Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Wow, ya'll are killing me with the hats and drinks here, outstanding choices in both.
BTW Jeff, Laphroig is good, Talisker is better (in my book anyway).
Jack, definitely agree, Grisman is a killer mandolinist, and that Walden is a gem.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
bfec29c702d583403e81921c2d4ac649.jpg

What? There's a hat in the picture, right?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9515 met Tapatalk
I had a couple of Leffes while in Belgium. Very tasty!

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kind comments, and Hurricane, that stove in the truck sounds like a keen idea!

Off topic, but why is coffee called Joe in USA?
I've heard that it was mocking a Navy official who was responsible for banning alcohol. Though I've also read that that story is false, and it falls the theory that it was the average man's drink, that is to say the "average joe's cup" and so, "cup of joe." Rather like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know.

Thanks for the kind comments, and Hurricane, that stove in the truck sounds like a keen idea!

I've heard that it was mocking a Navy official who was responsible for banning alcohol. Though I've also read that that story is false, and it falls the theory that it was the average man's drink, that is to say the "average joe's cup" and so, "cup of joe." Rather like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know.

From Wiki:

Etymology[edit]
Of uncertain origin.

• Possibly a shortening of "cup of jamoke", from java + mocha: this origin was given in a military officer's manual from 1931, around when the term first appeared.
  • Alternatively, perhaps a use of joe ‎(“fellow, guy”), signifying that coffee was the drink of the common man.
  • Another theory suggests that US soldiers in World War I (1914-1918) referred to a serving of instant coffee made by the G. Washington Coffee Refining Company (founded in 1910) as a "cup of George", and that the common abbreviation of the name "George" ("Geo.") was then read as "Joe".
  • Another theory derives the term from Josephus Daniels (1862-1948), the Secretary of the U.S. Navy who abolished the officers' wine mess and thus made coffee the strongest drink available on ships. Snopes considers this is unlikely because it says there is no attestation of the phrase "cup of joe" until 1930, 16 years after the 1914 order banning the wine mess. Confusingly, some other sources consider the Daniels derivation unlikely for the opposite reason: they say "cup of joe" predates the order.
As far as Tootsie Pops, everybody knows the answer is "Three."

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
From Wiki:

Etymology[edit]
Of uncertain origin.

• Possibly a shortening of "cup of jamoke", from java + mocha: this origin was given in a military officer's manual from 1931, around when the term first appeared.
  • Alternatively, perhaps a use of joe ‎(“fellow, guy”), signifying that coffee was the drink of the common man.
  • Another theory suggests that US soldiers in World War I (1914-1918) referred to a serving of instant coffee made by the G. Washington Coffee Refining Company (founded in 1910) as a "cup of George", and that the common abbreviation of the name "George" ("Geo.") was then read as "Joe".
  • Another theory derives the term from Josephus Daniels (1862-1948), the Secretary of the U.S. Navy who abolished the officers' wine mess and thus made coffee the strongest drink available on ships. Snopes considers this is unlikely because it says there is no attestation of the phrase "cup of joe" until 1930, 16 years after the 1914 order banning the wine mess. Confusingly, some other sources consider the Daniels derivation unlikely for the opposite reason: they say "cup of joe" predates the order.
As far as Tootsie Pops, everybody knows the answer is "Three."

Jamoke, Mook and Mamone. 3 of my neighborhood buddies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran