Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardigans, cardigans, cardigans!

Rosie

One Too Many
Cute cardies LD, I'm looking for one like the first one, kind of creamy, with cute buttons, maybe some nice applique

Etienne, I like J.Jill, very often though, her clothes are quite expensive but, it's great quality.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
HI I'm new here! :)

I'm also looking for authentic 1930's-1940's sweaters and cardigans. So hard to find. The only place I can find some far is ebay.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Have you ladies tried making your own cardigans? I have some navy blue sweater knit in my fabric stash just waiting to be turned into a cardigan. I plan to use a vintage jacket pattern as a base for it, and I think it will be somewhat easy. Puffy sleaves, vintage red buttons, and a cute little collar - very 40s.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have a cardie cut out in my fabric pile as well, but Im not too good with knit fabrics. So its just sittin there, waiting to be finished.

Maybe one day . . . .

LD

post script: I also just ordered some cardies from Pennies, so, like Magneto, Ill post my reviews.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cardie review #2

Hello to all the cardie loves out there.

I bought two cardies from Pennys. Here is the brake down.
I like em.

Pennys is having a pre fall sale on fall stuff (dont ask) and I bought two from their Liz Baker line. They are Acrylic/ Cotton blends with thin banding around the collar, sleves and bottom. They are a fairly generic looking cardie, which I like because its a design that wont take away from the vintage feel we all strive for.

The sizes are a bout 1/2 size too big. Get a size under and youll have it too small, see the delema. Its not that big a deal, you can button the top button and kill the need for a sweater guard. If you add some lovely applique to your cardie, no sweater guard can be a good thing.

So all in all Pennys has good generic cardies to beef up the vintage wardrobe. Good buy.
This is Lady Day, signing off.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Rebecca D said:
Have you ladies tried making your own cardigans? I have some navy blue sweater knit in my fabric stash just waiting to be turned into a cardigan. I plan to use a vintage jacket pattern as a base for it, and I think it will be somewhat easy. Puffy sleaves, vintage red buttons, and a cute little collar - very 40s.

I too have some navy blue knit material just sitting around. How does one go about making their own cardigan? What about the cuffs, around the neck and waist line? I'm already working on so many projects, but I'm willing to try something else if someone gives me some idea on how to do this.

Hey look, I'm practically family! I post way too much.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
LD, what is it about working with knit that is hard? I'm a little worried about cutting it out, but other than that, I haven't thought about anything else that might be a challenge. I assumed that because the fabric is thick, my seams won't have to be perfect. Am I wrong?

Rosie, you'll need lots of ribbing. The sweater knit I have includes extra, so I can use that for the waist, arms and collar. If you don't have enough ribbing, you might be able to use something else for the collar, or go to a thrift store and find a matching or contrasting colored sweater and use its ribbing on yours.

Right now, I'm on a short break from sewing. My tiny apartment is covered in books and newspapers from research on articles I've been writing, and I'm preparing a big speech for a public forum on the east coast; plus, I'm still doing a lot of prison work - on top of working full time. My kitchen is covered in fabric and I have patterns piled up at the foot of my bed. What a mess! I'm going to clean up this mess and then begin concentrating on only 1 or 2 things at a time!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Hey LD,

I saw those two vintage cardigans at the Costume Shop! They are gorgeous--I have quite a collection of vintage beaded cardigans--I think I'm up to about seven at this point. My dream is to find a red one. Or navy one.

If anyone is ever down in Santa Cruz, California there is a great vintage clothing store that is packed with vintage beaded cardigans between $20-50 each and in great shape. MoonBeam I believe is the name.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rebecca D said:
LD, what is it about working with knit that is hard? I'm a little worried about cutting it out, but other than that, I haven't thought about anything else that might be a challenge. I assumed that because the fabric is thick, my seams won't have to be perfect. Am I wrong?

Rosie, you'll need lots of ribbing. The sweater knit I have includes extra, so I can use that for the waist, arms and collar. If you don't have enough ribbing, you might be able to use something else for the collar, or go to a thrift store and find a matching or contrasting colored sweater and use its ribbing on yours.

Right now, I'm on a short break from sewing. My tiny apartment is covered in books and newspapers from research on articles I've been writing, and I'm preparing a big speech for a public forum on the east coast; plus, I'm still doing a lot of prison work - on top of working full time. My kitchen is covered in fabric and I have patterns piled up at the foot of my bed. What a mess! I'm going to clean up this mess and then begin concentrating on only 1 or 2 things at a time!

Well RD, for me it is the seams that Im worried about. I HATE raw seams, and my surger isnt working, so I tend to either fold over my seams or use bias tape, both of which will leave me with thick seams. :rage: so that is one reason why I am 'iffy' on any streach and knit fabrics.

LD

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Hmmm....my sewing machine has a few zigzag stitches that claim to work as overlock stitches. Do you think that would work, or would I be stuck with thick seams?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well the thing with a zig zag stitch is like with surging, it will leave a lot of pull, so you will have to edge it with a straight stitch to keep the garment in shape. It could work, but the zig zag would have to go to the edge of the fabric or you would cut the edge to alleviate extra seam buldge.

Too much for my brain to worry about before the morning java :)

LD

anna_newman

New in Town
Here's another option, if you know how to knit.
Sadly, I don't know how myself, but I do have the instructions for this 1936
cardigan and have saved the pattern for years hoping someday to learn.
Vintage knit/crochet patterns seem less popular than sewing patterns, but
some of them are so wonderful. I'll see if I can dig up an early hat pattern I
recently got at a garage sale.

Message me if you want a copy of the instructions
or if you know soomeone who will make up vintage knitted things for those of us less skilled.

golf_sweater.jpg

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Hi Anna

I am in LOVE with that cardigan. Would you send me the instructions, please please? My mother-in-law knits, and maybe, just maybe...

I have a few patterns, but that is nicer than anything I've seen. I'm pretty desparate for sweater. Anyone know any knitters in LA area?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Talbots 60-70% Off

The last cardigan I bought from Talbots, I must have worn for about eight years. Here is a pic of the one I just ordered:

62122710_7463.jpg

One that would look nice with a vintage skirt or pants:

62122715_4103.jpg

Pretty, but not on sale:

62122760_0389.jpg

magneto

Practically Family
anna_newman said:
Here's another option, if you know how to knit.
Sadly, I don't know how myself, but I do have the instructions for this 1936
cardigan and have saved the pattern for years hoping someday to learn.

Hi Anna,
I would love to have the instructions if it's not any trouble (and I have some web space I could upload them to, for people here to download, if you like).

Rosie

One Too Many
Rebecca D said:

Okay, I see. I do have other remnants of knit fabric I used to make a couple of head wraps, I'll use that. Thanks Rebecca!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24