Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dobbs "Gay Blade"

big kahuna said:
Does anyone have a photo of the gay prince whip stitching...or whip stitching on any hat other than a western hat??[huh]

How about these?
Stetson-Privateer2.jpg

GayPrince.jpg

Stetson-Privateer1.jpg

jimmy the lid said:
JP -- What model Stetson? Dating from?

Cheers,
JtL

Strangely, they don't have a model name on either of them. The darker brown on is a Suede Finish. The guy sold them to me as suede. [huh] :p
Likely both are from the 1950s or so since the Gay prince was from the same general era.
I have a Gay Prince that I picked up just to compare. They are nearly the same.

Regards,

J

big kahuna

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
Let's not forget the 1940:
DobbsCavalier-40.jpg

Its not out of the closest---its flaming. Look at the guy. :p lol
The Gay Blade was likely named after something else (Zorro maybe) and the hat looks great. I was going to bid but forgot about it. Glad you got it instead.

Regards,

J
ON LINE DEFINITION: 1. [n] a dashing young man; "gay young blades bragged of their amorous adventures".

J.B.

Practically Family
Nice hat, jimmy the lid -- especially the brim-edge treatment!

Also, at lower center in the ad below -- from the my-whipstitches-can-outponce-your-whipstitches department...

knoxglovefinishwo7.jpg

...don't forget the kaiser of kitsch -- the obscure "Glove-finish" Knox Alcazar! (Alternating whipstitches with pick stitches as an obvious one-up attempt at the Dobbs?!)

:D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, J.B. -- What is the hat at the top of the ad? It looks like Knox's version of the Whippet...

Cheers,
JtL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This is one look I can't see myself ever pulling off.
It certainly is interesting how many companies did it though.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Gay Blade has arrived!!!

The Gay Blade arrived today -- and I am lovin' this lid. The color is gorgeous -- the best description I can think of is that it is the same color as a mourning dove. The black ribbon looks very sharp against this color. The 1/2" bound edge is a complementary light tan. Brim width is 2 5/8", and open crown height is 5 1/2".

The felt is substantial and very nice. In lieu of a plastic liner, there is a translucent material. I think that this is what I have read about in other posts here on the Lounge, but I have never quite understood what people were talking about until now. I imagine that this lid dates from the forties, but perhaps some Dobbs experts could weigh in.

Auction photo:

afrontauction.jpg

Post-brush n' bash...

aRP5671.jpg

aLP5673.jpg

aProfile5668.jpg

aRwall5650.jpg

aLiner.jpg

aDobbs.jpg

aStraussCo.jpg

Cheers, :cheers1:
JtL

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice indeed. If I did not win that Stetson open Road, your hat was going to be my second try at getting a vintage. The new bash looks really sharp. congratulations.
Johnny

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, Thats a great looking hat Jimmy!!! Dobbs efinitely put out a quality product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21