Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dita Von Teese

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I wish I had that many hats! I think Dita's lovely.

As for bare moons - I use those hole reinforces that you use for paperwork, stick them to the base of my nail, paint over them and then peel them off before the varnish dries. It works better that I expected it to ^-^ x

alexandra

Practically Family
I wish they were mine, yes. However, I'd rather have the money to get everything vintage repro made specially for me.

Magpie Annie

Familiar Face
i love miss teese, i think she always looks wonderful! Her hat collection is to die for! I have been thinking about getting her book, does anyone here have it, or know if it has many/any hair and makeup tips in it? i would appreciate knowing before invest!

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
i don't have that book (yet!!!) but i hear it has some beautifull pics and that it's very well written. as for dita's beauty tips, just go to the nearest m.a.c. store ask them to give you a dita viva glam make-up session, i think they do it for free ;) oh, and don't forget to post us some 'after' picks...

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Magpie Annie said:
i love miss teese, i think she always looks wonderful! Her hat collection is to die for! I have been thinking about getting her book, does anyone here have it, or know if it has many/any hair and makeup tips in it? i would appreciate knowing before invest!

I've got it, it's really good, it has some vague sort of advice. No tutorials or anything, but it has information on looks of the 30's/40's/50's. It's worth it just for the pictures :)

Naama

Practically Family
I also have, and love the book :) She's an amazing women I think! She knows a lot of fashion and burlesque history and I think it was interesting to read, when she wrote about how she is no natural beauty but knows how to make herself a beauty and that everyone can be a beauty. But the make up tips in the book are more or less useless I guess, at least for the girls on the forum ;) Oh yes, and the pictures in the book are like WOW!!!

Naama

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
i'm not really a dita fan, but i like her sense of style, i looked this book up on e-bay and it's about 30$ is that a good price ? [huh]

D

Deleted member 3716

my house mate bought it,so i dont have to.
yay!
you wont learn anything new from it i suspect, but the pictures are very pretty.
i'm kinda all dita-d out at the moment though.
im sick of being called dita "von trapp" by people in bars just because i have dark hair.
two guys stopped their car,rolled down the window and shouted "dita" at me last week while i was waiting for a taxi.
its not that i dont think she is a beautiful woman with a great sense of style, and i know i should be very flattered, its just...i dunno....

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
glamour-girl said:
i'm not really a dita fan, but i like her sense of style, i looked this book up on e-bay and it's about 30$ is that a good price ? [huh]
I think that must be their only point of cultural reference, I've been called Betty Boop before and on tuesday I had someone on the bus singing the lyrics to "You're the one that I want" from Grease. They probably can't think of anything else to say [huh] xxx

epr25

Practically Family
I think people that don't have that much info to draw from come up with whatever comparisons that they can. I guess the fact that they noticed you amongst everyone else out that day could be considered a compliment?

MissHannah

One Too Many
Over the years I have had Olive Oyl, Betty Boo (not Boop), the woman from Deelite, the Cheeky Girls (I know!) and once, when I was wearing a Rosie scarf, Hilda Ogden!! (Non-brits google it!)

I'm not hugely interested in Dita either - I've read her book and I don't think she has anything of any real substance to say. She's very beautiful and nicely turned out but that's about it really.

Case in point: http://funwithfeminism.blogspot.com/2007/08/burlesque-queens.html

I haven't quite made up my mind about her yet.

D

Deleted member 3716

oh, i've had the hilda ogden thing too.
i think i'm fair game though, coming into work in curlers and a do-rag :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm happy to see pictures of Dita if they turn up (she does have a fabulous wardrobe) but I don't follow her exploits. Her interviews tend to be rather amusing. I chuckled when Dita said she isn't really a tight lacer--after all, her waist is 18" That's Scarlett O'Hara territory!

alexandra

Practically Family
Sometimes when I dress 60's I wear a beehive and I get millions of "Amy Winehouse" comments which really pisses me off because I hate her music with an extreme passion and think she's pretty much just a bad celebrity. Not to mention the fact that she's totally haggard.

I'm always like "No, this is not Amy Winehouse. This is 1960's, thanks."

and their response is always something like "Man Amy Winehouse is just so good at music I love her music."

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Magpie Annie said:

Absolutely! I love it... Her next book is going to be about beauty, cannot wait for that!:D

Laura Chase

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Over the years I have had Olive Oyl, Betty Boo (not Boop), the woman from Deelite, the Cheeky Girls (I know!) and once, when I was wearing a Rosie scarf, Hilda Ogden!! (Non-brits google it!)

I'm not hugely interested in Dita either - I've read her book and I don't think she has anything of any real substance to say. She's very beautiful and nicely turned out but that's about it really.

Case in point: http://funwithfeminism.blogspot.com/2007/08/burlesque-queens.html

I haven't quite made up my mind about her yet.

Miss Hannah, do you think what she said about feminism was alright or offensive, or you just can't make up your mind? :)

It's not just her looks, I like her demeanor also, or the way she behaves in interviews, anyway. She is very soft spoken and she just seems friendly somehow. I also find it interesting that she seems like a totally different person on stage compared to the way she seems in interviews. But really, if she didn't have a smashing taste in clothing, shoes, furniture and so forth, she probably wouldn't of much interest to me.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Check out this interview with her on youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=siLBLmixKBI&feature=related

My thoughts were

1) Marilyn Manson = Monster
2) Tom Green = Monster

Let the lady speak, for chrissakes!

I really don't like Marilyn Manson. I suppose it was a good career move for her, but she is surely waaaaaay out of his league. And that naked video he did with his new girlfriend after the breakup - completely distasteful :(

I'm not a huge burlesque fan, but like imoldfashioned, I'm happy to see pics of her turn up, and I'm always interested to see what she's wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy