Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween or Shinki- Whose horse is your pick?

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Speaking of JC's great works, his jackets made of premium italian HH look even better than Shinki ones to my taste. Though, Shinki's are very nice too.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Moving on to Italian FQHH my chocolate brown Thedi is certainly not thin leather but feels light and oh so soft, just getting softer with each wear. Don’t know but I would guess that it is vegetable tanned analline. The grain doesn’t pop like other FQHH but I think this leather is luscious.
061d483ffe5219fdf9b5d22424ea128b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are spectacular looking jackets made out of Shinki, Italian HH and Horween HH. There are also abominations made out of all three leathers. The key variable is the skill and precision of the manufacturer.

Keep in mind that we are discussing the Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini of repro jacket leathers. Personal preferences aside, all are stellar. In the hands of the right artisan, all three leathers can be crafted into a masterpiece.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Super's absolutely right. I've seen some beautiful leather being used in the worst possible way - usually on the SB sale pages. Even a leather that might be judged as being a bit flat and average by Lounge standards can be transformed with sympathetic cut, construction and a bit of wear.

Blackadder

I thought so too, but then this just was released...
http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=134351684
The Few appears to still be around and run by the Japanese now. Someone has to be making this new Mushmans jacket.
I guess the Japanese owner closed the NZ shop and returned to Japan. I think he took a pretty big hit owing to the yen devaluation but then he has the money to buy and restore a Zeke.

Blackadder

^wow, the bees knees. Any updated wear pics?
You mean the Few? I broke one of the snap on the lapel last winter when I took it out of storage, my fd fixed it for me but then it became too warm to wear the jacket. With the climate here, I only get to wear leather jackets in the winter.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I guess the Japanese owner closed the NZ shop and returned to Japan. I think he took a pretty big hit owing to the yen devaluation but then he has the money to buy and restore a Zeke.
I'm glad they're still around. I'm going to be looking for them in Japan.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I own several jackets in shinki, one in horween cxl and one in vicenza, and the cxl is the only one I feel OK about wearing out on a rainy day. And I live in Seattle, the rain capital of the USA LOL. That said, I prefer the shinki for the look, weight, and feel

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Some days I prefer Shinki and other days I prefer CXL, they're very different horses, it will depend on my mood when I wake up in the morning. This whole past week, it has been all tech clothing... No leather

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy