Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Experience Ordering Direct from Thedi Leathers

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
I'd like to preface that I thought the Thedi Leathers designs, and the fit of their designs were interesting, and I still do, but unfortunately I do not think I will ever consider buying a jacket from them again. I also think that my experience might be that one bad one out of a hundred good ones, but I cannot be sure, and I can only share my own.

In November, I contacted Thedi about purchasing a leather jacket to spec. At first, communication was fast, and Theodoros (the owner of Thedi Leathers) was very expedient and concise in response. I asked him about his leathers, what measurements he needed, etc., and placed a 50% deposit on an order. He quoted me 30 to 45 days.

Christmas came and past, then New Years. Come early January, I asked for an update... a few days later Theodoros replied saying he knew there was a delay, and it was due to a problem with the leather he had received. I appreciated the answer, although I would've appreciated a little bit of pro-activity if indeed he was aware there would be a delay. In any case, I said I understood, and then asked when I might expect the jacket. He "promised" by the end of month it would be sent out.

January flies, then comes February, I ask for an update.... he says its in production. Mid February comes, and still I hear no word. I send him 5 emails between Feb. 15 and 24, asking what the progress is. Keep in mind these are not snarky emails... just me asking for an honest update, and that I'd appreciate if he'd let me know what was happening.

After almost two weeks of trying to get a hold of Theodoros, he finally replies saying that the jacket had a mishap while he was sewing the button holes, and that he had to wait for more leather which ought to be delivered in late March. He says that he can refund me my deposit, and once he receives the new batch of leather, he would contact me to see if I were still interested. Of course, I am disappointed, but I understand, and say yes please refund me.

4 days pass, and I don't hear a single word from him. I send a couple of emails during that time span reiterating my request for a refund. I do a little subterfuge, and send him an email using a friend's account inquiring about a jacket.... That friend gets a reply within hours.

Finally, I am just frustrated, and want my money back, so I open a paypal dispute. Coincidentally, the same day I open the dispute, I get a response from Theodoros. He says paypal has already taken the money out of his account (because of the dispute I opened that day... he could've refunded my money with an easy few clicks prior). I call paypal, and they tell me its just on hold, and that all the seller need do is call them to release the refund back to me.

I recount this to Theodoros, and to his credit I think he is actually confused (I don't think he means ill, or has any sinister motive). I tell him all he needs to do is call Paypal (I'm not going to close the claim, because after 10 days I get my money back anyhow if the seller does not respond, but I would have preferred to get it back sooner). In any case, its now been a week, and I've not received a refund. I know making a phone call in todays day and age is a little of pain, but I would've hoped Theodoros would've taken at least that effort considering the circumstance.

Anyway, to sum up, I'm quite unhappy with the lack of communication when ordering from Thedi Leathers directly. At first he is very attentive, but it seems like once he had my deposit, he essentially disappeared, and I would have to basically nag him just to get a reply. I don't mind waiting for a jacket, as long as the wait time is up-front. I understand delays, but I don't appreciated having to chase down explanations, and having multiple missed timelines, and promises.

I did end up with a Vicenza Board Racer from Aero, and it is beautiful, so I'm happy now, but I just wanted to put up a word of caution here in case anyone were considering a Thedi... it was not a pleasant experience. Theodoros seems like a nice guy, but I'd rather put my money elsewhere personally. If one were dead set in ordering from Thedi Leathers, I would probably suggest going through Thurston, as I didn't feel very important, or valued as an individual customer, and perhaps they would be able to get clearer answers from him, being a larger purchaser.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
I don't think this is an isolated incident. I'm in the midst of something similar with one of his wallets. I'll update in a few more days...

pawineguy

One Too Many
Sorry to hear this, I have a Thedi through Thurston and I really like the jacket and some of his other designs. I thought he had a chance to make a splash in North America, but he won't like this.

On a happier note, I'd love to hear and see more of your Vincenza Board Racer.

LouisBailie

Banned
If you waited a week (or the 10 days PayPal makes you wait) , after requesting a refund you would have probably not have had to make this post.

This kind of stuff happens when dealing with small companies. They do not have extra inventories of materials to cover mistakes and you have to be patient when dealing with them.

FYI you will probably lose the paypal dispute anyway the transaction is past the time limit to file a dispute, I believe it is 30-45 days.

pawineguy

One Too Many
If you waited a week (or the 10 days PayPal makes you wait) , after requesting a refund you would have probably not have had to make this post.

This kind of stuff happens when dealing with small companies. They do not have extra inventories of materials to cover mistakes and you have to be patient when dealing with them.

FYI you will probably lose the paypal dispute anyway the transaction is past the time limit to file a dispute, I believe it is 30-45 days.

Incorrect, the time limit is 180 days. I'm not sure what you expect him to do when a vendor promises a refund and does not grant one. As he noted it only takes a few clicks. Mistakes are made but when it's multiple mistakes the offer of the refund was the correct gesture, it's a shame that he didn't follow through.

Jägernaut

Practically Family

i appreciate the op. Nothing you said explains the lack of communication.

ericsanpablo31

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry to have post a negative review, but I feel if I had this info I myself may have been more cautious, or pursued other avenues like Thurston to purchase and mitigate.

I will try posting some pics and a review of hte Aero Board Racer when I get a chance! Maybe the lack of delivery of the Thedi was some strange and twisted act of fate, because I am over the moon with the Aero pattern, and the Vincenza leather is killer :)

jon11

A-List Customer
Having bought two jackets from Theodoros I have found the opposite, he delivered on time and the quality and attention to detail was fantastic. He was always very responsive to my emails. This is my positive experience. I certainly would have no hesitation buying direct from Thedi again.

Last edited:

LouisBailie

Banned
I just finished a very similar experience with a well known vendor in the FL.
I ordered a jacket and I paid in full in early Dec for delivery in mid to late jan.
Vendor got leather delivered but was not the color I wanted in Jan.
Vendor expected more leather in mid Feb. waited until mid fed, leather never arrived.
Feb 27 I called and said just forget and refund my money. Vendor said OK will do.
I checked Monday Mar 9 with vendor about refund, he says call Mar 10 and give all info again.
This morning I call and get my refund immediately and coupon for 40% discount on any future purchase....the jacket ordered was $1700.00...............

OP probably would have been given the same or similar by this vendor, if he had not gotten all excited about wanting a refund RIGHT NOW...

Patience always pays.....now complain about this one kids..

pawineguy

One Too Many
I just finished a very similar experience with a well known vendor in the FL.
I ordered a jacket and I paid in full in early Dec for delivery in mid to late jan.
Vendor got leather delivered but was not the color I wanted in Jan.
Vendor expected more leather in mid Feb. waited until mid fed, leather never arrived.
Feb 27 I called and said just forget and refund my money. Vendor said OK will do.
I checked Monday Mar 9 with vendor about refund, he says call Mar 10 and give all info again.
This morning I call and get my refund immediately and coupon for 40% discount on any future purchase....the jacket ordered was $1700.00...............

OP probably would have been given the same or similar by this vendor, if he had not gotten all excited about wanting a refund RIGHT NOW...

Patience always pays.....now complain about this one kids..

Nothing to complain about... just don't lose your coupon! And wait, so you do pay full price? But not all the time? I'm lost. [huh]

Jägernaut

Practically Family
With the usual half off plus the 40% coupon, youre only paying 10%. Youre amazing!… ly full of crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR