Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grandpas original B-2 Flight Jacket

D

Deleted member 16736

Irvin designed the B-2, but he didn't keep the rights to it. I believe it was done under an army contract. But I am far, far, far from an expert on the subject. Hopefully, one of the Irvin experts will chime in here.

elbow392

New in Town
It sounds like they were subcontracted to US makers, ie: Werber. Also I found they were made of horse hide, and the liner was a combination of wool and silk, and that's what it feels like. If anyone can help with getting pics up, I would greatly appreciate it. You really have to see it.

elbow392

New in Town
Help ORIGINAL B-2 Flight Jacket Found

Hello everyone, I posted earlier on an original B-2 jacket that was handed down to me. The post was titled "grandpas B-2 Jacket". I would love to post some pics for everone to see, I am new to posting on a forum such as this. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I know there are some members waiting to see it. I must say as a new user everone has been extremely helpfull! Thanks again

Here's the prior post:
Greetings, I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine, and wahat a cool forum! I am trying to research an old bomber jacket that was handed down to me. It is a Winter Flying Jacket Type B-2, Contract no. W-535 AC-4665, Dwg. No. 31-2412, Werber Leather Coat, Beacon NY. The front pocket is missing, and from what I found this is normal, they were all removed. Also I found that it was only made from 1931-1933, and examples quite rare. Any info on this jacket is appreciated. I wish this jacket could talk! Thanks for allowing me to post here, again what a cool site!

elbow392

New in Town
I am anxiously awaiting the photos also. I will be watching for the next few hours, if there are any questions. I had no idea the jacket was this important. Thanks

D

Deleted member 16736

I can see the jacket in your profile, but not on the thread.

Patience fellas...I have a bit of a life goin' on!

5996059147_2e7950a316_b.jpg

5996059137_11389bb72e_b.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Wow. Desperately in need of some Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing, however. Gorgeous. I need one. Tonight. Heck, it's even my size.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16736

If the back is as good as the front, this is a $2000+ jacket. Somebody tell the Smithsonian to send a team over.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16736

Dont put anything on it. It made it this long and looks just fine.

Although I was speaking tongue in cheek, I do think consulting a professional is a good idea. I'm sure John will get back to you shortly. He's very helpful. He'll know what to do. But yes, for right now, do nothing except gather information, which you are wisely doing.

elbow392

New in Town
I heard back from John tonight, He was very helpful. It doesn'nt sound like he would be reproducing any time soon. He said the zippers alone would be a fortune to reproduce correctly, I guess they are unique in size and construction. It is a standard Army Air Corps build based on the B-1, but with a different liner.
Thanks to everyone for your help, I hope to learn even more, and I will keep updating here as well!

Although I was speaking tongue in cheek, I do think consulting a professional is a good idea. I'm sure John will get back to you shortly. He's very helpful. He'll know what to do. But yes, for right now, do nothing except gather information, which you are wisely doing.

I just didn't want a new member to do anything that would possibly hurt the garment or it's value. No harm, just want that treasure to continue having a good life!

I heard back from John tonight, He was very helpful. It doesn'nt sound like he would be reproducing any time soon. He said the zippers alone would be a fortune to reproduce correctly, I guess they are unique in size and construction. It is a standard Army Air Corps build based on the B-1, but with a different liner.
Thanks to everyone for your help, I hope to learn even more, and I will keep updating here as well!

If you take any more pics - and I'm sure we'd all love more, please send 'em off. Happy to post them.

elbow392

New in Town
I am not going to do anything to it untill I have an expert look at it. To me the wear and petina just help the jacket, I would hate to do anything to damage it. Some things are just better left to the experts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic