Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early Aero A2 - Cosmic ordering or goal setting? - my latest find.

robrinay

One Too Many
I'm a baby boomer and true to type decided to put together a collection of jackets I'd have liked to own when I was younger poorer and more interested in lesser things. In common with most of you (perhaps) I started small and inexpensive with vintage Levis, L.L. Bean then moved up to Schott and recently Aero. Whether you believe in the concept of 'Cosmic Ordering' - doing a mental wish list and then finding the items or you see it as simply goal setting and then setting about acquiring the stuff it matters not. I have just found the A2 I've been aiming at - I gather from another thread on F.L. that this may be a very early A2 made by Ken Calder himself - I certainly hope so - can you help to confirm this? I found it in an antique/militaria shop tried it on, decided it was too trim a fit and left, to return early next day to see if I'd lost a few pounds overnight and although I hadn't, I bought it anyway. On reflection i like the fit.
IMG_1264_zps4fceae55.jpg
IMG_1262_zps03c4c15a.jpg
IMG_1261_zpsb43a5228.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure about how early of an Aero repro A2 it is..or if Ken actually made it..but Aero could probably tell you. Is there a small paper tag sewn along one of the inside pocket seams with the name or initials of a seamstress? I think it fits you well...and the rust knits and seal hide go very well together.
Congrats on a nice jacket
HD

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I decided waaaaay back to collect all the jackets I wanted, A2s B3s G1s, M422A, M445A but before I had even reached 10 years of age I wanted a sheepskin flying jacket. Why? No idea, probably having been brought up with older parents and stories of the Battle of Britain, the Dambusters and films on TV such as 633 squadron.
My mother never did buy me the sheepskin from C&A(I think they were real in the mid 1960s) but started my collection with a G1 from Ken Calders shop in Battersea back in 1981, I didn't know it was a G1, I just liked the jacket and one thing I can assure you is that it is a very expensive hobby;)
I've gave up buying military jackets a few years back but am still with Aero, just Civvy jackets instead.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations on a very nice jacket, which fits you well. Why not contact Ken at Aero Leather and he might be able to tell you if he made it himself. The contract number on the label is pure fantasy!

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I think that is a pretty good fit. I have a G-1 that snugs in like that, and I enjoy it fine. A great score. Good luck with the history of the jacket. Someone here will probably be able to tell you all you want/need to know. Thanks for the pics.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Could be made by Ken, or maybe Christine as nobody else made stand collar jacket back then. It's probably made between 1987-89, we didn't have rust knit before 1987 and we changed the label around 1990-92.

Christine is returning to Aero in the next 2 weeks, she was one of the finest machinists we've ever had, so can't wait for to be back. It won't be long til she's producing faultless A-2s again.

robrinay

One Too Many
Hey Rocketeer - What a coincidence - I always wanted a sheepskin flying jacket as a kid too and I finally bought one for my 40th. Birthday in June 1993 from Sherwood Lambskins in Nottingham and got a hefty discount buying a winter jacket as it was Summer. I've still got it and the patches from when I ripped it on door catches etc. but sadly Sherwood Lambskins are no longer trading.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Well as everyone is posting their early Aero's I suppose I had better post a pic of this:
Go on, guess how many [Aero jackets]are before this one; No clues Holly;)

P5030042-1.jpg

P5030043-1.jpg

A small clue, there are no labels, tags , contract numbers or anything like that to identify it.
Johnny Tee

robrinay

One Too Many
Let me think about that .... No labels etc. then it's got to be the prototype -so none is the answer- priceless- and if it is then that's fantastic! And if it isn't then it's out there somewhere so I'll keep looking.

Well as everyone is posting their early Aero's I suppose I had better post a pic of this:
Go on, guess how many [Aero jackets]are before this one; No clues Holly;)

A small clue, there are no labels, tags , contract numbers or anything like that to identify it.
Johnny Tee

None...but unfair..I've seen that jacket before. so you are THAT guy....
( Didn't you just sell it back?)
HD

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
None...but unfair..I've seen that jacket before. so you are THAT guy....
( Didn't you just sell it back?)
HD
So technically it is no longer mine, and technically it is not an Aero as it pre-dates the Aero Leather company, but it was the first jacket that Ken ever made.
Ken Calder made me this in 1982 after a lot of whinging and whining by me about getting hold of an original, which were difficult to obtain at this time.
Yes DaddyO, after 30 years it no longer fitted due to an expanding waist(actually that should read Fat belly), I wore it constantly for around 15-20 years then just occasionally, tried it on for nostalgic reasons, so last month I decided to move this old jacket along.
It now hangs in Kens office, and I doubt if it will ever be sold on, but it will always really be mine.

There is a bit about the jacket on Aero's Facebook page and if anyone is interested I'll start a new thread.
John

JohnnyTheJacketBigSuzi.jpg

Well..I'm interested..! All the info and any photos all in one place would be great. The history of the jacket and some Aero history would also be appreciated as well. There is also a very nice photo of Ken..you..and Lydia,too. I remember a few pics of the jacket on the old Aero site...and I think perhaps a pic on the classic20th forum. Of course any inside info or gossip about Ken Calder might be added to spice things up a bit. :D
Thanks
HD

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Well..I'm interested..! All the info and any photos all in one place would be great. The history of the jacket and some Aero history would also be appreciated as well. There is also a very nice photo of Ken..you..and Lydia,too. I remember a few pics of the jacket on the old Aero site...and I think perhaps a pic on the classic20th forum. Of course any inside info or gossip about Ken Calder might be added to spice things up a bit. :D
Thanks
HD
I'm working on something right now:cool:
JT

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks
HD

I've written a feature for my newspaper on Ken and Aero. Hopefully will appear in the next few weeks or so and will reveal how he was solely responsible for Suzi Quatro's career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner