Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Guys) What's in your wallet...I mean pockets

Frykitty

Familiar Face
Nothing vintage in my pockets, currently:
back left-cell phone
back right- wallet (empty)
front left- keys and change
front right- nothing
on my belt- leatherman

the leatherman has become just as important as my wallet. maybe more.

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
Why the mohaskas? As I'm reading through this and several other threads here, I'm finding that a lot of Loungers are packing heat.

What's the deal with that? Do you guys really get that much guff for wearing a fedora?

Edward

Bartender
BlindeMan said:
The Oyster card is a form of electronic ticketing used on public transport services within the Greater London area of the United Kingdom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_card
424px-Oyster_front.svg.png

Thank, BM - yes, Carebear, that's it. Basically, it's the easiest, most convenient way of having a season ticket, or pay as you go, (or mix of both) for London public transport. The long term aim seems to be eventually to make these the sole ticketing option for the whole system. Very convenient, even if they drive the hardcore privacy activists nuts.

Randal

Familiar Face
At work:
Left shirt pocket: Pen & note pad
Left pants pocket: Knife, chap stick, soap stone (for marking on metal)
Right pants pocket: Pocket watch
Left back pocket: wallet
Right back pocket: hanky or rag
Belt loop: Work keys (& sometimes a 2 way radio)

Not at work:
Left pants pocket: cell phone, chap stick (sometimes 2 dice)
Right pants pocket: pocket watch
Left back pocket: wallet
Right back pocket: hanky
Belt loop: Car keys

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BlindeMan said:
Why the mohaskas? As I'm reading through this and several other threads here, I'm finding that a lot of Loungers are packing heat.

What's the deal with that? Do you guys really get that much guff for wearing a fedora?

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I don't expect to have to blow my nose every day (or help a lady with a makeup problem for that matter), but I carry a hanky with me all the time just in case.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
Without jacket:

Front left: cell phone, change
Right front: keys, ink pen, flash drive
Back left: wallet
Back right: nothing

With a jacket the wallet goes in left inside pocket and cell phone goes in right inside pocket. I don't like putting things in outside jacket pockets. I think it makes the jacket hang wrong.

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
carebear said:
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I don't expect to have to blow my nose every day (or help a lady with a makeup problem for that matter), but I carry a hanky with me all the time just in case.

Whilst crafting a reponse to your post I was looking up the violent crime statistics for the State of Alaska and... um... You may want to carry two handguns.

Let me clarify my question in an overly long explanation:

Perhaps I've been hanging around the wrong people all my life, but the idea of carrying a firearm is fairly foreign to me. I was born and raised in Oregon and have lived in Ohio for the last 8 years. I had one uncle who lived in Eastern Oregon who wore a revolver with shotshells to 'discourage' (i.e. disassemble) rattlesnakes. He's the only person in my experience who carried routinely.

The % of adults who have a License to Carry in Oregon is 3.86%, in Ohio it's 0.38%. As you know, carebear, Alaska can't keep this type of statistic. The % of Loungers who have posted in this thread that they carry is significantly higher.

So my question was not so much, "Why (do you carry) the mohaska?" But rather, "Why (do so many Loungers as compared to the general population carry) the mohaska?"

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Keep in mind the population, per capita numbers skew a bit when you are only dealing with 600,000 people. Aside from that, like everywhere else, studies in Alaska show us that violent crime concentrates among documented criminals and their associates; folks without involvement or associations within those groups being affected by it are comparatively rare (and thus newsworthy).

In any event, this is one topic that falls outside of the Lounge's stated mission, especially in this particular thread. Though yours is an interesting question of demographics that probably reflects broader trends.

However...

The management and those of us who do have an interest in the subject have an understanding where firearms are concerned. When they are discussed or even mentioned we keep the conversation on the objects themselves and avoid discussing the politics, methodology and philosophical questions surrounding them.

It maintains the FL on point and prevents acrimony. Trust me, we've seen enough of that in the past.

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
If I asked in this thread why so many Loungers carry a pocket knife, a pipe or a handkerchief (also pocketable items - also very much on topic) as compared to the population at large I doubt very much that you would be turning it into a special case by claiming that it falls into the realm of forbidden discussion:

"The management and those of us who do have an interest in the subject have an understanding where portable blades are concerned."
or
"The management and those of us who do have an interest in the subject have an understanding where tobacco paraphenalia is concerned."
or
"The management and those of us who do have an interest in the subject have an understanding where personal hygiene cloths are concerned."

Ah well. You have been here longer and no doubt know better than I do in Loungish matters - moving on.

Shirt
Portside chest: cellphone, pen
Starboard chest: cellphone, flashlight

Slacks
Portside forward: keys, bus-pass
Starboard forward: wallet
Waistband, optional: M1911A1 .45

Coat
Portside: miscellaneous receipts, papers, change
Starboard: 1/4" of napkins (like a handkerchief, but expendable)
Inside: passport (so I don't misplace it), arms-collectors association ID badge, small sewing kit, single round of Federal P45HST2 230-grain .45ACP HST jacketed hollowpoint

Laptop Case (included due to never leaving my hand or side)
Front compartment: cable-lock, power and network cables, flash drives, USB hubs, change, reading-light, ibuprofen, decongestants, spare battery, mouse
Main compartment: laptop, USB colling pad/hub, external speakers, power cord, outlet splitter, 6' extension cord, Burn Notice Season 1 DVD set, inflatable neck-pillow
Rear compartment: CD sleeves, engineering drawings, copies of Ludlum's Bourne Trilogy, 500GB external hard-drive

Still figuring out
2-3 spare magazines

You asked...

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
Back Pockets

Maybe I'm wearing the wrong pants, but when I sit down, items in the forward pockets tend to fall out.

I keep my keys in 'starboard forward' because:
1) When I am sitting in the car the keys are easier to get to from a front pocket and the ignition is to starboard.
2) If they fall out the jangling of my innumerable keys tends to advertise that fact.

I keep my wallet in 'portside aft' because:
1) The wallet doesn't fall out of that pocket as it would the front. Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't make a resounding 'thud' when it lands, which would alert me to its loss.
2) If I'm using my wallet it's usually to dip into my cash, which I typically do while standing.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Left front Currency in clip. Always $2 bills for hat checks. '23 peace dollar
Right front Puma bantam penknife, cigar punch, eyeglass cloth and Nitro.
Left back Driver license, credit card, employee ID, AAA ID and
a smartcard for the parking meter when in town.
Right back Hav-a-Hank

Abyss

Familiar Face
Keys, Cellphone, and pocket knife (when I remember) in the front right pocket.
A guitar pick or two often finds its way into the watch pocket.
My wallet houses itself in my front left pocket, cleverly disguised as a tin of mints, specifically Penguin Mints. The tin is the perfect size to securely hold my debit card, driver's license, any business cards I have picked up, spare keys, some cash, and it always smells fresh!

I'll probably be adding a handkerchief soon (based on reading this and the handkerchief thread), and when I turn twenty one I'll also probably add to somewhere a concealed Makarov pistol (unfortunately too large to fit into a mint tin).

No watches other than my phone at the moment, because mine is broken and I have been unable to find another acceptable pocket watch at a price affordable to a poor college student. :(

Randy

Familiar Face
Keys on one side and money clip on the other up front. In back, a thin, leather wallet on one side, and a comb and handkerchief on the other. No cell phone, ever, but I am looking for a solid, dependable, nice looking, no frills pocket knife. The only watches I've ever cared for are pocket watches, but mine is down for the count at the moment (modern), so I'm shopping for a vintage model to replace it (far more reliable), so the watch pocket is empty at the moment...

- Randy

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Burn Notice Season 1 DVD set

Ha Ha Ha I DVRed all of them ... my all time favorite show ... getting into Leverage now too

this is what I carry

iPhone 3G .. Etymotics hf2 .. Leatherman Wave .. SureFire Executive II .. Gerber Emerson clip knife .. Wayfarers .. Wallet with ID, Money, Debit & C Cards, Metrocard, ect., keys

If I'm working on a project for work & need to carry my saddle bag & sometimes a luggage carrier

Sony F828 .. Mac .. extra batteries .. flash .. infrared flash .. light meter .. filters .. tripod .. remote shutter release .. cheaters .. appointment book .. pen .. tic-tacs .. book I'm currently reading

----------------
Now playing: Collective Soul - General Attitude
via FoxyTunes

Bert

New in Town
Hello out there

Well, I always carry in my pockets or in my bags enough stuffs to build a new civilisation in case of cataclysm.
In the pockets of my denims / jacket : Cellphone, Wallet with papers, change, Swisscard and IDs / USB 8gigas key, Spyderco knife, a pocket comb, appartment keys with lace and a whistle.
In my backpack : a smaller bag (!!!), Ray bans, my Hard drive, pen and notepad, tons of medecine samples against head/back/bellyhacke, a Victorinox Hercules, a pocket umbrella, an empty can of hair grease with 2/3 differents samples of pomade inside ; when it's hot, I always carry a rolled new and fresh Tshirt in a plastic bag in the bottom of my backpack (in case of intempestive sweating)...
It's know quite known, where I live, that I always have on me anything that people can need. So I'm like a walking emergency rescue service. That's quite funny.

Regards from Bordeaux, Bert.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"Handkerchief"...my hanky is a couple of paper towels folded up in my back pocket.

The pistol...well, sometimes bad things happen. Bad people are everywhere, and sometimes they act up. Best to be prepared should the need arise. Particularly when you have to be in more crime-prone areas.

In some of the more conservative areas of the country (south, midwest, west...basically everywhere but the two coasts!) being armed is just a matter of course. It's a right we choose to exercise. The most basic one. Guns are everywhere, and no one here is upset about it....except for criminals! Maybe that's why we don't have quite as many...;) If I were to guess, I'd say at least 40% of the cars/trucks in this area have a gun of some kind in them right now. The percentage would be higher for just trucks.

My grandfather never went ANYWHERE without a pistol in his pocket. Usually a little Colt Jr. 25 auto. It was needed on occasion, too. He was also a sheriff's deputy in the '70's when I was a kid, and he carried a leather sap in his pocket, which he would let me play with. How's that for classic? I'd kind of like one myself...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred