Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Body Shape Questions

certainlyred

New in Town
My roomie has a reprint of a 1940's manual called "How to Get Along With Boys" that has an addendum in the back to tell you what silhouettes each body type should wear. I'll see if she can dig it up for me and I'll post the advice!

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
December said:
I'm exactly the same.

My figure hovers around 42 (36F)-30-42, so you can imagine how difficult it is to find clothes that fit my hips AND my waist AND my bust.

Ooooo December, Im the exact same measurements! Strong and sturdy, some would say! lol But it really can be a nightmare to dress, can't it.

I try and stick with trying to cinch in my waist to make the most of the hourglass, but the hardest part is definitely getting things to fit the bust and the waist. A lot of the time I end up buying blouses the size bigger to fit the boobies, then running in extra darts to fit the waist area.

For the gals that feel they are a bit of a pear, high waisted, wide leg pants look brilliant!! They show off your smallest part and even out the hip area with the flared leg.

Scarlet Belle

Familiar Face
certainlyred said:
My roomie has a reprint of a 1940's manual called "How to Get Along With Boys" that has an addendum in the back to tell you what silhouettes each body type should wear. I'll see if she can dig it up for me and I'll post the advice!

That would be AMAZING!!! Hope you can dig it up!! :eusa_clap

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've no idea what body shape I am. I just know that everything is a compromise in fit.:rolleyes: We don't have a petite's section or petite lines/brands here in Denmark as far as I know. There's one shop in Horsens that sells classic modern clothes for mature women that sometimes have pants I can fit but not afford.lol I'm 4'10"ft. My inside leg measurent is a bit longer than a slightly taller woman I know. My arms aren't as long as my MIL who's the same height as me. I wear an EU 36. In some brands that are vanity sized I'm a 34. I used to be 33-25½-34. I'm not sure what I am now. I've gained a bit of weight but still fit the same size clothes. I want to get back to the measurements I was most comfortable with^ The fit issues are the same though. Short arms, relatively short legs but proportionally long, relatively wide shoulders, short defined waist and not built the way petites are assumed to be built; I'm not boyish or early pubescent in shape!

I want to wear clothes that doesn't fit like a bag but which flatters my curves that may be small relative to other women but they're proportionate to my built and height.

I have a pair of pants that fit like early 60s pants with a slim straight bottom and higher waist than some pants have today. Mine are solid black with buttons at the sides of my calves. Similar to these in cut and fit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kahluacream/4478329221/ They're nearly worn down. I wish I'd bought more at the same time. I found them really cheap on sale. They're the best fitting pants I've ever had. I didn't think this shape could be flattering on anyone. I thought I'd have to wear loose tunics over them. I have a similar soft green pair but nothing other than a white knit twin set to wear with the green pants.

So even when I find things that fit, my mixing options are limited.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
lolly_loisides said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I've had a few friends on facebook post old school photos & the thing that surprises me is that all my childhood & teenage years I used to think of myself as "the fat one". Now I look at those photos I realise I was just an average healthy girl. I can't believe I wasted all those years hating my body. Thank goodness I'm well & truly over that.

Likewise. Thin thighs are wasted on the young!

I'm shaped a bit like a double bass, and I find structured tailoring and a defined waist are the important things for my figure. Anything loose or floppy and I look enormous and shapeless.

Shopgirl, you are very beautiful!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Big breasts are not fun and anyone who wants bigger is, frankly, nuts lol

I have permanent indentations on my shoulders from having to wear a bra 24/7 (except in the shower, of course!), I can't go braless because they begin to hurt, blouses NEVER fit correctly, and those things are always in my way when I'm trying to exercise.

I'd kill for a B.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:

I have permanent indentations on my shoulders from having to wear a bra 24/7 (except in the shower, of course!), I can't go braless because they begin to hurt, blouses NEVER fit correctly, and those things are always in my way when I'm trying to exercise.

I'd kill for a B.

When I lost weight one of the main benefits was that my breasts became smaller, tops fitted better but most importantly; NO MORE MIGRAINES!

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Thank you all, for the nicest comments :)

I'm not without any body issues, I am a 36DD and have a short waist/torso, this makes wearing things even more challenging, let alone, my being able to get myself dressed. I manage ok, however, a few weeks ago when I was in NYC and getting myself dressed for an event I attended at Radio City Music Hall, I had problems getting into my spanx, I was on the 10th floor of a 75 floor hotel,,,, I kept wondering if anyone could hear me:eek: lol
I was also wearing a strapless dress / bra and after donning a small shawl, took the elevator down and went in search of someone to help zip me up! alas!, I found a very nice gal in the gift shop who was glad to help.

My favorite bra's are my vinti Figurettes (although getting into them requires help from my 12 yo dd). I feel they put my 'girls' in proper perspective and will make my vinti tops or dresses look better.

As for slacks/pants?, golly!, I LOVE capri's, pedel pushers, ciggarette pants and other high rise pants... but side zippers? :eek: very hard!

Lastly, there is one thing I am not able to do on my own, and that is vintage hairstlyes, I can't do rollers, pin curls etc... unless, I were to pay a salon.
But I do LOVE seeing all of your pictures with your pretty do's :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
shopgirl61 said:
and as for what has me "stumped"? Well, I am also a below the knee amputee and wearer of prosthetic legs, 46 yrs now! We can all be amazing!, we ALL have the ability to put our best face forward and make the best of what we have! , the choice is ours! btw, my prosthetic legs are shaped like gorgeous gads and I am happiest, when wearing high heels lol (they are so realistic looking, that people cannot tell ;) )

Shopgirl, I cannot see your photo for some reason, but thank you for sharing with us and for showing us your positivity with regard to your body image.

Maybe you've seen this article, but if you haven't, I bet you would really enjoy it. It's about Aimee Mullins, a model, athlete and activist with some pretty unusual prosthetic legs - http://io9.com/5535730/portraits-in-posthumanity-aimee-mullins

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Shopgirl, I cannot see your photo for some reason, but thank you for sharing with us and for showing us your positivity with regard to your body image.

Maybe you've seen this article, but if you haven't, I bet you would really enjoy it. It's about Aimee Mullins, a model, athlete and activist with some pretty unusual prosthetic legs - http://io9.com/5535730/portraits-in-posthumanity-aimee-mullins

Hi Kitty,

I just saw my photo, still there.

I know about Aimee Mullins,,,, I personally do not consider her to be more than a model ;) imoho

BoPeep

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
I recently made a duct tape dress form and seeing my body shape outside of my own body helped my perspective a lot. I dont look that bad :)

Seeing your shape from a perspective other than looking straight down is very helpful. When I first sized in my dress form to my measurements, I was pleasantly surprised as well!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
shopgirl61 said:
I know about Aimee Mullins,,,, I personally do not consider her to be more than a model ;) imoho

Really? She was the first "disabled" woman to compete in the NCAA and set World Records in the 100 meter, the 200 meter, and the long jump - with her prosthetic legs. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but to me that qualifies someone as a pretty serious athlete :)

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
This is true. However, most girls I know with big breasts don't wish theirs were smaller!

There are times I wish I could take mine off for a good jog, or so I could wear a clingy top without feeling self conscious, but then I have to remind myself, I am who I am, should never beat myself up over it, but embrace my shape and emphasize the positives. I'm a 36 to 38D, with an hourglass shape and a long torso. I think my long torso throws off the look of some of the dresses I own, but I tend to figure out quickly how to even things out with the proper undergarments and accessories.

Shopgirl61 - Indeed, beauty radiates from within, and you are lovely! :)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
This is true. However, most girls I know with big breasts don't wish theirs were smaller!
I have wanted reduction surgery since I was 13. I went from no breasts to a 36DD overnight. I'm currently a 38M (38JJ in UK brands).

Geesie

Practically Family
I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask...
I've been trying to get my wife into vintage, but I don't really know where to start. Each era has its unique look and I'm not sure what will be the easiest for her body type. She's 5'2", 34-24-38. Obviously, the flapper era look won't work because there is no disguising those hips - as if we'd want to anyway! On the other hand, looks that go with full hips and narrow waist seem to assume there's a lot up top, too.
[huh]

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:
On the other hand, looks that go with full hips and narrow waist seem to assume there's a lot up top, too.
[huh]

Ain't it the truth Geesie? I'd say that's my chief objection to being shaped this way... But like the other girls have said, the 40's were an era of broad shoulder type looks... this is what I'm going to look into. I'm hoping it will balance out my pear-shaped frame. They might flatter her too!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:

I'd kill for a B.

Hahaha! I went from big breasts to ginormous ones when I had my daughter and started breastfeeding (a full C cup to a G). I'm hoping once I'm done they will go back to their "normal" size. My sister told me that hers didn't go down after she was done breastfeeding. She actually had a reduction surgery. :rolleyes:

As for my body shape.... oh, boy. It is not what it was before baby. But I'm trying to exercise as much as possible, and eating a reasonable diet so that the "baby fat" I retained will go away. My hips, though... I think they're staying bigger. I'll get used to it. All the better to carry a baby, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy