Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman B6 Standard Review PHOTOS

Xopher

A-List Customer
Howdy Folks,
I wanted to give a short review of the Eastman Standard B6 with photos because many have asked for one and I haven't seen one done yet.
I recently purchased the Standard B6 from History Preservation Associates. I must say the fellow there is one of the last shining examples of amazing customer service, as he patiently answered all my stupid questions over the course of 4 or 5 phone calls. I ordered over the phone and in 1 day the UPS man walked up with the jacket of my dreams that has been mocking me from the other side of the computer screen for 7 years. My initial impression as I opened the very nice zippered garment bag it came in was "OMG its amazing!" Years of imagining what it would feel like left me a little surprised to find how light it was. I was also really surprised to see how thin the leather itself felt. The coating on the hide seemed really thin and I had some panic moments of imagining a hole or gash in the my new prize. I also noticed there were some surface cracks in the sleeve which had me worried, so I called HPA and the fellow dispelled any worries I had. The jacket is made to do that just like the originals, this hide is thin but strong and there is likely no better reproduction as accurate...my mind was set at ease and I embraced the small almost unnoticeable cracks thinking now that they are already there, I dont have worry when I accidentally put one in. In my opinion, the jacket is the most perfectly designed jacket ever made. The length lays just over my jeans pockets, great for cold days. The zipper sides are amazingly convenient, I thought I would much rather the straps on the sides but after using them, Id never give up the zippers! The just of the jacket fits in all the right ways that allow for movement, I admit at times it is a little difficult to flip the collar up and down but its a matter of learning how to move differently to do it, and probably just letting it break in a little bit. All in all, I find it worth every penny. It is a jacket for those who know exactly what they want and who want it exactly like the originals. I am embarrassed to admit its cost to admirers, because most could not fathom that amount of money on a jacket, but to me its history, an entire concept, a memorial, and fantasy all wrapped up into the most functional item that I can have with me 3/4 of the year. I didnt buy just a jacket, I bought everything that era means to me...well worth it. So Ill shut up, here some photos, a Sherman Tank, and the obligatory selfie of me trying to look cool on train tracks.

To give an idea of fit for those interested.
Eastman B6 Standard- Size 44R
My measurements
Chest 42.5'' to 43''
Waist 36''
Hight 5'7''
Weight 190lbs

1120150728.jpg

1120150729.jpg

1121150933.jpg

1121150934.jpg

1121150931.jpg

1121150951.jpg

1121150950b.jpg

1120150728.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1120150728.jpg

ELC should use those on their website! Fantastic pics. Jacket is lovely and fits perfectly. Well done. Those are not typically looking so good on their owners...

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great review & one fantastic jacket that fits you superbly :) Got to love that quarter inch shearling.

zhz

Practically Family
Congrats, the jacket fits you perfect.

May I ask how warm is this jacket? I heard the b6 from ELC is much thinner than other makers, I think it is 1/4 shearling is it warm enough? Can I survive with it when temperature is under -5 C? Thank you

...and the obligatory selfie of me trying to look cool on train tracks.

Succeeded! I'm falling in love with this jacket! Had no idea it's possible to have a full action back on a shearling jacket. I much prefer the look of a side zippers to the straps. Congrats on this one! Fantastic jacket!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wore my ELC RAF Irvin BoB type out today with our Southern UK temperatures dropping last 24 hrs (jackets first outing in 2 yrs). I've found my D-1 far more practical with our climate, the quarter inch shearling copes well with our winters and can be easily bumped up with a C-3 vest or RAF wool sweater if required. I deliberately purchased the ELC D-1 because as well as it's historical accuracy it was only a quarter inch shearling. Pockets are great too for wallet & mobile.

Xopher

A-List Customer
With just a t-shirt under this I am pretty comfortable down to a touch under 40 Fahrenheit, but with just a little bit of layering I could early go to below freezing maybe even to 0 Fahrenheit

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Nailed it. The b-6 and ANJ-4 are amongst my favourite jackets. I would love to try a couple on just to put the warmth into perspective and see if it is feasible in my climate. I think they look incredible. Congratulations!

Stand By

One Too Many
Fantastic photos - and a Sherman tank as a backdrop! Perfect! I don't think that's ever been done - I love it. And the jacket is a winner and the fit is spot-on. It looks great on you.
Good review too with your thoughts and I can echo them. I had my ELC RW B-6 on yesterday and it's had a lot of use this Fall. And now perhaps you'd understand why, when the temps dip a but further still, I like to wear my Aero C-3 over my B-6 as it extends it's service life just a bit longer - anything to squeeze out a bit of extra enjoyment from the B-6!
I'm glad you're happy with ELC and HPA and thanks for posting!

heron163

One of the Regulars
It is a jacket for those who know exactly what they want and who want it exactly like the originals. I am embarrassed to admit its cost to admirers, because most could not fathom that amount of money on a jacket, but to me its history, an entire concept, a memorial, and fantasy all wrapped up into the most functional item that I can have with me 3/4 of the year. I didnt buy just a jacket, I bought everything that era means to me...well worth it.
1120150728.jpg

all well said and you will have something of substance and permanance... wear it well and enjoy it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21