Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hotsticks styling question

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Thanks Ladies :)

So, I tried again with the setting lotion and papers. I washed and dried with a little mousse, sectioned, spritzed the end with lotion and rolled with all purples. I left them in an hour and a half to let the setting lotion dry but to no avail! I took one out and it was still damp. I knew I was running low on time so I threw on a drying bonnet for 1/2 an hour and hoped for the best...Some pieces were still a little damp but I had to be to school for a big test so I threw the top up in rolls and curled the one section that had the damp ends. All in all, it came out pretty good. I didn't use any wax this time and it was a tad frizzy by the end of the day but I still got lots of compliments. I figure it's better to experiment now than wait for some event and screw it up then :D
IMG_3571.jpg
Eek sorry the pic is so big (and my weird faux smile!) Needed lippie...

roots66

One of the Regulars
64tonya said:
So, I tried again with the setting lotion and papers. I washed and dried with a little mousse, sectioned, spritzed the end with lotion and rolled with all purples. I left them in an hour and a half to let the setting lotion dry but to no avail! I took one out and it was still damp.

Looking good, Tonya! There's another, earlier Hot Sticks or hot rollers thread somewhere in this forum, in which former member/hair and makeup guru Jitterbugdoll advised to take care not to saturate the hair with the lotion...I think she recommended spraying it a few times into your hands and then gently patting/stroking/combing it through.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
roots66 said:
64tonya said:
So, I tried again with the setting lotion and papers. I washed and dried with a little mousse, sectioned, spritzed the end with lotion and rolled with all purples. I left them in an hour and a half to let the setting lotion dry but to no avail! I took one out and it was still damp.

Looking good, Tonya! There's another, earlier Hot Sticks or hot rollers thread somewhere in this forum, in which former member/hair and makeup guru Jitterbugdoll advised to take care not to saturate the hair with the lotion...I think she recommended spraying it a few times into your hands and then gently patting/stroking/combing it through.
Thanks roots66, I'll have too keep looking through the tips from all the pros on the FL. That's a good one :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
I wouldn't use setting lotion with hot products. I find, under advice from Nina that hairspray sprayed on each section works a lot better.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:
I wouldn't use setting lotion with hot products. I find, under advice from Nina that hairspray sprayed on each section works a lot better.
Thanks Smutarella, I need to look for a good hairspray before I try again. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere...

roots66

One of the Regulars
Smuterella said:

I've only ever used hairspray or heat setting spray with hot rollers too--my hair being what it is, I'm afraid the teensy-weensy amount of s.l. that was recommended in heated circumstances wouldn't give enough hold--but other gals upthread and elsewhere reported good results with the s.l....

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Audrey Horne said:
Pretty! I love the cherry earrings too!
Thanks! :D My favorite earrings too! A lady takes old lucite beads and makes jewelry with them at very reasonable prices. I got them on ebay :)

swinggal

One Too Many
Has anyone tried the Vidal Sasoon Hot sticks? I'm guessing they are all made in the same place as Babyliss etc with different logos.

Was just wondering if anyone could tell me if they were ok?

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I use hairspray also. A good one to try is the Frizz-ez humidity spray.
The downfall is that it can create helmet head. Use sparingly and you will have to wash it out, the next day. I like to use it, when I straighten my hair and go dancing and when I flip my ends under (40s thing). As long as no one touches it and feels how hard it is, it's all good. ;)

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
I got my hotsticks and am going to try them out this weekend.

Based on your tips should I use my Redken Thermal sets spray on each section for hold since I have fine hair?

Thanks for any tips!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Finally bought some hotsticks the other day at Target. For some reason the local beauty store didn't have them. Actually, the lady that owned the store that was manning the register, didn't even know what I was talking about. But somehow she's able to run/own a beauty store? That one confuses the H*ll out of me! But I finally tried them for the first time today.

They turned out great. The key is to keep brushing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy