Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

DNO

One Too Many
The other day it was far too windy for a fedora so I left it in the car and donned a basque beret. Went into the store and I felt a light tap on my back. It was a older gentlemen who complimented me for being one of a dying breed, a man who obtains and wears a proper hat. I mentioned that I'd just left my fedora in the car and he said he had as well! I guess he doesn't leave a beret in the back seat for when the wind gets up.

DNO

One Too Many
If you are referring to The Sunday Toronto Antique Market, Oscar, the Bowler, and I, the Homburg, would enjoy meeting you; we seemingly being Denizens of that tented space. Oscar has an interest in all things photographic, past and present and I, of Historic Toronto.

Regards,
J T

Small world! Loved your homburg, and Oscar's bowler. I have one of each but I've never worn them. Love my Whippet, although it's a bit of a beater. Actually, I initially passed you standing alone at the entrance and commented on your hat (ie. "nice hat").

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Wearing my Stetson 100 Open Road in Austin on New Years Eve I got more "awesome hat" comments than I could count. Lots of LBJ comments! There were a lot of fedora wearers at the Willie Nelson concert, and all I saw commented favorably on my hat.

Wearing my Stetson 100 Open Road in Austin on New Years Eve I got more "awesome hat" comments than I could count. Lots of LBJ comments! There were a lot of fedora wearers at the Willie Nelson concert, and all I saw commented favorably on my hat.

No surprise, Rick...!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Walking through the house the other day, on my way out and I heard "is that ANOTHER new hat?" I just quickened my pace to the garage.
I get that comment a good bit from my wife. At least for the Lawson I have coming, she said to order it as my Christmas present as she had hand surgery and could not do any shopping. Best thing is I am getting something I really wanted and will last. I was browsing the Australiangear site and she said why are they so expensive, so I showed her the write up describing briefly the making of a top hat which said it took nearly 6 weeks and 70 steps in the making.

As far as comments about wearing, I do not get a lot. I live in an area where western styles are much more common. My feeling is if you are confident enough to wear one and are comfortable in it, and are not self conscious, most people will not notice or care. I occasionally get some real positive comments, never anything negative, although comments are relatively rare.

In line at the pharmacy this afternoon a gentleman (twenty-something years of age) commented on my whiskey VS.

Starting with "that's a really nice fedora," quickly followed up with "No, that's a really, really, REALLY nice fedora, sir!" He then told me he had a black fedora which he keeps lovingly stored in its original box, and that fedoras were very expensive.

I couldn't thank him enough, and of course I gave him thefedoralounge.com lead. Great comment.

I was showing some of my paintings earlier this evening at a local art event, wearing my best Bing Crosby look, brim up, vintage sportcoat, monstously baggy slacks and untucked Hawaiian shirt, when a group of bears in their finest lumberjack apparel approached me and told me how much they looooooved my hat and the whole look I had going on.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I was showing some of my paintings earlier this evening at a local art event, wearing my best Bing Crosby look, brim up, vintage sportcoat, monstously baggy slacks and untucked Hawaiian shirt, when a group of bears in their finest lumberjack apparel approached me and told me how much they looooooved my hat and the whole look I had going on.

Do you blame them, I would have done the same.

Lotsahats

One Too Many

Oh, the crossroads for so many sub-genres! :D

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Had two comments/compliments this week, both about the same hat. My boss was in my office and happened to glance at my Sixties charcoal Borsalino Savoy. "Is that a new hat?" (I'm known here for my fedoras.)

"Nope," I said, "I've had it for a while. Had it sized up a bit to fit me better and a new ribbon put on."

"Hm. I didn't know you could change the size on a hat. Nice look."

Then, yesterday, at my mechanic shop, the owner's father -- who is about 90, and was in WWII (in fact was about to embark on the invasion of Japan in August of '45) -- commented as I donned my Borsalino: "That's a nice hat. When I was young, everybody wore one just like that. Where'd you get it?"

I told him from the Internet. "But Meyer the Hatter is still downtown. You should go check them out and pick up a fedora or two." Normally he wears a wool driving cap, so he's used to wearing something on his head in the cooler weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran