Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early Aero A2 - Cosmic ordering or goal setting? - my latest find.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi guys
I have one also, it is a gorgeous jacket. The leather is a beautiful chocolaty colour, lovely grain and character and is soft and supple.
Pity its a 42 and I am a 40, otherwise this would be my daily wearer.
It may go on the 'bay soon to fund the next jacket, still undecided... Can't afford to keep more than one at one time.
P1140714_zpsb6a9044f.jpg

P1140719_zps3ef181a6.jpg

P1140709_zps8b61b10b.jpg

robrinay

One Too Many
As you say it's a gorgeous jacket, I'll keep an eye out for it on if you do decide to sell and see how much it goes for, to get an idea of the eBay value of mine - not that I'm ever going to sell this one it's going to stay a part of the hoard!

wdw

One Too Many
Brettaflett, it doesn't look too big at all to me. Surely a size down would be too tight looking?

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
So technically it is no longer mine, and technically it is not an Aero as it pre-dates the Aero Leather company, but it was the first jacket that Ken ever made.

It was the first military, or Aero type Jacket Ken made. He actually made his first leather jacket when he was around 19, and let me tell you that was a LONG time ago ;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It was the first military, or Aero type Jacket Ken made. He actually made his first leather jacket when he was around 19, and let me tell you that was a LONG time ago ;)
Thanks Holly, thats sort of what I meant.
At 19 I could barely sew the holes in my jeans! Nowadays you would pay extra for rips;)
John

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Rocketeer- is that early Calder creation made of steerhide or horsehide? I thought I read somewhere that Aero didn't have horse in the beginning, or I could be confusing them with Eastman.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
It probably moos rather than whinnies. It is made from that leather that had a worn in look popular in the early 1980s, but it was cut and put together before the finish became distressed, so it had an even finish all over.
After a few years I dyed it with shoe dye sprayed all over and also gave it a considerable dose of KO CHO LINE leather conditioner. Pecards? Never heard of it then and I still use KO CHO to this day.
I'll be doing a special post on the life and times of this jacket soon so keep a look out. This always was my favourite A2, yes even when I had originals, and Ken if you read this, I miss it dearly just hanging in my wardrobe . I don't mind questions so ask away.
Cheers everyone, Johnny(definatley not Strabler)
PS I have heard that Gary learnt everything about making jackets from peeking in certain shop windows in Battersea. Nudge nudge wink wink.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Rocketeer- is that early Calder creation made of steerhide or horsehide? I thought I read somewhere that Aero didn't have horse in the beginning, or I could be confusing them with Eastman.

Aero's FQHH didn't come along til the mid-late 80s. Nobody was using that hide because it is so damn hard to work - you literally have to bash into submission. I think Ken realised that despite this, people wanted the look of FQHH and managed to strike a deal with one of the few tanners who produced the stuf (the guy was apparently glad to get rid of it because he had stacks of it lying around the tannery)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'm a baby boomer and true to type decided to put together a collection of jackets I'd have liked to own when I was younger poorer and more interested in lesser things. In common with most of you (perhaps) I started small and inexpensive with vintage Levis, L.L. Bean then moved up to Schott and recently Aero. Whether you believe in the concept of 'Cosmic Ordering' - doing a mental wish list and then finding the items or you see it as simply goal setting and then setting about acquiring the stuff it matters not. I have just found the A2 I've been aiming at - I gather from another thread on F.L. that this may be a very early A2 made by Ken Calder himself - I certainly hope so - can you help to confirm this? I found it in an antique/militaria shop tried it on, decided it was too trim a fit and left, to return early next day to see if I'd lost a few pounds overnight and although I hadn't, I bought it anyway. On reflection i like the fit.
IMG_1262_zps03c4c15a.jpg

Hi guys
I have one also, it is a gorgeous jacket. The leather is a beautiful chocolaty colour, lovely grain and character and is soft and supple.
Pity its a 42 and I am a 40, otherwise this would be my daily wearer.
It may go on the 'bay soon to fund the next jacket, still undecided... Can't afford to keep more than one at one time.
P1140714_zpsb6a9044f.jpg
So what hides are these made from? I once owned a labelless A2 in Connelly that came from Aero in the mid 80s, dont really know if they made it though or if it was bought in stock.
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy