Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actress Arleen Sorkin, the first to voice - and the inspiration for - beloved Batman character Harley Quinn:

No knock on Margot Robbie, but the original B:TAS Harley is still the best!
harley.jpg

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here

This one really hits home for me. I remember listening to him on a small transistor radio when I was a new recruit in the army. It was at the early start of his fame. Over the years I certainly attended a dozen or more of his concerts and owned every one of his vinyl albums back in the day. Most recently, when I was living in Europe, my wife and I saw him three times in Paris. Just a few days ago we visited the original Margaritaville Cafe‘ in Key West. I guess I am a parrothead. People like to cubby hole Jimmy as a singer of beachy party songs. Although there was that, his hardcore fans also valued him for the gentle philosophy found in his songs and for his incessant wanderlust. By all accounts, he was a good and decent guy. Good bye, Jimmy. You will be missed. Rest In Peace.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
This hits me hard too. I knew Jimmy through a friend of mine, Fingers Taylor, who was the first Coral Reefer–harmonica player.

I went to several of his recording sessions in the late 70s to early 80s. These were in Nashville and Franklin before he did the sessions in Montserrat. Don't think he came back after that. That probably was due to the fact he had moved from Franklin.

There was no reason to come back as he was a self contained recording unit (except for the engineer). He had his own band, he was the producer and he flew Elliot, the engineer, in from Los Angeles. Just pick a studio that isn't in high demand and save a bunch of money. Let Elliot figure out the new board.

I got to know Jimmy a little bit during the sessions, and can tell you the guy you saw on stage was not the same guy in the studio. He was all business when producing or recording (even the scratch vocals). In all of the hours I saw him in and around the control booths, I can't think of more than one or two times I saw him smile. And we all relaxed together, played football and had a good time when the tape wasn't running.

The only knock I have against Jimmy is that he just didn't pay his band members enough. Of course I'm a bit prejudiced because Fingers and I were like brothers; but still, it just wasn't enough money considering all that Jimmy made. Hopefully, he loosened up a bit in the last 25 years as he became well established and secure,

RIP Jimmy, It was a good ride.

PS I'm sorry I threw that high pass to you outside at Norbert's studio that caused you to jam your thumb when you tried to catch the ball. That has bothered me for the last 41 years.

Ron

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As a musician, to be honest Buffet's music did little for me. But people liked/loved what he did and how he did it... so who am I to judge. I have DEFINATE opinions on his "followers" however. Whenever he played in the area you couldn't swing a dead rat without smacking some yahoo in a hideous Hawaiian shirt or his wife with a parrot sticking out of her head! Don't get me wrong... I'll take them over Deadheads everyday and twice on Sunday BUT I just find them oddly disconcerting....

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo