Customer
....My ELC G-1 is a Foster homage so I've been told and as such has the broad shoulders and narrow waist. But nothing like your model.

I wonder if the original were that snug. Certainly later and earlier models weren't...

I have an ELC G-1 (tag size 46), and a vintage L.W. Foster MIL-J-7823 spec G-1 (tag size 44) from about 1956. They are both very similar in construction, and even with their different tag sizes, their Sleeve, Back, and Pit-to-Pit (24.25) measurements are the same.

However, the Foster has a slightly smaller shoulder measurement (20.00 vs. 20.75 for the ELC), and a slightly larger waist measurement (22.5 for the Foster vs. 21.75 for the ELC).

Just for reference, I stand 73 inches and weight 200, and both jackets are comfortable.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
That's disappointing Meecham Lake as I was hoping to order one too.

Looks like we have very similar tastes in jackets as I'm about to embark on an M422a order with Aero but I'm hoping to trade me Aero Teamster against it as part exchange.

I might contact AVILTHR anyway and see if there is a larger girth size they do. Can I be rude and ask what you measure at the belly/waist?

Regards

Garry

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
That's disappointing Meecham Lake as I was hoping to order one too.

Looks like we have very similar tastes in jackets as I'm about to embark on an M422a order with Aero but I'm hoping to trade me Aero Teamster against it as part exchange.

I might contact AVILTHR anyway and see if there is a larger girth size they do. Can I be rude and ask what you measure at the belly/waist?

Regards

Garry

Indeed Garry - I'm keen to see what your M422a looks like if you go for one! Worth pointing out that there is a stock M422a on Aero's site that may actually be a good fit if we're similar sizes - although it's tagged a size 48, it measures more like a 46. Very handsome looking thing...could be worth a look for yourself?

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=3452

Sure, my waist is around 40.25 inches, give or take a few meals! The Avi measures just 38 around the waist at the bottom of the leather (above the knits!), so it's just never going to work.

nkang

One of the Regulars
@Brettafett Wow I missed this thread and the jacket is impressive! Would you say the size 40 for this G1 is tighter than the size 40 of the A2 I got from you?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi there, yes... The G-1s shoulders are a bit wider, the chest slightly narrower... but the waist is definitely narrower.

nkang

One of the Regulars
Hi there, yes... The G-1s shoulders are a bit wider, the chest slightly narrower... but the waist is definitely narrower.
Thanks for the info! Btw I'm wearing the A2 right now. Fits me perfectly and could add a layer underneath as well.

Regarding this G1, then I'd go for a size-up to 42 given the comparison. That's if I have the budget...

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Morten from Avi has sent me an email saying their Bronco A2 repro will be up on the site in the next few weeks...they're shooting photos very soon. Exciting stuff (and not as slim as the G1 apparently, so maybe I have chance of fitting into it!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21