Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best warm leather jackets?

This Aero Thunderbay from the Thurston facebook page looks amazing. If I was ordering one I'd want the shearling to go to the bottom of the jacket, without the corduroy strip, it seems like a waste of real estate to my eyes.

A hundred times this. Seriously, if I was moving to somewhere cold, I'd go for one of these. Heavy cow/horse hide with shearling lining. I know they're warm but I've no much trust in sheepskin alone after I got impaled thru an iron fence once. The spikes went thru the jacket like it was made of paper.
But anyway, this is just the perfect kinda deal for cold weather. I used make my own out of this shearling lining I have, back when I had a leather jacket that was big enough for the thing to fit underneath, and it was the warmest thing ever. The jacket was 5 sizes too big, I looked like a complete idiot but didn't care. Now I care while still looking like an idiot and freezing.

You're going to have to talk to Aero, LW or JL for that to happen, though. Don't think any of the fancy overseas import Asian makers do this sorta thing. . .

AllanP

Familiar Face
If it's really cold go for something like a Canada Goose imo, it's just lighter

sheepskin is warm for sure, but it is much heavier than down jackets, so if you walk a lot it takes time to get used to.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I often wear an Aero D-1 in winter, when it get's really cold I pull out the Eddy Bauer B-9 goose down parka. I have an Aero B-3, but honestly, the parka beats it hands down in any weather that's cold enough to warrant it, so the B-3 doesn't get much action.

B

GregGale

One of the Regulars
Yes, although it doesn't make much sense to fly gliders in the winter, our club organizes new year's flights just for fun. Spending a full day outside on Dec 31st definitely requires an Irvin :)

Edward

Bartender
If it's really cold go for something like a Canada Goose imo, it's just lighter

sheepskin is warm for sure, but it is much heavier than down jackets, so if you walk a lot it takes time to get used to.

On the contrary, the lightest coat I have ever owned is my Eastman Irvin.

Per the op, if you want a short jacket, go Irvin, B3, ANJ4, or Aero Thunderbay. The last one will be the warmest (and heaviest) being leather over shearling lining, not just sgearling. For something longer to keep yer rump warm too, Aero Hudson or shawl collar Barnstormer.

Peacoat

Bartender
This Aero Thunderbay from the Thurston facebook page looks amazing. If I was ordering one I'd want the shearling to go to the bottom of the jacket, without the corduroy strip, it seems like a waste of real estate to my eyes.
The corduroy at the bottom is there for wear around the waist. The shearling on this shorter jacket would take a beating in the absence of the corduroy. It also keeps the shearling from sagging below the bottom of the jacket. Ken knew what he was doing (as always) when he built this jacket.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
The corduroy at the bottom is there for wear around the waist. The shearling on this shorter jacket would take a beating in the absence of the corduroy. It also keeps the shearling from sagging below the bottom of the jacket. Ken knew what he was doing (as always) when he built this jacket.
I prefer the shearling a bit longer at the front on mine. I have a long torso even though I'm only 5'11 so in a jacket like an ANJ-4 the bottom of the jacket just overlaps my belt, so the leather or corduroy comes up to my belly button. I prefer an M445, which is a bit longer and has shearling all the way down. Now if they had come up with the silk lined armpit gussets on the M445 they would have had the perfect sheepskin jacket.

kasa7

Familiar Face
I'm moving to a very cold place and am looking to invest in something big and furry. What are the best warm leather jackets that fit the motorcycle/biker, military or vintage look? Brands and styles please.
ANJ-4, it's a good option
6f1a3ae2e4c75efaf2d6fbeda5b3556b.jpg

Benproof

A-List Customer
Not sure .... but fwiw, it's not the lack of warmth of a jacket that gets me on the motorcycle. Any motorcycle jacket needs layers to trap heat - that works better, particularly with a Thinsulate heat foil layer inside, and a windshield outside. In effect, throwing these layers on any proper 3mm racehide leather jacket will work over a tight weave woolly jumper, shirt and vest (6 layers), and be far warmer than the funkiest looking A1 outmoded sheephugging jacket :)

The problem I find is with the freezing fingers and gloves. My fingers always feel numb first, particularly in 2 degree temperatures. At 70mph, it feels like -5 degrees and within 1 hour, the frost bite is searingly acrid. If you have heated handlebars, you're probably alright then.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@dan_t has an Irvin listed in the Classified here on the Lounge at a great price. If it were to fit the op, it is listed at a great price.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Have concluded the best jackets to wear in warm (hot) weather are aspirin and sleep. Anything to help time pass. I'm losing my patience. Nature teased me a few weeks ago with hints at autumn, I don't like her.

Edward

Bartender
So, bringing this tread back up, how about this little gem for Cold Weather use? (Made in USA as well)...

https://www.cockpitusa.com/men/leather-jackets/type-m-69d-air-transport-coat

Has anyone ever seen an original of these from WWII?

I would love one of those. I have a vague recollection that the only one I've seen in person belonged to Darryl Higham, when he was playing with his then-wife Imelda May's band. Early daysof Imelda's solo career, so around 2006/7. Lovely coat. As I recall, he bought it because Eddie Cochran had also owned one (and is picutred wearing it on the cover of the Cochran biography that Higham co-wrote).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy