Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CARHARTT jacket...i dun went country

Fiver64

Practically Family
visual affiction

Poor Johnny! You see "Luftwaffe" jackets lurking in every shape and form! :) Run towards the light, Johnny! Run!!!!

I have the sandstone barncoat with sherpa lining. How they hold those Sherpas down while skinning is beyond me! (Booooooo). :eusa_doh:

The sandstone is brushed and softer. I also have several standard duck Carhartt barn coats. Tough as snot. Blanket linings are nice, but scratchy.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I am on my 3rd Carhartt Detroit Jacket, and I can't imagine life without one. It's such a tough, yet good looking piece that I think I will always feel the need to have one.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the fit seems to change a bit over the years. My original was a darker brown size large that always seemed a bit big in the arms. I went down to a medium for while, but finally had to give that one away because I filled out after college. I now have a Carhartt brown 'sandstone detroit jacket in a large tall. I love it and it gets worn a lot, although my new Aero half-belt will probably give the Carhartt a run for it's money when it arrives.

Ironically, the first time I saw the standard cuffs on an Aero Highwayman, the first thing I thought of was my Carhartt jacket - same cuffs.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
a little bit country, a little bit luftwaffe

surprised at the unanimous love for this jacket...good style is good style

for those of you who like it but don't have one (seems everyone has one or a carhartt like it), it's light, and definitely warmer than an a-2 or g-1

despite a ribbing for seeing luftwaffen in all jackets, this baby is a denim version of the luftwaffe and aero highwaymen, not that it was made to be...just similar roots

sorry about the zip halfboots, but unless i pull up my boot cut levis, no one will know i'm not wearin' regular durangos!

an i ain't pullin' up nothin', pahdnuh!

cptjeff

Practically Family
Papa M said:
Yes, it is slightly unfortunate that Carhartt has a bit of an association with Urban Skate culture and Hip-Hop. They make some great clothing at terrific prices - so I don't blame you for making it "de-griffe".
I should clarify, I don't own a carhart one. I have one from the Kohl's house brand, and it's a decent jacket. A few differences, but more or less the same style.

And brand association has nothing to do with it. I just don't like logos on real prominent places on my clothing. I've spent a hour taking the new era logo off a nice ballcap for my local A ball team before.

I don't mind the tags on jeans (usually), or logos on sneakers. But otherwise, off they go if I can manage it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Glad to see there are supporters of Carhartt on the Lounge. I have a brown chore coat with the blanket lining and one similar to the Santa Fe with the quilt lining. I guess it is my redneck A-2. My wife and I also have the insulated bib overalls and coveralls by Carhartt. They were quite useful on the farm the last few weeks when the highs were in the high teens and low 20s here in sunny Middle Tennessee.

Cptjeff: In my community it would be heresy to remove the Carhartt logo. That would destroy the élan of the jacket, and just isn't done. Not that I think it is a terribly bad idea, but the local farmers would.

Jsquared: Please tell us it ain't so. You really don't have zip up half boots do you? If you showed up at the market down the road from our farm, the élan of your Carttwaffe wouldn't be the only thing destroyed! Even Sheryl Crowe, who has a place nearby, wears Carhartts to the market and regular boots. She has adapted to the rural way of life here and is well liked in the community. You might be able to do the same, if you would get rid of them zip ups.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
my 'honah' needs defendin'

well, at least i'm leaving the label on my carhartt

i think of them thar boots as my 'country' beatleboots...and i do have the good sense to be embarrassed

(always good to hear from you legumejacket...how's about postin' a pic of you in them bibs?)

jeep44

One of the Regulars
A full set of Carhartts was our 'Foul Weather gear' issued by the company I work for-I'm wearing the vest right now,as it's a bit chilly in the house. My poor Detroit jacket has been relegated to a peg in the garage,as it is now my official "doing filthy jobs on machinery" jacket-the lining is torn and tattered,and the cuffs are ragged,and the coat is stained with oil and grease.
A well-worn Carhartt jacket,especially in the standard light brown color, gives you a lot of credibility at Home Depot-people will think you know what you are doing,even if you don'tlol

MKB

New in Town
jeep44 said:
A well-worn Carhartt jacket,especially in the standard light brown color, gives you a lot of credibility at Home Depot-people will think you know what you are doing,even if you don'tlol

It works at other places, too. Standing in line at the local liquor store for my monthly supply of Jack Daniels the other day, and wearing a tan duck jacket (not Carhartt, but same style) and a black baseball cap, an older gentleman behind me started asking questions about the NFL playoffs. When I apologized and said I didn't really follow pro sports, he said, "Oh, I saw the hat and coat and thought all you guys knew that stuff." Another myth busted.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
jeep44 said:
I gotta get one if only for that reason.:) Lenny

pipvh

Practically Family
The one odd thing about Carhartt duck cloth is the speed with which it disintegrates when you finally push it too far. I used to wear the standard heavy carpenter trousers for landscaping/nurseryman work, which requires lots of kneeling on damp ground. They would almost last a season, then a small hole would appear. Once you saw that hole, you knew you'd be buying a new pair within the month. It was a work joke: how long before your Carhartts dissolve.

That's with VERY heavy use, though: under even half-way ordinary conditions they're as tough (and uncomfortable) as sheet steel.

Mr DP

New in Town
I have a Carhartt jacket aged 15 years, it doesn't show a bit of wear. We always used these well-wearing jackets for barn work in the wintertime, nothing comes close as far as durability. In addition I have two other jackets, a Carhartt snookie cap, the lined hooded jackets, etc. Find a Tractor Supply Store in your area and you will most likely find the largest selection of Carhartt and at the best prices! Usually after Christmas TSC has very good sales.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I do want to get another Detroit jacket-I like the straight,non-elastic waist on it. No matter how thin you are,a jacket with an elastic waistband in the so-called 'bomber' style makes you look like you have a potbelly.
Didn't Paul Newman wear a Detroit jacket in one of his fairly recent movies?

Carhartt

Carhartt has some nice stuff granted,but up in Delaware County NY,most of the old timers wear the green "Dickies" shirt and pants,with a raggy old Lee or Pointer brand chore coat,and knee high rubber manure boots topped of with a Dekalb corn cap.It is so poor up in Delaware County,folks really don`t spend there money on Carhartt,they go to Sears & Robuck and buy of brands ar half the cost of Carhartt.There are no Sheryl Crow types up there,you would have to drive 2 hours over to Ulster County to Woodstock to see any money types...

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I love Carhartt gear, bought my first ones 10 years ago (Arctic Coat and vest) the coat is still like new, the vest is about done for after 10 years of almost constant wear at work and an 8 year old chore coat is getting finished. I also have a sandstone sherpa lined vest, insulated active jacket, insulated bib overall, hooded sweatshirt. All good quality workwear IMO, though I do buy all my gear from the US, the European versions seem to be pale imitations.

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
bburtner@moran said:
Carhartt has some nice stuff granted,but up in Delaware County NY,most of the old timers wear the green "Dickies" shirt and pants,with a raggy old Lee or Pointer brand chore coat,and knee high rubber manure boots topped of with a Dekalb corn cap.It is so poor up in Delaware County,folks really don`t spend there money on Carhartt,they go to Sears & Robuck and buy of brands ar half the cost of Carhartt.There are no Sheryl Crow types up there,you would have to drive 2 hours over to Ulster County to Woodstock to see any money types...

Sounds like classic swamp yankee attire. I have a Pointer coat I haven't managed to kill yet. Couple that with a pair of overalls, and I look like the throwback my relatives seem to think I am....

M

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Standard issue with many jobs

Standard issue with many jobs in the outdoor electrical, construction, and telecom fields. You'll always look like you're going to work or coming from work here in SoCal with those.

How's your horse, Johnny? My Lewis Cow is breaking-in great with all this rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner