Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ELMC Roadster - Review

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently picked up a lightly used ELMC Roadster in Walnut off eBay. The description said it had been worn 6-8 times but not sure how accurate that is but it certainly isn't old or well worn.

c26b5073a7f5d7a9fdd8812e7cc06e1b.jpg

150f0c1fc950f372100ec9d28af37e96.jpg

It's a great Buco J-24 inspired jacket.
2.5oz Italian vegetable tanned, aniline dyed.
The colour (walnut) is nice deep brown, a little darker than Aeros FQHH Brown.

It's a light leather compared to the usual suspects around here, lighter than the Vicenza, about the same as shinki but not quite as stiff as my Shinki Buco by DD.

The lining is a nice (fairly course Wool in a muted tartan pattern)

9fa1df1e0af46eaa258ffcf5eb37abe3.jpg

Overall the light leather and lightish lining make it a good Spring jacket.

Construction is great, stitching is nice and even but just be aware that the leather wears and ages really quickly, MUCH faster than anything else I own.

30ee571c792e468948f839958d012694.jpg

eb7f8cdb762a4ce33508f2a547d42f8c.jpg

04a9f66d0aecebbd708d898d198754b3.jpg

One of the main culprits is the sleeve zip. This is scratching the crap out of the waist/front of the jacket as I walk, even if I remember to lock the tab down. If I don't, the little spike scratches even more....maybe I'm too used to my j100 and board racer with the zip on the top of the forearm?

b48ea244ee93de7651440c9490f665a7.jpg

The Zips used are easily the worst part of the jacket. They have KWIK printed on the metal pulls. They just don't run that smoothly, maybe it is too new and they haven't broken in yet? But to me they don't seem to match the quality of then rest of the jacket.

The length is marginally shorter than the specifications listed, I definitely wouldn't want it shorter than it is. Overall I think it's a good length as a modern interpretation of an vintage short jacket to be worn with modern lower rise jeans.

Sleeves are very trim, especially moving down to the forearm and range of motion is great, aided by the shoulder gussets.

Overall I'm really happy with the purchas, but then again I got it at a great price. Full price of these off he rack is the same as a lot of the custom options out there. I'm just lucky this fits so well......at least I think it does lol

64e95cc6eb4c21431073e93b70677613.jpg

22f700b8b4f60ca3ddd903c8f6276184.jpg

Last edited:

technovox

One Too Many
Beautiful classic D-pocket Jacket! And it looks much better in your pics than it did in the ebay photos. Especially the leather- much darker, richer and deeper in tone.
And the fit looks right on (if you're comfortable with a shorter looking jacket.) Personally, I'm really warming up to the shorter leather jackets these days. Good score!

dan_t

Practically Family
Cracking score there!!
I think it looks brilliant on you & I don't mind the surface wear, it adds character to an already great jacket.

It really looks ace! The jacket itself is very nice (I always loved ELC rendition, perhaps moreso than the RMC) but this is one of few occasions where the fit actually makes the jacket look even better. Wouldn't touch the length of the jacket, if it doesn't bother you. Perfect in my eyes.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Nice! I told you it was going to be a great fit on you!

It's weird how worn it is, either it was worn far more than 6-8 times, or maybe it was given the time worn treatment.
I think that for an extra £80 you can have any of their jackets time worn.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Perfect fit and I like how it's evolved, my concern is always when will it stop evolving and what will it look like then? I suppose if it starts to look too beat up for your taste, you can always hit it with some conditioner that will darken it some. Looks like you did very well with this one.

A-1

One Too Many
Congratulations on a great looking jacket! It suits and fits you perfectly. I wouldn’t change a single thing.

Edward

Bartender
Nice score. I have a very early Roadstar (from the 90s) I plan to sell soon. It's a nice jacket design. Scary money these days, new, though!

Blackadder

My friend has one and I tried it on a few years back.. Great leather and workmanship. It is lighter in weight compared to their earlier Roadster, the complete Buco repro with the zips and pockets at the back.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Great Review and pictures. My ELMC Californian does not wear like this. Looks more like the wear on my BK and Himel Heron. I like it. I like the lighter weight leather.

ProteinNerd

It's weird how worn it is, either it was worn far more than 6-8 times, or maybe it was given the time worn treatment.
I think that for an extra £80 you can have any of their jackets time worn.

I didn't realise there was a time worn option, maybe that explains it?

The interior leather and lining are pristine. It makes sense then that if other people that have experience with this jacket and/or type leather didn't have this much wear, maybe it is factory "distressing".

I have to say then that they do an amazing job at it. I would never in a million years thought it was fake ageing! It looks great.

Thanks for that insight.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

The interior leather and lining are pristine. It makes sense then that if other people that have experience with this jacket and/or type leather didn't have this much wear, maybe it is factory "distressing".

I have to say then that they do an amazing job at it. I would never in a million years thought it was fake ageing! It looks great.

Thanks for that insight.

The website doesn't tell if they do or not, but they offer the option on their A2 jackets and do it stock on their Californian.
Not long ago the option for LONG sizes wasn't available on the website but was available if you got in touch with them.
I wonder if someone might have special ordered it Time Worn from the factory.
Maybe sent them an email asking if it has been done.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab

Thanks for that insight.

I spoke to Charles from HPA about the ELMC Windward and inquired about the aging on that jacket. He said it is lightly "aged" and that it is very nicely done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran