Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could I supply my own leather for an Aero jacket?

music321

New in Town
The Aero jackets are top notch. I can't seem to like the standard color offerings, for some reason. My ideal jacket would have some irregularity to the color. In the link attached, one of the hides is done in a "whiskey" color. This seems ideal, as is the variation in color. I especially like that it's light-weight kangaroo leather.

Link: http://members.hn.ozemail.com.au/~tauweb/leather.html

Is there a special name for mottled leather, like in the pic below? It doesn't seem too common.

Mens-Buffed-Lamb-Leather-Blazer-Jacket-40l-52l_20706617.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Given the room o' leather that Aero has in its basement, it might be worth emailing them with this description and asking if they can come up with something. Actually, their 'roo hide is pretty close to whisky, so ask them about it.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It's just a distressed finish, it looks nice if you're into that sort of thing. I've developed my eye to the point where I can tell whether this sort of uneven finish is due to natural wear or whether it's due to deliberate manufacture process, and to be honest I just like real wear much, much better. Of course, most people don't have the patience to put that kind of wear on a jacket, or that much time, or have that much luck to find just the right used jacket that has the look they want, so it's understandable that people like the mottled, distressed look. But after you've seen enough real 40-70 year old jackets with real wear on them, when you come across one of these, it's just "meh". At least that's my experience.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I think you would find thier Heavy Steer Cordovan (4+ oz weight) to be of intrest. Has a lot of variaton & character, and gains a lot of character quickly as it's worn to.

I tend to agree that "pre distressed" leathers are not my first choice. Do a little looking around here, you'll see something you will like! Welcome to FL...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes - as others say that mottled look is fake aging or Pre-distressed hide, not all that popular with many here as it goes against the principle of breaking in and wearing a jacket over years. It also looks unnatural Aero has some battered or jerky hides that look less pristine, you should ask them.

What design are you wanting to buy?

music321

New in Town
Those last pics look great. As for the "distressed" look, I'll take your collective word on it. You know more about this sort of thing than I do. Also, I didn't know that they offered 'roo. I'll have to go back and check their site. Thanks.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Those last pics look great. As for the "distressed" look, I'll take your collective word on it. You know more about this sort of thing than I do. Also, I didn't know that they offered 'roo. I'll have to go back and check their site. Thanks.

The pre-distressed look was very 1980's when jackets were made to look old after the Indiana Jones leather jacket craze. It's a bit like 80's marble wash denim. :D

music321

New in Town
I like the "Stuart". I don't see it listed among their offerings, though. Was it renamed? If not, would they be able to do a one-off? Which current design do you think comes closest?

Edward

Bartender
As has been noted above, your best bet is to ask Aero directly. I wouldn't hold my breath on them agreeing to work with an unknown hide - most makers would, I suspect, be wary of putting their name out on something they haven't had a chance to sample and be sure of first. You can but ask. If youl ike the look of the battered hides posted above, that's a safer bet (and less hassle all around).

I like the "Stuart". I don't see it listed among their offerings, though. Was it renamed? If not, would they be able to do a one-off? Which current design do you think comes closest?
Maxwell or Mulligan are very similar with just different pockets I believe

There was some confusion as to the ownership of the Stuart design when Will Lauder left Aero, and they no longer produce that exact model. The Maxwell and Mulligan models are very similar, however; as I recallo, the Stuart itself started out as simply a fairly regular halfbelt type with button front instead of a main zipper. I don't imagine you'll have a problem finding something similar now. Aero's range is impressively broad these days.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree with the other members here who have suggested that you work with Aero to see which of their available leathers might work best for you. A couple years back I supplied the leather for a jacket I had made by Johnson leathers. It was an interesting experience, but one which I will not repeat again for two reasons:
First, it almost doubled the cost of the jacket. Aero, Johnson, and other quality manufacturers get much better prices on leather than an individual placing a small one time order.
Second, and most importantly, I was not happy with some of the creasing and stretch marks that appeared on the leather as the jacket broke in. If this is been a standard order, I would've talked to the jacket maker about it and expressed my displeasure. Since I had provided the leather though, I had nobody to blame but myself.
Aero has so many great choices and options avalable and I am sure you will find one that suits you. Cheers!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't see why you would. You can get custom anything (including a design with an Aero jacket as a starting point) from
Johnson Leathers of San Francisco for half the price and better service. Just my opinion, owning both.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Is there a special name for mottled leather, like in the pic below? It doesn't seem too common.

It was quite common in the 1980's I seem to remember.

The listing that image is originally from calls it 'Buffed Lamb Leather' if its any help.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
The Aero jackets are top notch. I can't seem to like the standard color offerings, for some reason. My ideal jacket would have some irregularity to the color. In the link attached, one of the hides is done in a "whiskey" color. This seems ideal, as is the variation in color. I especially like that it's light-weight kangaroo leather.

Link: http://members.hn.ozemail.com.au/~tauweb/leather.html

Mens-Buffed-Lamb-Leather-Blazer-Jacket-40l-52l_20706617.jpg

You could send for a sample of their 'Mustang' hide which might fit the bill.I don't know if it is horse or steer though.Actually I have just read the description...horsehide.Probably why it's called Mustang.....I must try harder!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-24_16-37-13.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-02-24_16-37-13.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 203

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo