Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grandpas original B-2 Flight Jacket

elbow392

New in Town
Greetings, I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine, and wahat a cool forum! I am trying to research an old bomber jacket that was handed down to me. It is a Winter Flying Jacket Type B-2, Contract no. W-535 AC-4665, Dwg. No. 31-2412, Werber Leather Coat, Beacon NY. The front pocket is missing, and from what I found this is normal, they were all removed. Also I found that it was only made from 1931-1933, and examples quite rare. Any info on this jacket is appreciated. I wish this jacket could talk! Thanks for allowing me to post here, again what a cool site!

Welcome! You've come to the right place. But I must ask you to PLEASE post some pics here! You'll find that it not only helps, but we love pics of all the goodies! It makes for a complete and enjoyable experience for all.
Hope to follow this thread as it moves along...

Greetings, I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine, and wahat a cool forum! I am trying to research an old bomber jacket that was handed down to me. It is a Winter Flying Jacket Type B-2, Contract no. W-535 AC-4665, Dwg. No. 31-2412, Werber Leather Coat, Beacon NY. The front pocket is missing, and from what I found this is normal, they were all removed. Also I found that it was only made from 1931-1933, and examples quite rare. Any info on this jacket is appreciated. I wish this jacket could talk! Thanks for allowing me to post here, again what a cool site!

elbow392

New in Town
I believe because I am a new user, I am not allowed to post attachments yet. As soon as I can I will. I can't wait to hear from the experts!

D

Deleted member 16736

You are one lucky (and loved) grandson. The B-2 is sort of the holy grail of flight jackets. Everybody thinks they're cool, but nobody has actually seen one. Very rare, as you say, and very beautiful (if you can believe the reproductions). I may be wrong, but your B-2 jacket may be the first original B-2 posted on the forum.

D

Deleted member 16736

You should get in touch with John Chapman of Goodwear Leather. John can restore the jacket to its original glory and also reproduce the jacket for all of us to enjoy. I know I've been looking for a great B-2 reproduction for some time. His web address is www.goodwearleather.com.

elbow392

New in Town
Wow, now I am extremely excited to hear more. My grandparent is not directly attached to this jacket, although he was in WWII. My grandad bought war relics from other vets he worked with, he worked in Flint for GM as many WWII vets did. I will take a bunch of pictures, if it's that rare maybe they will be good reference for all of you. Thanks

elbow392

New in Town
It never really crossed my mind to have it restored. The hide is in nice shape and still plyable, the pockets have been removed, and there are some "stitch" holes from patches. All the zippers seem to work, and I believe are original. The only damage is a patch of neck wool about 1" x 1" that is missing, and the end of the inside sleeves have some wear. Overall I would say it's in pretty nice condition, especially if it were made in the early 1930's. Thanks to everyone for your replies!

elbow392

New in Town
Just sent them to a member to post for me. Does anyone know how I can post pics, or expedite my permission to do so?

D

Deleted member 16736

Okay, you don't have to get it restored, just send it to John so I can buy one!

elbow392

New in Town
I know what you mean, I would love to have a reproduction! I wish this one was me size so I could at least try it on, it's way too small for me.

D

Deleted member 16736

The B-2 was designed by Leroy Irvin of "The Irvin" jacket fame. Sort of like a forgotten masterpiece. Quite a lineage.

elbow392

New in Town
I just looked up Leroy Irvin, and how Aviation Leathercraft owns the name now. I did not see a reproduction of this particular model. Thanks for the info, it's very exciting learning about this, I appreciate everyones input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran