Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I actually shipped back that LL Bean hat. The more I looked at the grossly inaccurate description of color (silverbelly v. green) and the number of "inconspicuous" moth bites (20 - 25 at last count, with one cluster of 8-10 nearly going clear through the thickness of the felt) I just decided that was too much to put up with and I filed a grievance. It shipped out yesterday.

Interestingly, I noticed another one of this guy's hats that I was outbid on is now back in his hands and up for auction again. I wonder what the story is on that.... :rolleyes:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I actually shipped back that LL Bean hat. The more I looked at the grossly inaccurate description of color (silverbelly v. green) and the number of "inconspicuous" moth bites (20 - 25 at last count, with one cluster of 8-10 nearly going clear through the thickness of the felt) I just decided that was too much to put up with and I filed a grievance. It shipped out yesterday.

Interestingly, I noticed another one of this guy's hats that I was outbid on is now back in his hands and up for auction again. I wonder what the story is on that.... :rolleyes:
Please write this down...a check list of questions to ask a seller about any hat you buy...

Measurements...never settle for a hat size tag...hats (more so vintage) can shrink.
Have them actually measure and explain how to measure and check that.
Color of the hat...pictures do not always show a good representation of actual color. If a seller is clueless about silverbelly or any other color, ask what color does it appear and to maybe compare it to something else that is of a known color.
Ask about any surface marks, soils, moth nibbles. Some sellers do not know what a moth nibble is..so explain it to them
Ask how they will ship the hat if you win the auction.
Ask the history of the hat...did they buy and wear it, collect hats like we do, etc, where did the hat come from.

Then any other questions you can think of. If you are going to spend the time and money, you owe it to yourself to know what you are getting yourself into...'

I normally ask all these questions if I feel anything at all may surface after I purchase...best be safe then sorry. Information is golden!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Most of my hats are from ebay. I've ordered a few custom hats and while I wait these keep me occupied.

Most are pretty good transactions and, in the end, all have been acceptable except this one. It was just crazy, wrong color and just a moth-bitten rag. I figure, a guy calls a hat silverbelly he must know something about hats. I think he just got really loose with his description.

Some hats have been awesome. The vintage Wormser Milan for $18 shipped is a standout. I went home for lunch, dropped off the felt hat I wore to work this morning, and wore the Milan back to work as we're looking at 80+ degree days this week.

Update on the Dobbs: now they're saying Thursday afternoon for delivery... ah, the anticipation. I wrote to the seller of the Dobbs and confirmed that it was fur felt and NOT Shantung as listed in his description. Apparently, he used the same template for listing this hat as a previously listed shantung straw and it defaulted to that. My gain. I wonder how many people looked at that description and passed on by without really looking at the pictures.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Please write this down...a check list of questions to ask a seller about any hat you buy...

Measurements...never settle for a hat size tag...hats (more so vintage) can shrink.
Have them actually measure and explain how to measure and check that.
Color of the hat...pictures do not always show a good representation of actual color. If a seller is clueless about silverbelly or any other color, ask what color does it appear and to maybe compare it to something else that is of a known color.
Ask about any surface marks, soils, moth nibbles. Some sellers do not know what a moth nibble is..so explain it to them
Ask how they will ship the hat if you win the auction.
Ask the history of the hat...did they buy and wear it, collect hats like we do, etc, where did the hat come from.

Then any other questions you can think of. If you are going to spend the time and money, you owe it to yourself to know what you are getting yourself into...'

I normally ask all these questions if I feel anything at all may surface after I purchase...best be safe then sorry. Information is golden!
Good advice and if I can add... give the seller DETAILED shipping instructions.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
He probably took an offer and it does not reflect it on the final sales page...I have done that before buy something for less than auction but it still showed asking price....
If an offer is accepted, it will appear there. It also does not say SOLD, only that the listing ended. I don't believe it was sold on the bay.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Good advice and if I can add... give the seller DETAILED shipping instructions.
That is a good thing as well..I do at times ask how it will be shipped and explain to be sure they mark the shipping box "do not crush"....very important and some ebay sellers would just jam a hat in a shipping envelope not understanding how wrong that is! But most know what they are doing.

Most of my hats are from ebay. I've ordered a few custom hats and while I wait these keep me occupied.

Most are pretty good transactions and, in the end, all have been acceptable except this one. It was just crazy, wrong color and just a moth-bitten rag. I figure, a guy calls a hat silverbelly he must know something about hats. I think he just got really loose with his description.

Some hats have been awesome. The vintage Wormser Milan for $18 shipped is a standout. I went home for lunch, dropped off the felt hat I wore to work this morning, and wore the Milan back to work as we're looking at 80+ degree days this week.

Update on the Dobbs: now they're saying Thursday afternoon for delivery... ah, the anticipation. I wrote to the seller of the Dobbs and confirmed that it was fur felt and NOT Shantung as listed in his description. Apparently, he used the same template for listing this hat as a previously listed shantung straw and it defaulted to that. My gain. I wonder how many people looked at that description and passed on by without really looking at the pictures.
It was not my size, but it did catch my eye... I'm happy this hat went to a fellow Lounger.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I am so stoked! I went home for lunch and the Dobbs fedora was there. Not only is this NOT a Shantung straw as originally advertised, but it's a deep, dark chocolate brown with the LONG HAIR satin finish! Man, I am in love with this hat! And for $40, what a deal!

I can't even tell if it's been worn. The original receipt from 2004 is in the box from the Henry The Hatter shop in Detroit... for $143.xx !!!

I thought, I don't care if it's 80 degrees outside, I'm wearing this baby back to the office! So the Wormser Milan is at home, stewing about the whole ordeal and I'm sitting here as happy as a clam in the off season. :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272358327233?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Aaaaaaaannndddd... I just did something stupid.
This pulled a trigger on me. For $75 I could not let it go!
25seller01.jpg

25seller02.jpg

25seller03.jpg

25seller04.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner