Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

GrayEyes

Familiar Face
Does it look blue?

Below are four more photos of my BA in blue (marine). All the same beret, all blue. As you can see, it's hard to definitively discern this color as blue -- at least in these photographs. And indoors, under the infernal fluorescent light, blue looks black.

Sitting on a blue canvas briefcase, in indirect natural light, with flash
Brief-flash.jpg

Sitting on a blue canvas briefcase, in indirect natural light, without flash
Brief-regular.jpg

Sitting on a desk, under fluorescent light, with flash
Desk-flash.jpg

Sitting on a desk, under fluorescent light, without flash
Desk-regular.jpg

Last edited:

Babbo Philipe

A-List Customer
regarding Savon de marseilles soap on berets, now the i know its soap i like the smell, but , i still soak my berets in water to bring them in softer--retained soap may be a water repellant but it is also a stiffener, my thoughts

I love soft

Daan

Vendor
Basic beret maintenance:

I use a hat brush I bought at Goorin Bros. Hats.

http://store.goorin.com/mens-hats/shapes/hat-accessories/hat-brush

It's a long narrow brush with a long handle.
I brush off the daily accumulation of dust and dander.
It's a pretty handy tool.

Nice brush, but like Philipe, I prefer the sticky roller.
IMG_0989.JPG.opt169x258o0%2C0s169x258.JPG

The cheapest way to clean a beret from dirt, dust, hairs, etc is by simply applying sticky tape over the surface of the beret (see picture below). Much easier, is the NZ made "Raven Roller", a roller with 50 adhesive sheets that easily peel off to expose the next. Simple and excellent and cheap too!
cleaning.jpg.opt186x169o0%2C0s186x169.jpg

Happy to offer one for free with any order for the remainder of this month (just send me a note when you place your order).

Daan

Vendor
Still having problems loading photos as some load sideways like my last one! Any suggestions?

I always found posting and formatting photo's on TFL a real pain, but what I do now is copy the picture, paste it in a Word.doc (adjust the size and/or angle there) and copy again to paste it on the TFL page. Sounds complicated, but found this to be the easiest way.
Good luck!

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
I always found posting and formatting photo's on TFL a real pain, but what I do now is copy the picture, paste it in a Word.doc (adjust the size and/or angle there) and copy again to paste it on the TFL page. Sounds complicated, but found this to be the easiest way.
Good luck!
AH, finally a workable shortcut! This motivates me to post pictures... the whole fandango of first posting to some photo website is really demotivating.

Leftyguy, I think you have the right approach: start 'em young! :D

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
For the lovers of small berets, this is my smallest one with a 22cm diameter.
I got it cheap off ebay and it was in a pitiful state. The txortena wah hanging by one wool fibre
and since I deem a beret basque unwearable with out a txortena, I had to sew it on. The lining
was coming off, too and this was easliy rectified by a couple of stitches.
Its my in-the-house-and-reading beret and it definitely shouldnt by any smaller. ;)
P3255705_jiw.jpg
P3255706_jiw.jpg
P3255701_jiw_jiw.jpg

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I'm like a lot of guys here. I'm former military so berets were only for the elite dudes. For me in the AF, that's the Combat Controllers, PJs and TACP guys.

One time, about a million years ago when I was young and dumb, I volunteered for TACP. I was doing great in school (96 average and good PT scores) before I was hurt and removed from training. How close to graduation was I, you ask? Well, close enough I had already bought my black beret and crest. (One week prior!)

Right now, my 6 year old daughter wears it.

GrayEyes

Familiar Face

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner