Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buffalo bill's hat

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I have never seen any proof that that image is a real ad.

What proof would you need, and how would you get it? All we have are images of old advertisements and every once in a while one of us will get our hands on an original. I highly doubt there are people out there who sit online on make up counterfeit old hat ads. Unfortunately, the people who made these original BOP hats are long since gone so these old ads are pretty much all we have to go on until something better pops up.

fedoracentric

Banned
I have the suspicion that the ad pictured was created as a graphic for a website and is not an actual ad. It is too clean looking to be an image of an actual ad. Therefore, I cannot assume it is real.

... I highly doubt there are people out there who sit online on make up counterfeit old hat ads...

Lol.

Here, with a little more patina:

blog-usa-stetson.gif

viclip

Practically Family
It was the same in Europe (60cm or 6 1/2 Point the largest size). It might have been possible to special order larger sizes. Many here believe there was a head size change (I could maybe see a 1/2 size). Also men tended to wear soft and stiff felt hats differently (higher on the head**).

**Berlin early 1900s.

15572748727_43fe7b5e5d_c.jpg

Good to know.
As to the wearing of the hats higher up the forehead in old photos, I wonder whether that might be mainly the case in staged photos i.e. so as not to hide the face ~ "say cheese & raise your lids!". Film stars certainly wore their hats high so the audience could see their faces. Out of curiosity I'll have to pay attention to some old face shots that weren't staged, not that I come across many.

Good to know.
As to the wearing of the hats higher up the forehead in old photos, I wonder whether that might be mainly the case in staged photos i.e. so as not to hide the face ~ "say cheese & raise your lids!". Film stars certainly wore their hats high so the audience could see their faces. Out of curiosity I'll have to pay attention to some old face shots that weren't staged, not that I come across many.

Yes some are worn back for the photo so this isn't the best case but you can see some are still worn high. It's very common for this time period.

Here is a photo that was recently posted the Non Shorpy Web All Stars thread (there are plenty more examples on there). If I wore my hats like these two gentleman (worn 3 or 4 fingers above the ear) I could wear 7 instead of a 7 1/4 (two size difference).

15141481244_4f22e46e3e_c.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran