Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grandpas original B-2 Flight Jacket

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Any tips on how I should store this piece? Acid free box, cedar, etc? Thanks everybody!

If you take and lay it flat in a dresser drawer or trunk do so, don't leave it on a hanger as over time the hanger can cause stress on the shoulders of the jacket and damage it.

Edward

Bartender
The BR Repro is very nice. I'd love one, but they're out of the price range with which I would be comfortable. Normal price is around GBP850, if memory serves. Good price reduction in the one linked to above, but they don't have my size (probably a good thing, given current financial situation!). I'd keep the pocket on, personally (not least as it's the only pocket on one of those jackets, I believe?), but yes, if you want to be fully accurate, I believe all surviving examples of originals had the pockets removed. As I recall, the pocket's placement caused it to foul on an airman's (parachute?) harness at that time. I remember Joh Lever mentioned a few months ago that Aero were threatening to do a B1 and/or B2 - I wish they would. It seems to me that Aero would be well placed to make an outstanding B2.

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm sure those pictures can suffice for a rough appraisal. I would leave the jacket right where it is. Maybe one of the experts here can chime in. My guess was $2000, but I'm not an expert.

elbow392

New in Town
I looked around a bit on the net, and all I can find are A-2's, a nice one with painting, patches, and provinance, sells around the 2 grand mark. I can't find any B-2's to compare, the only bits on B-2 jackets are pertaining to reproductions, I can't find any past sales. I wonder how many of these examples actually exist today?

I'm sure those pictures can suffice for a rough appraisal. I would leave the jacket right where it is. Maybe one of the experts here can chime in. My guess was $2000, but I'm not an expert.

Given I've never seen another one let alone one in that shape, I'd wager much higher myself. I'm no expert for sure.

John Lever

One Too Many
The BR Repro is very nice. I'd love one, but they're out of the price range with which I would be comfortable. Normal price is around GBP850, if memory serves. Good price reduction in the one linked to above, but they don't have my size (probably a good thing, given current financial situation!). I'd keep the pocket on, personally (not least as it's the only pocket on one of those jackets, I believe?), but yes, if you want to be fully accurate, I believe all surviving examples of originals had the pockets removed. As I recall, the pocket's placement caused it to foul on an airman's (parachute?) harness at that time. I remember Joh Lever mentioned a few months ago that Aero were threatening to do a B1 and/or B2 - I wish they would. It seems to me that Aero would be well placed to make an outstanding B2.
I finally gave up the project as progress became Glacial.

elbow392

New in Town
Should I repost this on TFL, or is there a "tech archive" type forum here, I could post more pictures? I hope all of this is resourceful, and informative, hopefully this post will help somebody else with one of these jackets!

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
my two cents would be to send pics to Amanda at Aero and just see what she or the xperts at Aero have to say...

D

Deleted member 16736

I think you should contact the Smithsonian and ask them what they think it's worth and how to best preserve it. And there's always the Antiques Roadshow.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
If you haven't, I would try the US Militaria Forum - www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums. I'm a member over there and there are quite a lot of very knowledgeable collectors and dealers. I think you'd be able to get some more comprehensive information and possibly a better idea of the value by posting it there.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
This needs a bump up the list again.

It's gotta be worth around $3,000 or higher. Certainly not less. Got to be worth at least twice any repro out there. Be interesting to see what John Chapman would think it would cost him to repro it and then at least double that.

You're bound to get a few pm's offering to take it off your hands for a fraction of that price by saying it's not really that rare or it losts its' value when the pocket were removed and badge stitch holes but don't be fooled.

That is a real keeper and not one of the 'keepers' that others talk of and then sell 6 months down the line !! ;-)

Look after it !!

Dave

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
193201Stitch-Copy.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members