Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

False Valor/ Walter Mitty

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone.

A recent discussion on a thread I posted about repro flight jackets got me thinking;
How do we all feel about wearing a repro (or original) military jacket, and where does is become 'False Valor'? Where and how do you draw the line?

I'd wager that we'd all agree that this sort of thing is out of line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Bd0hUkA1k

But what about (for example) flight jackets?

I get that some jackets are iconic style classics with a lot of cultural value; if you're a Brit, then Irving jackets are going to have a soft spot in your heart the way an A-2 might for many Americans. That's fine, I think, but what about patched jackets? I've always said that patched jackets are a great way to remember and show respect for The Greatest Generation. If you know something about the squadrons associated with the patches you wear, they can be great conversation starters, and many WWII patches are great pieces of period art. I think it's unlikely that I would ever be mistaken for masquerading as a real WWII veteran at my age, but then A-2's are issue items again...

It gets a bit more tricky with USN jackets since they've been around for such a long time superficially unchanged. Not just that, but a simple stamped leather name patch on an A-2 is useful to stop someone stealing your jacket, but USN jacket name patches have rank and wings and such, and that's a bit more open to misunderstanding I think. I name patch my USN jackets because I think that the jacket looks more accurate with it, but now I'm thinking that I need to get to work rubbing away at the wings.

Recently, I've been thinking about patching up some late 60's/early 70's MA-1 repros for Vietnam squadrons. I think that's ok because most of those guys are my Father's age now (or older), but I also came across a patch grouping for a USN squadron that was involved in the first Gulf of Sidra incident. I was really tempted to throw them on an E-series G-1, but then thought that those pilots are really just too close to my age in real life.

What do you guys think, and how do you draw the line? I love flight jackets because of their status as cultural and style icons, and I think that it's ok to be a patriot and remember these guys (for me, they're heroes). But I'd be mortified if anyone really thought I was faking that I was one of those guys.

Please tell me what you think.
I'm open to persuasion if you think I'm unfairly basking in others glory.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
This is why I have no patches, decals, or insignia on any of my jackets. I am not a veteran, I'm just someone who digs classic flight jackets. Yes, the source of some of my interest is to honor my parents, who both served in WWII (Army Air Corps and Marines)... but neither of them were flyers or had distinguished service careers.

Obviously, anybody who wants to put patches, rank insignia, etc., on their jackets can and should. But for me, I decided long ago that I don't want anyone misunderstanding that I had a military career based on my jackets. They look iconic enough just plain... for me, anyway. Your mileage may vary!

Otter

One Too Many
I served in the Royal Artillery, I don't have a huge problem with people wearing patched up jackets. Obviously so as I own several myself. The only one I have rank tabs on is a repro of a jacket made for a B-17 bombadier which he wore to reunions. My only beef is with people wearing unearned medals or combat awards. And no, I am not one of the people who stand up at Seaworld when they ask Vets to stand up.

Cocker

Practically Family
Depends on the jacket, and on the era your patch are from.

I have no problem with someone wearing an A-2, G-1, MA-1, L-2 or whatever with patches from WW2/Korea/Vietnam. This, to me, is paying respect to those guys, not trying to pass for a veteran. I agree with Otter on the ranks/combat awards and so on. People hanging around with jackets with ranks or combat awards on it, well, I take most of them as frustrated people who just try to look the part, when they actually never put a foot in combat. The only acceptable exception for this is reenacting / historical airsoft games. I have a late Vietnam war 3rd type jungle jacket I use at Vietnam themed airsoft events where I support a pair of SSgt collar ranks, but I don't wear it in public, only during games, or for fun at the shooting range, but that's it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Wear the jackets, but it's only right to remember and honor the sacrifices, big and small, of anyone in uniform. Can't say enough good things about our veterans. Shining beacons of human goodness, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I like to adopt a little element of army look into my personal style in combat boots, and pants, but I stay away from badges from real units even from another countries, the only badges I have sewn on my jacket is from video game title Metal Gear :D

Stand By

One Too Many
I love the air force squadron/group patches of that whole era and, as you say Big J, some of them are artful and have meaning - and as stated, I think it's a good way to remember the many guys who dutifully served and strived and suffered, many making it and many not, so they aren't otherwise forgotten in this increasingly shallow world that suffers from an increasingly collective long- and short-term memory loss problem.
I think some carefully chosen patches make a jacket too and really enhance the look of it.

However…
Rank or silver wings - I'd say that's a no-no. I wouldn't go there. I tried once but I just couldn't talk myself into a pair of vintage silver Captain bars that I found on the web that were beautifully tarnished and were as dull as dishwater and wouldn't stand out at all on the right A2. But the bottom line was that I hadn't earned them, so that was a no. And I've never considered it again since.
I think the only possible exception for me would be if I wanted a fully faithful reproduction of a particular jacket - ELC's version of their "Hell's Angels Group" comes to mind. You can get it from them with the jacket art all done (and very nicely done too IMO), but I notice in my old and battered copy of The Golden Book that the original jacket also had Lt/Captain (hard to make out which) bars on the epaulettes - the one ELC supplies doesn't. As long as the jacket didn't have MY name on the name tag and clearly had someone else's, I'd feel okay with that - as I wouldn't be trying to pass myself off as that guy nor taking credit for anything - in fact, it'd be a tribute to that guy. That would be the only possible exception I can think of.

If it was me with a Vietnam era jacket, I'd go for patching it up as they looked great and I personally think they look better with patches than without - but I'd opt for a patches that were issued before I was born - so pre-1967. Just a quirk that sits better with me for no reason I can make a good argument for … it just does. The USN name tags look great, I know, and again help to finish the jacket - but many had the silver wings stamped into them, so as you say, I think it'd be a case of sanding out and staining with tea to make it subtle to the point of illegibility.
I also prefer to wear the unofficial patches of the day (which I have on my ANJ-3) - such as the leather patches that were incised and painted and sold to USAF crews at Italian bazaars by local artisans in the Mediterranean Theatre of Operations and I like them as they were unofficial - but still were very prevalent and looked so good. And the name tag on my ANJ-3 is of that type too - scored by hand and therefore very unofficial, but looks the part.

Last edited:

armscye

One of the Regulars
I'm from a family with two real career military pilots and an air scout, sired by a combat photographer who flew CAP later in life. Yet I am not a pilot, other than an hour or so at the controls of a Cessna in mid flight. If I showed up for Thanksgiving wearing a patched jacket, even if it said "Hilts", "Col. Hogan", "Ryan" or "Enterprise VF-6", I'd be shown the door.

For the general public, any patch implies past military service, and to my family that is clear-cut stolen valor. To show how far that goes in my family, when I inherited some of my Dad's dark-olive wool Army shirts, I changed the buttons from the mil-spec bakelite to bone, to avoid any potential confusion.

Your mileage may vary, but in my experience that's the general attitude in most military families.

Peacoat

Bartender
The only patches, badges and insignia that I wear are the ones that were on my flight jacket when I was active duty. As long as someone isn't posing, I have no problem with them wearing a few patches. Rank, Ranger tabs, flight wings, Dolphins, Tridents and other specific insignia are all in a different category. Don't wear it if you didn't earn it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thats the real reason I dont wear uniform with my jackets. I have a patched A2 but only ever wear it with matching(colour wise) trousers/pants ties and boots etc. I suppose my one folly is attaching a WWII bomb wing to a Harley riders cap but would never pin them to a uniform jacket or wear medals of any kind I did not earn.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I served as a Sgt. in Regular Army. I wear jackets with some fighter squadron patches but those squads are long gone. I think its alright to wear stuff from the "Brown Shoe" Army, I'd NEVER wear anything from Viet Nam or newer. I'd wear a 2nd Inf. Div Patch and 1st of the 9th because I served with the 2nd Engineers and the 8th. I think people festooned with "Top Gun" junk look silly. However anyone wearing combat medals that didn't endure it, need to be talked to, by real vets... with bats.

Worf

bentusian

One of the Regulars
I don't put my name on the name tags - I put the name of a real historic person or an imaginary one (like a movie character).

Cocker

Practically Family
Just realized something that makes a big difference, in my eyes. I'm living in Belgium, if I'd wear a jacket with USAF/Navy/Army patches or whatever on it, I could never be mistaken for a US soldier! :D

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally I don't like having any patches on my jackets or even the USAF Doughnut on 50's flight nylon (I wasn't there), but I can appreciate why others do.

However, having said that I do have a couple of Nam period Flight Jackets that I purchased that are subtlety patched with what to me appear to period patches that have lived on that jacket a long time & it feels kind of wrong to separate them from one another.

Here in the UK there isn't much chance I'll be mistaken for a vet in a lightly patched MA1 ..... Skin Head possibly :)

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for your opinions and feedback guys.
Some really insightful comments. I have a lot to think about. I guess that it's kind of easy to set out with the intention of showing your respect, but unknowingly sliding down the slippery slope to being a faking poseur.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
When I was a young kid, I had sewn a baseball hat with RAF wings on. I wore it once or twice and My Parents took me to the Air Museum to see the Bombers...This mean Tempered sour old Hag at the Merch booth of the Hamilton Air Museum Tore a strip out of me for wearing them on my hat. I was very upset because it was such a shock and Stern Reprimand.

I was having a great day checking out the Lancaster and B-25 on display!

then This bitter four-eyed Grey Rat Just Starts heckling me out from behind the counter on my way out about it.

about how its an insult to the REAL WWII veterans (who are probably all but gone now anyway)

Its something I have not forgotten.

I thought it was a good sign of respect to show my interest in the RAF this way.

It was not my intention to use it like some Fashion statement, was more interested in the RAF than Fashion.

I mean...I Bought the wings at an army surplus store! (they were available to Civilians, I bought em! I paid for em, technically they are MINE to do as I wish even if it was to wipe my ass with them If I wanted to!!! Why are they being sold to anyone in the FIRST PLACE! if they are not to be worn on something for people to see, you know)

I Took the time to find them, and sew them on myself etc and pay for them with my own money.

Some people are looking For ANY excuse Just to be a Jerk to somebody..you know.

I will wear whatever the hell I want to wear and that is no ones business but my own.

Distinctly recall that I busted and ripped those wings off that hat later that night. Damn Old ladies with no life anyway.

Will add this much to it;

I was even GIVEN a full RAF uniform (Great coat and ALL!!! The wheel and deal! Hat Blouse, tunic and more!) BY a True Veteran of the RAF who flew DC-3s in Burma during WWII, he took such a shine to me as a kid because of my interest in what his Involvement in the war more so than his own Grown kids ever did, that he spent time with me telling me all his stories and amazing Things he went through during his Time in the war! and Dug out his uniform and gave it to me at Christmas as a gift. I was Just completely in another world!

people have offered me Trades and phoned me more than three times to ask me to sell it to them even, but They were passed down to me personally and That is the TRUE priceless Value of the uniform.

They have his bars Sewn on, and that is Sacred.

Something Like that is not to be worn. That much is Very True.

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
Out of all my flight jackets, both A2 & G1, the only jacket I have patched was my very first A2 which was a 1980's Cooper with a name tag, Squadron patch of the 334th FS, 4th FG and the 8th AF shoulder patch.

The reason for the choice of patch as you can see from my avatar was that the 334th evolved from the RAF ES no. 71 Squadron once the USAAF joined the war.

All other jackets are unpatched which I prefer making it easier to wear in public without any funny looks but also helps the re-sell options if I need to shift a jacket along.

I've still kept my Cooper A2 as it was my first but never wear it, more sentimental value really.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think that 101th airborne patch is among the most replicated badge, it is practically sewn everywhere including butt of a pants by fashion industry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy