Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customer experiences with Aero Leather

richard gerrard

New in Town
Hi, Im also waiting for my real deal jacket. I put my order in on the 7th may so dont worry youre not alone.I sent two emails last week but had no reply yet. This ones for Ranchman.Let me know how you get on.Thanks.

richard gerrard

New in Town
real deal

My real deal arrived today,ordered on the 7th of may worth waiting for.I got a size 44" more of a relaxed fit but it still looks neat.Janet made my jacket and she made a good job of it,Amanda was also very helpful with my measurements, great customer service.Iwould recomend them to anyone.

Nizdar

New in Town
In ten days, it will be 6 months from my initial order and payment on my highwayman. I never receive updates from Mark unless I e-mail him. In mid/late june, I touched base and received "Oughta be coming up anytime now. I'll advise as soon as I know for sure though."

If the jacket they send me comes before the weather cools and it fits well, there isn't really any consequence to this. I suppose I won't bother to speculate or complain any further. I just figured I should mention. 5 1/2 months. No explanation as to why.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Nizdar said:
In ten days, it will be 6 months from my initial order and payment on my highwayman. I never receive updates from Mark unless I e-mail him. In mid/late june, I touched base and received "Oughta be coming up anytime now. I'll advise as soon as I know for sure though."

If the jacket they send me comes before the weather cools and it fits well, there isn't really any consequence to this. I suppose I won't bother to speculate or complain any further. I just figured I should mention. 5 1/2 months. No explanation as to why.

One thing is that they have been closed for basically the month of July...love those European vaca schedules :D

So even though its been a while, the past month I doubt many jackets have been made.

If it makes you feel any better, I got mine the last week of July, and it has sat in my closet - and will continue to do so gathering dust - for another 2 months... :(

I know the wait can be trying, but unless you are on the North pole, even if you get it mid-sept, you're not missing much.

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Nizdar said:

I too got the "should be anytime now" response. I am not overly concerned.

However, it is beginning to become a bit annoying when you see folks who ordered two months after you taking delivery already. It does make you wonder how they process the orders and if ordering via the U.S. Rep is a quick way to the back burner.

bbc1969

Familiar Face
bobjones said:
I ordered my highwayman in march directly from Aero, and it had minimal custom work. What was it that you ordered, and how customized was it?

In my case I ordered my Highwayman on March 9th. Nothing custom other than the additional inside pocket that was offered with no charge.

Too hot to wear it here anyway, and given their reputation I am sure the jacket will be done by the time I need it.

However, sometimes I think it is too easy "customer service" wise to fall into the trap of just explaining away delays with the "this is custom work" excuse; and using that as the reason for a lack of communication on the vendors part.

It is one of those things that is only a minor annoyance in my mind at this point, but I think one thing that could be improved is that Aero and or their sales reps. could provide an unsolicited update when delivery times fall so far behind. Estimates that were even then based on the surge in orders.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
bbc1969 said:
It does make you wonder how they process the orders and if ordering via the U.S. Rep is a quick way to the back burner.

Regarding ordering from the US Rep, I'm under the impression that he gets jackets sent to him in batches to reduce shipping costs. Is this correct? If so, its pretty clear that this is a recipe for delays for customers who are unlucky enough to order early in the cycle. For instance if there is a group of 10 jackets/coats in an order and you're the first to order in that group of 10, then your jacket won't get shipped from Aero until all 10 are made. Depending on how things go, this could equal months of wait time. I could imagine the wait time would be particularly drawn out if the system works by waiting to accumulate a ceratin number of orders before shipping. For instance if you have to get 10 orders before anything is shipped.

How much do you save by ordering from the US Rep? This is not to suggest that he's not doing a good job. The delays are just a built in feature of the system. Reasonable communication about what you should expect is another thing...

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Southernwayfare said:
Regarding ordering from the US Rep, I'm under the impression that he gets jackets sent to him in batches to reduce shipping costs. Is this correct?

Mark advised me he gets his shipments twice each week. Not sure how they are triaged, but you may be correct.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Mine was ordered and paid for April 6th. It is very modified from the original pattern. As long as it arrives by the end of September, and fits right, I will be happy.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
I ordered May 7th, so I'm starting to rub my hands in anticipation. It may still end up taking a while longer, but I'm okay with that. I'm happy there's still a place where you can buy such well-made jackets. I plan on wearing it the rest of my life, so if I have to wait a couple more months to start doing so, it's not the end of the world.

Of course, I may feel differently in a couple months. Our weather is just now starting to cool off again to the point where I could actually wear it (long half belt).

bobjones

A-List Customer
bbc1969 said:
In my case I ordered my Highwayman on March 9th. Nothing custom other than the additional inside pocket that was offered with no charge.

Too hot to wear it here anyway, and given their reputation I am sure the jacket will be done by the time I need it.

However, sometimes I think it is too easy "customer service" wise to fall into the trap of just explaining away delays with the "this is custom work" excuse; and using that as the reason for a lack of communication on the vendors part.

It is one of those things that is only a minor annoyance in my mind at this point, but I think one thing that could be improved is that Aero and or their sales reps. could provide an unsolicited update when delivery times fall so far behind. Estimates that were even then based on the surge in orders.

I do not disagree, communication is key and it would be helpful if they kept you informed - even bad news about a delay is better than just being left in the dark.

But as another poster mentioned, Aero is Will handling management, Amanda on the phone and doing the operational paperwork, 1 fellow cutting, and 4 women sewing. Mark Moye is their US rep, but I would really have to doubt that he is dedicated to Aero, meaning he reps other manufacturers or companies' product as well. We might think of Aero as being like IBM or some other majore shop, but they are really a tiny firm.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just got the news that my Real deal Pre-war IRVIN will land at my doorstep within a month. September 11 at the latest.
(Comes in handy for some all night outdoor filmwork that starts the next week)

Allthough I ordered it - and payed for it - in june, I was allready told back then, that they could not start making the jacket before August - due to the arrival of new sheepskin. And the hollidays.
Perfectly understandable.

Being as few as they are, I think Aero is doing a fantastic job - and now the waiting is almost over! :D

FW190

New in Town
Aero B-6

Just as a heads-up for anyone that cares:

Amanda quoted 4-6 weeks for an order for an Aero B-6 a few days ago.........................not bad. (She is great to deal with)

I had ordered a Rough Wear B-6 from Eastman back in the fall and they quoted me 4-6 weeks and after 4-months with no follow-up notifications I cancelled it.

Hope this info helps

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Nizdar said:

Don't feel bad, same thing basically happened to me (ordered Nov/Dec 2008, received June 2009). You're not alone. :)

PS I am flying to London in a few weeks and will be spending four or five days there. Too bad I don't have time to fly up to Scotland to see the Aero operation in person!

JLStorm

Practically Family
I just got word that Will started working on my jacket last week and will be done in a few weeks. This jacket is a very customized mix of styles, but my last jacket was almost as custom and only took about a week of labor to make. Im not sure if this one will actually take a few weeks, or if Will works on more than one jacket at a time. If by some chance jackets are taking longer to make for some very odd reason, that explains some of the delay possibly. [huh]

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
FW190 said:
Just as a heads-up for anyone that cares:

Amanda quoted 4-6 weeks for an order for an Aero B-6 a few days ago.........................not bad. (She is great to deal with)

I had ordered a Rough Wear B-6 from Eastman back in the fall and they quoted me 4-6 weeks and after 4-months with no follow-up notifications I cancelled it.

Hope this info helps

Christ, 4 months for Eastman? A wait time like that makes you think they misplaced the order somewhere...

FW190

New in Town
No they didn't forget me.........I think it just happened to coincide with the start of the recession and the unstable stock market. I actually spoke with Mr. Eastman and he explained that the jacket was still on order with no real time frame available. Totally understandable but an e-mail to me assuring my jacket was "pushed back" and not forgotten would have been nice, thus the cancellation. It's not like I was purchasing a cheap wind breaker or something.

regards,

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo