Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

EstherWeis

Vendor
I have yet to receive a negative comment.

I have one that get's some yeehaw's since it looks sort of western to some.
But it really isn't.

Belgians aren't the talkative type. So lots of smiles, nods and hat pointing.

Mr. E gets a lot though.
All positive too.
Just the lady where he buys his lunch from time to time was very surprised by his hair. :D

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
this morning I was out on a coffee run wearing a Stack thin ribbon
an elderly man ... probably early 70s behind me in line said ... "mighty fine piece you have there"
I said thank you ... he then said... "makes me want to go look at my old hats"
this sparked my interest and I wanted to unload on him about his size and what he may have ... but I used better judgement and said ... I'm glad I inspired you .
he said..."yes you did"
but then he says to me ... "why not a shave?"
I gave him my stock answer of ... It hides my true identity ... with a wink
... and that was that

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
an elderly man ... probably early 70s behind me in line said ... "mighty fine piece you have there"
this sparked my interest and I wanted to unload on him about his size and what he may have ... but I used better judgement and said ... I'm glad I inspired you .
he said..."yes you did"
but then he says to me ... "why not a shave?"
I gave him my stock answer of ... It hides my true identity ... with a wink
... and that was that
He might have been a 7 1/4...

this sparked my interest and I wanted to unload on him about his size and what he may have ...
Because my wife and I walk our dog every evening, we've gotten to know quite a few people on our street that we probably wouldn't have met otherwise. A couple of weeks ago one of the women we encounter and chat with from time to time told me she had recently been going through some "old stuff" and had found her deceased husband's hats, and asked if I might be interested in taking a look at them since I wear hats. :) I told her that I would most definitely be interested, but we haven't seen her since so I have no idea what she might have.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Because my wife and I walk our dog every evening, we've gotten to know quite a few people on our street that we probably wouldn't have met otherwise. A couple of weeks ago one of the women we encounter and chat with from time to time told me she had recently been going through some "old stuff" and had found her deceased husband's hats, and asked if I might be interested in taking a look at them since I wear hats. :) I told her that I would most definitely be interested, but we haven't seen her since so I have no idea what she might have.
Moon got there first.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Keep me posted if the guy wore a 7 1/2 !!!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

2075rami

One of the Regulars
My wife and I went to Charleston, South Carolina last weekend, and I bought my new Stetson while we were there in the market. When we left, I was paying the parking lot attendant, and he told me, "Nice hat." He was wearing a cheap straw-looking fedora. (I own one myself that cost me like $5 from Wal-Mart that I wear when it's super hot out, so I'm far from a hat snob here. Lol!) I replied, "Thanks! Yours looks pretty slick, as well."

He immediately launches into a Now-I'm-gonna-tell-you-how-offended-I-am-because-you-dared-to-compliment-me-by-using-the-word-"Slick"-mini-tirade by saying, "At least I didn't use a derogatory term when I commented on your hat." My wife and I both tried to explain to him that "slick" simply meant "nice", "cool", or "stylish", at least back in Texas where we are from. Then my wife even threw in, "Now if you ever go to Texas, you'll have a step up on the local slang."

To which he replied by proceeding to let us both know that he "didn't need any slang, because he was educated he could do without it, since he did go to English class." I figured now was a good time to just drive away. What a Cretin!

This is the first and only negative experience I've had concerning my hats. Usually people stop me and compliment me by telling me how nice I look in them, or that they wished they could pull off wearing one. I always just tell them, "Just get one and wear it!"

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Today a young girl, in her early 20's, told me "thats a beautiful hat, I am tempted to steal it from you" funny thing...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I think my reply would have been something like, 'Well, I go where the hat goes.'

That would have either ended it right there, or resulted in a whole new situation. haha

Natekirk

New in Town
Wearing a hat should be appropriate anywhere, but unless it's a ball cap or a drivers cap I always take my hat off indoors. I'm pretty sure people didn't wear their hats indoors when hats were popular anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner