Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishermen's sweaters site

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Hi,

Can anybody comment on the difference between the wool types? My girlfriend has a cream jumper from Sou West Chunkies that is warm and quite soft.
The wool type wasn't specified, but I notice that they do Herdwick and Jacob wool too.
Which breed provides the hardest wearing wool fibres?

Cheers.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I can't comment on Jacob but Herdwick is an incredibly hardwearing very rough wool, like the sheep themselves which are a fell dwelling breed left very much to their own devices, and generally bred for meat!

D

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have a sou west chunkie in Herdwick which is a rougher wool, seems very hardwearing and I am very comfortable when wearing it, even with only a thin t-shirt on underneath. I have been enjoying wearing my chunkies again in the past few weeks as the weather is cooler now.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I've been wearing one of these for the last month or so off and on. I'm a big fan.

IMG_4743.JPG

That a great looking sweater you have there sir.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Grayland, I definitely like it and it's been getting a lot of use this fall.

alsendk, I asked for a dark gray. Peter gave me a call and said they had a light grey but he could throw in some black to darken it. It's very similar to this wool posted earlier in this thread with the colored nepps. If you request a dark grey he'll probably give you something similar to this. I gave him my exact measurements and when he called he said that he'd add a couple of inches to give it some more room.

The wool on my sweater/jumper is a thick coarse wool. It's almost thick enough to stop being scratchy and just feel rough which I like. I generally wear it with a t-shirt underneath and it doesn't bother my arms appreciably.

Thanks stevieboy1, for the price it's hard to beat.

Metatron

One Too Many
Another satisfied customer here, I also went for charcoal nepp, but I opted for a gansey (not as chunky) similar to Rudie's specs, double cuffs, long waistband. I have also been pleasantly surprised by the 'small town' friendliness and service: I first received a gansey which had no waistband.I sent it back and they promptly made and sent me a new one within a week! Unfortunately I found it a bit too long, almost covering my backside. Fine for the authentic fisherman look, but I wanted something shorter. Sold it on ebay and ordered a new one. I got this one with free shipping, again just a lovely gesture that makes it a pleasure to do business with Peter.

Well, here is the final one, just in time for the cold. I love the way it looks, it has a lovely, natural smell that transports you to the countryside, and the looseness of the knitting makes it breathable and not stuffy at all.

Photoon2012-12-03at11012.jpg

I do think the look ages me a bit. Oh well, studious grampa chic!

Photoon2012-12-03at23333.jpg

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
I actually just realised that they didn't make the waistband as wide as I asked, which explains why it doesn't look quite how I wanted it to.
I wanted the short-(but not too short) vintage look with the wide waistband, but the way it's turned out I think it might look just a bit frumpy on me. MaybeI could shrink the body a bit. What do you think?

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I think the sweater looks good, I don't think this type of sweater should be to fitting, more of a casual "I did didn't put this on to impress any one kind of look" which I think yours definitley has.. Wear it well

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Just had an email from Peter at Sou'west about getting a roll-neck sweater - what an excellent chap! I'll be ordering today, all being well, and will post pictures when it arrives. Thanks all for posting about these.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Just had an email from Peter at Sou'west about getting a roll-neck sweater - what an excellent chap! I'll be ordering today, all being well, and will post pictures when it arrives. Thanks all for posting about these.

Good Morning, I bought a crew neck and a roll neck sweater from Peter at Sou'west last year, I am very pleased with them both indeed. Hope you like yours when it arrives.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I actually just realised that they didn't make the waistband as wide as I asked, which explains why it doesn't look quite how I wanted it to.
I wanted the short-(but not too short) vintage look with the wide waistband, but the way it's turned out I think it might look just a bit frumpy on me. MaybeI could shrink the body a bit. What do you think?

I think it looks splendid on you as it is. Chunkies shouldn't be too tight-fitting. May I ask the full title and author of the Futurism book you're reading. Is it the standard Thames and Hudson 'World of Art' one? I have a pair of corduroys identical to yours, of course, and today I am wearing them with an RAF Blue crew neck 'woolly pully' sweater.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I think it looks splendid on you as it is. Chunkies shouldn't be too tight-fitting. May I ask the full title and author of the Futurism book you're reading. Is it the standard Thames and Hudson 'World of Art' one? I have a pair of corduroys identical to yours, of course, and today I am wearing them with an RAF Blue crew neck 'woolly pully' sweater.

That sounds very smart. Rgds.

Maguire

Practically Family
I have three aran sweaters at home, they are itchy if worn without a button up/long sleeve shirt underneath but they are the warmest thing one can imagine. They do have a rustic look but still are far nicer than any of the clothing trends popular now. i'll post pictures of what i do have when im on my PC.

Metatron

One Too Many

Cheers Ticklish chap, I have found that the more I wear it the more I like it. It definitely needs to be broken in, whereupon it's starts to follow the contours of your body. This is what makes the 'coarser' fabrics a joy to wear!

I think that's 'my' Futurist book: Thames and Hudson, written by Caroline Tisdall & Angelo Bozzolla. Apart from the art itself, Futurist manifestos and publicity activities seem like something conceived by Monty Python. Very Entertaining. Just finished my dissertation on them.

Last edited:

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Cheers Ticklish chap, I have found that the more I wear it the more I like it. It definitely needs to be broken in, whereupon it's starts to follow the contours of your body. This is what makes the 'coarser' fabrics a joy to wear!

I think that's 'my' Futurist book: Thames and Hudson, written by Caroline Tisdall & Angelo Bozzolla. Apart from the art itself, Futurist manifestos and publicity activities seem like something conceived by Monty Python. Very Entertaining. Just finished my dissertation on them.

Yes, I have the Bozzola and Tisdall book. I saw quite a lot of Futurist art in Milan last month and know the Estorick collection well. The Fondation Maeght is well worth a visit, near Nice. Agree with you about the 'Monty Python' quality of Futurism, but Marinetti was a nasty piece of work. I am interested in that period of art, but Cubism appeals more. Where are you doing your dissertation? Good luck.

Fishermen's sweaters do, from my experience, need breaking in, as does any good quality wool sweater. Rewarding once it happens.

Maguire

Practically Family

Are you referring to the futurism of Filippo Marinetti? If so i'm a big fan as well, as far as the more modern art movements go, futurism had a zest and the sand to just go all out in an explosive fashion.

Eckharti, i've found the the best places are either online (ebay) or irish tourist shop/irish gift shops. If you've got an irish community, or area known as a historical irish place, chances are there will be at least one irish shop with them. If not most major chains do sell watered down varieties if you aren't a stickler for the real mccoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran