Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

I have a leather question and since the leather is contained in a boot I thought I would ask it here.
P1210630 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Is that bison leather?
P1210622 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

There are a few more photos on the flickr page if you want to click through and see them.
P1210625 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Thanks,
Michael

Michael, could be. It's difficult to tell from pics. I have a pair of buffalo (water) boots that has a similar grain pattern but they are such a dark chocolate color the grain doesn't show up so well in pics and if you google search images on the leathers you'll find Buffalo and bison have similar grain characteristics, dependent upon which area of the hide it comes from. I know some bootmakers don't like to work with bison because there is considerable stretch in the leather, or so I've been told. Either way, good looking boots.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Michael, could be. It's difficult to tell from pics. I have a pair of buffalo (water) boots that has a similar grain pattern but they are such a dark chocolate color the grain doesn't show up so well in pics and if you google search images on the leathers you'll find Buffalo and bison have similar grain characteristics, dependent upon which area of the hide it comes from. I know some bootmakers don't like to work with bison because there is considerable stretch in the leather, or so I've been told. Either way, good looking boots.

Good to know they pass muster Bama. I just picked them up today at Salvation Army. No maker indicated anywhere. I was looking at bison leathers and there is a huge variation in the grain on them, or so it seems. I did find some shoes that were made of bison and looked very similar to these. Besides the grain, the leather is very supple and feels somewhat waxy which I've read are characteristics of bison leather. Whatever they are I rather like them and they are oversized for me so they are very comfortable with a pair of heavy socks on. Now I have a pair of winter western boots.

Michael

Good to know they pass muster Bama. I just picked them up today at Salvation Army. No maker indicated anywhere. I was looking at bison leathers and there is a huge variation in the grain on them, or so it seems. I did find some shoes that were made of bison and looked very similar to these. Besides the grain, the leather is very supple and feels somewhat waxy which I've read are characteristics of bison leather. Whatever they are I rather like them and they are oversized for me so they are very comfortable with a pair of heavy socks on. Now I have a pair of winter western boots.

Michael

Very cool, Michael. Are there no markings, numbers or such in the shaft of the boots. Also, the sole area of the arch between the breast of the heel and where the flat part of the sole starts, is it pegged. Post pics when you have the chance. The reason I ask is because the stitch pattern on the shaft and the collar with the large stars is fairly unique. You may have stumbled across a handmade pair from a custom maker.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
No markings whatever in the shaft. Here is the arch area of the sole.
P1210632 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The heel
P1210633 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The shaft
P1210636 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
They are 12 1/2" from the top of the heel to the top of the shaft.
The stars are cut freehand as they are imperfectly shaped and now two are alike.
P1210634 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
And another closeup of the leather. The color is off somewhat because I forgot to change the white balance.
P1210638 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's not off terribly far though.

Michael

Very nice, Micheal. That double row of little square pegs is a sure indicator of a custom made or high end (think Lucchese Classics, Stallions, old Noconas and such) cowboy boots. W/O the presence of markings they are almost certainly custom made. Handmade to say the least. Those little pegs are lemonwood used to secure the sole around the arch support. We may never know the maker, and I have a couple pair, but I love these kind of finds. Great score and will look great with that Resistol Stagecoach.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Micheal. That double row of little square pegs is a sure indicator of a custom made or high end (think Lucchese Classics, Stallions, old Noconas and such) cowboy boots. W/O the presence of markings they are almost certainly custom made. Handmade to say the least. Those little pegs are lemonwood used to secure the sole around the arch support. We may never know the maker, and I have a couple pair, but I love these kind of finds. Great score and will look great with that Resistol Stagecoach.

Thanks for the information Greg. Very interesting. I notice there is one marking in the shaft.
P1210635 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The R written in pen on the lining at the top of the right boot shaft.

I'll have to try them out paired with the Stagecoach this week. We are in for a considerable cool down starting tomorrow so I'm afraid the straw hats and tartan jackets are going down for a long rest.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Just the designator of right or left.
That's what I figured. Dyslexic bootmaker? Hey, if I was ambitious I think I would start a business called The Dyslexic Bootmaker. I do have bit of that going on.

My guess is they are either bison or shrunken bull shoulder.

Thanks HJ. I'll have to remember to wear them someday when I'm stopping at the shoe repair shop and see if he has any thoughts on the subject.

Michael

Great looking boots, Michael. I'm inclined to agree with the assessment that they are either bison or water buffalo. And definately a hand made or custom pair. Nice catch! Congrats on those.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well, let's try this again.

6d747c8045190b6b2f055bae60effce1.jpg
How are those holding?

RJR

Great looking boots, Michael. I'm inclined to agree with the assessment that they are either bison or water buffalo. And definately a hand made or custom pair. Nice catch! Congrats on those.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm guessing that they are bison;here's a pic of a Black Jack in shrunken shoulder.
Black Jack-Shrunken shoulder.jpg

RJR

That's what made me think they were bison. The grain on shrunken shoulder is nearly as deep as elephant. I don't own any shrunken shoulder anymore but I know some cowboy hat wearing dude in Portugal that does.;)
I agree,here's the same boot in elephant.
Black Jack-Elephant.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy