Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hahaha, don't worry. That's just typical.
I've actually saw one sleeping on his chair once...
People from Antwerp can be rather weird in their reactions, we have the worst reputation...
I can see why :D

Hey! He was wearing some killer shoes that day! :)

Ah yes, Emmanuel gets the moustache comment often.
He can be wearing a 3 piece suit and a hat and people always comment on the moustache.
A girl once came up to him at a concert and tried to pull on it to see if it was real...
Nowadays they are more accepting since the whole hipster moustache rage thing though.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

yeah ... the whole "hipster" thing ... I often get mistakenly tangled in that web ... even though I've had my beard longer than half of these kids have been alive or at least since they were in Pampers ... doesn't bother me though

EstherWeis

Vendor
Ah yes, he agrees with you on that.
Never bothered him much either. He can just find it amusing from time to time.
It also helps that he doesn't really dress in the " hipster way"

Eh, you're too cool with the hats and the beard anyway...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

LeonardoDiSilvestre

New in Town
As much as I like a good hat it just isn't something worn much nowadays. Wearing a hat makes you stand out most of the time. In the Internet I've seen a very aggressive anti-fedora stance and a lot of stereotyping on anyone that wears a hat, especially on us younger men.

I haven't had any negative remarks thrown my way, but a family member told me that I was getting some looks when we went to Walmart after church on a Sunday. My friends usually say I dress like the Godfather, I mostly wear chinos with sportcoats, and I've gotten called a pachuco too. All in good fun, never really had any negative reaction from anyone. My Grandfather says my hats suit me and he wears western hats from time to time. What I read on the Internet gets to me sometimes and I become self-consensus about my hat but I still wear 'em because I like it and the weather here sometimes demands it.

Honestly folks these days just dont know good old fashioned style. A good Fedora is about as classy as you can get, forget what other people think, Fedora's will always have there place. Good style is timeless

LeonardoDiSilvestre

New in Town
I always get reactions when I'm out but I also wear a suit with a hat so I guess I stand out , but the funny thing is I've
never gotten a negative reaction ,instead I always get kodo's and most of the time its from the ladies :) .

The bottom line here is life is short so do what makes you happy ,as in my case being welled heeled is what does it for
me among other things in life.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank
Here here, never a truer word written. Wise words indeed :)

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
My wife and Inwere entering a restaraunt at the same time another party ( of four) were entering from another direction. The two parties got mixed. A man in the other party and I were both holding the opposite doors open. After a moment of awkwardness, the other gentleman offered fo me and my wife to proceed ahead of their party. He said, you go ahead, brother, just leave me the hat if you don't mind!" I was wearing a tan Stetson 100 that I reworked into a fedora. Get lots of good comments on my hats.

my hat mostly plays second fiddle to my beard as far as what folks seem to notice and comment on

I could be wearing a jester hat on fire and cats would still say ... "hey great beard dude"

it gets old... but a simple thank you usually follows ... unless they have a beard as well ... then I usually say ... you as well
Same here Moon. During Dec every yr if I go out & don't wear a hat I get all the Santa Claus comments. If I wear a fedora I don't get a single Santa comment because they all think I'm a rabbi. If I wear a western cowboy hat it just confuses the hell out of them.

RJR

Same here Moon. During Dec every yr if I go out & don't wear a hat I get all the Santa Claus comments. If I wear a fedora I don't get a single Santa comment because they all think I'm a rabbi. If I wear a western cowboy hat it just confuses the hell out of them.
Love it :D .

Chillin

New in Town
As much as I like a good hat it just isn't something worn much nowadays. Wearing a hat makes you stand out most of the time. In the Internet I've seen a very aggressive anti-fedora stance and a lot of stereotyping on anyone that wears a hat, especially on us younger men.

I haven't had any negative remarks thrown my way, but a family member told me that I was getting some looks when we went to Walmart after church on a Sunday. My friends usually say I dress like the Godfather, I mostly wear chinos with sportcoats, and I've gotten called a pachuco too. All in good fun, never really had any negative reaction from anyone. My Grandfather says my hats suit me and he wears western hats from time to time. What I read on the Internet gets to me sometimes and I become self-consensus about my hat but I still wear 'em because I like it and the weather here sometimes demands it.

Keep rocking the hat dude. Whenever I get an odd look I just think that they're jealous that they don't have a nice hat like me. Plus it's a talking point for picking up ladies. ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Almost the same with me but my beard is not all white... yet and I only wear western hats.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was up in New Jersey over the holidays I spent a fair amount of time standing out in the cold smoking (yeah, I know). Twice I had someone say to me, "Jeez, that hat must keep your head warm!" What can you say but "Yes, it does."

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I guess I can finally join this thread. I haven't worn hats since the '80s but recently made 2 cloches, one with an enormous flower on the side. People I don't know stare and sometimes smile, though I have seen other ladies wearing more refined cloches. My friends upon seeing them for the first time immediately asked "Did you make that?!? It's so cute!" One friend exclaimed "You look so Downton Abbey!"

I don't expect the attention in winter; lots of ladies wear hats to keep warm. I sometimes wonder how they'd react to a summer hat.

Hal

Practically Family
Twice I had someone say to me, "Jeez, that hat must keep your head warm!" What can you say but "Yes, it does."
So many people today think that clothing is all about fashion statements and never dream that it has a practical function.
For this reason, I think it much easier to wear a hat with an overcoat or raincoat, or a straw hat in summer sunshine, when it should be obvious to all that its wear is functional as well as stylistic. Wearing a hat looks much more like a fashion statement when worn in other circumstances - unfortunate and perhaps deplorable, but that's how it is.

Last edited:

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
This pic isn't mine, but I saw it on a FB feed and thought it was appropriate to share. Wear a hat with attitude and it may change the way people react to you. :)

1cb8a7212a16bb0562c490478093d327.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Early this morning I stopped to get fuel, and a car wash. The transaction did not go as expected at the pump and I had to go inside to get a printed ticket to get a touch less wash. I was wearing my early morning coaches costume (track pants/gym shoes/fleece/jacket) and a fedora. The young girl at the counter handled the young fellow before me with the same issue and then proceeded to apologize to me. More apology, free car wash for future, offer of free pastry/coffee. The young man did not get these offers. She bid adieu, saying a "distinguished man such as myself not be as inconvenienced in todays dreary light snow weather." I felt good - I was, for that instance, apparently distinguished. To truth, my hat was distinguished.

"Distinguished man" no longer feeling distinguished after working with my my teenage athletes this morning, Eric -

I had a very unusual occurrence last evening. I went out alone for Happy Hour & some dinner. I wore my olive green Cavanagh with a brown suede coat & sat at the bar. The coat hung on the back of my chair but I never removed my hat. When I went to pay my tab to leave the bartender walked away & a manager or supervisor (whom I had never seen before) stepped in & told me that my tab had been paid already. I asked by whom & he said something about a couple of Army men, making a motion to the back of the room with his eyes. I was caught off guard & stunned, so I asked him why would they do that? He just shrugged his shoulders, & I thought maybe the manager was comping my tab because I'm a regular there, so I thanked him. He just said he would tell them what I said. So I sat there finishing my drink, stood up & put my coat on then turned around to look to the back of the room. Sure enough there were two Army men eating dinner together. I started to walk back to their table to thank them in person but with a smile and a wave of his hand, one of them acknowledged me and sort of waved me off. So I didn't interrupt their dinner; I just left, still trying to figure this all out.

I'm thinking it was either the hat or the beard they liked or both, or thought I was some homeless guy who couldn't pay his own tab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21