Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I get compliments on my hats a few times a week, mostly from people about ten years older than I (47 here), women mostly think I remind them of how Dad or Grampa dressed, men often wishing that they had the "nerve" to give a non-ballcap hat a try. I always encourage them to just go for it. :)

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I've been wearing hats for years, so a lot of people are accustomed to seeing me with one. I get looks in other places: train stations, the odd party (I've stopped wearing hats to parties, the uncouth types of party don't have proper cloakroom facilities:rolleyes:).
I'm not much interested if other people have a negative attitude, I wear it for me not for them. On the whole people tend to offer a compliment or say nothing.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I've gotten a lot of genuine compliments lately, men who seem to be interested in wearing a hat and ladies who appreciate it. Bowlers and fedoras alike. I've seen more respectable hats around here recently as well.

However, the other day a female colleague asked to borrow a hat to wear for a piece of chamber music she was going to perform a in a few minutes, and she asked so nonchalantly that I had to tell her I didn't bring any with me today.

You can ask to borrow my wife, or you can steal my horse, but bury me with my hat! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Tonight at a dinner out with the family I was wearing my new Premier Open Road and a older gent dressed in full "biker" gear walked up to me with a tear in his eye and told me how much he loved my hat, as his dad wore one similar to it back in the day. He went on to explain that he was particularly missing him during this holiday season and that seeing me wearing that hat very much reminded him of his dad and was comforting to him in many ways. Of course, me having lost my dad earlier this year and this being my first Christmas without him, I'm feeling quite emotional, so I teared up quite a bit as well. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Tonight at a dinner out with the family I was wearing my new Premier Open Road and a older gent dressed in full "biker" gear walked up to me with a tear in his eye and told me how much he loved my hat, as his dad wore one similar to it back in the day. He went on to explain that he was particularly missing him during this holiday season and that seeing me wearing that hat very much reminded him of his dad and was comforting to him in many ways. Of course, me having lost my dad earlier this year and this being my first Christmas without him, I'm feeling quite emotional, so I teared up quite a bit as well. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!
Happy holidays, sir. May your father's memory guide you through the season.
People think I'm Jewish.
Same. ;)

A

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Yesterday I wore my converted Akubra Silverbelly Campdraft, out to 'the big city' and I got two lovely comments. One was from a young lady who served me saying she loved my hat and that I looked very distinguished. The other was from the gentleman serving me in the gents outfitters who asked where I had got my hat. I explained that I sent to Australia as they were better value than the overly expensive hats available in the UK, he then told me they stocked hats from Christies. I didn't take the conversation any further, maybe I should have pointed out how much better the CD was than the hats they had. Upon reflection he was probably reacting to the colour as much as anything. Silverbelly is far from a common colour for what is a very uncommon type of hat in the UK.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Late afternoon we hosted a gathering at our house in Minnesota, USA. Roasted lamb, the fixings and adult beverages were served. Almost all the guests commented on my hat. Guests were family, neighbors and friends (from the professional coaching community). Almost all the guests commented on my hat.

I wore a vtg. Lee fedora with gill ribbon work. Comments ranged from hipster, cool, fashionable, vintage, reminiscent, Mad Men like, downtown, distinguished,weird, different, and country gent. I thanked each person. They brought their own "normal" with them and last night, I believe, was not a night to challenge their normals.

I wore the hat for me. I did not consider wearing it in order to elicit comments from others. I know comments were to be said as we hat wearers are a minority. Hat wearers matter too. Most important to me in this attire choice was that the hat as it is one of my fav's, is comfy, warm in the evening cool temps (moving from inside to outside), and in my eye is stylish.

No one else wore a fedora. Caps, wool hats were everywhere. We even have a couple caps, gloves and even a jacket (?) starting a "lost and found" basket today.

Enjoyed wearing my hat thru the evening. No comment changed my enjoyment.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Out in town (London) last night for a show, wearing my 'Public Enemies' inspired fedora. Was making my way past the natural history museum when a young man, wearing a light grey mid brimmed fedora, and his girl friend exited just beside me. As I passed them I heard her exclaim with an exasperated sigh 'I don't believe it, there's another one wearing a hat like yours!'

Hopefully a sign that someone else is soon to join our ranks.

Best wishes for 2016

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails