Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Jake Willis

New in Town
I have been called a pimp and a cowboy but the negative or off-handed comments are rare. I have gotten a TON of positive feedback of people thinking it is cool or they want one. 19 yr old kid at the grocery store asked me how to fit one for his head shape the other day. I told him I better see him with a proper hat within a month lol
Ain't nothing wrong with being a cowboy, just means you got some gumption ;)

I wear a cowboy hat, but I live on a ranch in Montana, so most others do too. When I visit Washington where my Grandmother and some other family of mine live, people give me odd looks and either ask me if I'm a poser, or ask if a rodeo is in town. As for your you g nen stereotyped fedora thing, it is because the fedora became popular with younger men, but many of the ones that wore it were kind of the "nerd living in mom's basement" types. This stereotyped fedoras as such. Its like they wore the hat to offset how little class they had. Either way, just keep a clean image (and don't grow a neck beard), and keep your behavior and manners on the up and up, and you should be fine. If you're gonna wear it, wear it with pride.

I find that the "hipster" designation wrt fedoras falls within a fairly narrow age set. If you wear a "real" fedora - good quality, proportions and dimensions, you don't fall into that trap. It's only a subset of internet users and millennials that see a fedora and think, "Neckbeard, maximum tipping, m'lady!"

And the attitude carries the day, it always does.

Being Cold this winter , I wore a Western Hat I've had for years and years (to Church). A guy that does the NASCAR thing (Shades on the Visor : Standard Equipment) asked , "Where'd you park your horse ?" "hehe" ; but I wore my OR and several commented , "Nice Hat " .

If I cared , I would call and ask permission . But I don't .

Next time ask him if you can meet his pit crew.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Seems to depend on the age of the person reacting. Older folks call me dapper, handsome, sharp, etc, which is nice. I was told I looked sharp while standing in line at the pharmacy today by an old lady.
However people my own age tend to treat my hats and suits like I'm wearing a costume or that I'm a hipster. Win some and you lose some.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Seems to depend on the age of the person reacting. Older folks call me dapper, handsome, sharp, etc, which is nice. I was told I looked sharp while standing in line at the pharmacy today by an old lady.
However people my own age tend to treat my hats and suits like I'm wearing a costume or that I'm a hipster. Win some and you lose some.
Interesting! I receive way more compliments from people aged 15-30, and women compliment the most :)

Danes are not very good with compliments in the first place. Hats seem to induce an exception, though.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Today I got an Oh my, there may have been some word starting with f here, god from one college girl to another when I rode past them on the sidewalk of a bridge. I think that was not a good comment. Ha ha. Also got a couple of looking sharps and one or two nice hats. Now mind you I may have been pushing the midwest envelope.
P1170848 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Especially since I was riding a beat up 25 yr old bicycle. And probably wearing those Jesus deliver me too much caffeine crazy eyes at the time. But what the hey, it was the first absolutely glorious day of spring here.
Michael

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Interesting! I receive way more compliments from people aged 15-30, and women compliment the most :)

Danes are not very good with compliments in the first place. Hats seem to induce an exception, though.

Haha ! Yeah , In my case the "hehe" " ... park your horse ?" comment was from a 37 yr old guy , usually nice , I think he was just trying to be a comedian ; the compliments were from all ladies and one guy , my Eye Dr buddy , my age .

Today I got an Oh my, there may have been some word starting with f here, god from one college girl to another when I rode past them on the sidewalk of a bridge. I think that was not a good comment. Ha ha. Also got a couple of looking sharps and one or two nice hats. Now mind you I may have been pushing the midwest envelope.
P1170848 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Especially since I was riding a beat up 25 yr old bicycle. And probably wearing those Jesus deliver me too much caffeine crazy eyes at the time. But what the hey, it was the first absolutely glorious day of spring here.
Michael

Michael , You always dress sharp in your own style . If they're talking about you , they're giving someone else a break . That's the way I see it . And yes , LORD JESUS deliver me ! I am YOUR's ! One WAY ! No Compromise ! Pride goes before destruction . And a haughty spirit before a fall . As Job said , Naked came I into this world , and naked shall I leave . Blessed be the Name of The Lord . AMEN ! ... Eyes are the widow to the soul .
Nice threads , head to toes (IMHO).

Last edited:

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Literally as I'm sitting in Wendy's eating my fries and reading the new posts in this thread, an older gentleman came up to me and said "There's a show on TV we watch on Thursday nights of a man that travels back in time, and in that suit you're a spitting image of him."
Does this mean I'm the next Doctor?

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I thought Jenna Coleman was the next doctor? Not that I'll complain if I'm wrong, or if you are Jenna Coleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner