Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

No pinks or flashy red ones !!
Really? I think they'd go well with your eyes. :p

...I'm pretty sure people didn't wear their hats indoors when hats were popular anyway.
If you watch just about any movie from the 1930s or 1940s you'll see quite a few scenes of men wearing hats indoors. Any number of websites list the "official" rules of hat etiquette from that era, but these days hat wearers tend to decide for themselves which of those rules they will or won't follow.

My wife and I went to Charleston, South Carolina last weekend, and I bought my new Stetson while we were there in the market. When we left, I was paying the parking lot attendant, and he told me, "Nice hat." He was wearing a cheap straw-looking fedora. (I own one myself that cost me like $5 from Wal-Mart that I wear when it's super hot out, so I'm far from a hat snob here. Lol!) I replied, "Thanks! Yours looks pretty slick, as well."

He immediately launches into a Now-I'm-gonna-tell-you-how-offended-I-am-because-you-dared-to-compliment-me-by-using-the-word-"Slick"-mini-tirade by saying, "At least I didn't use a derogatory term when I commented on your hat." My wife and I both tried to explain to him that "slick" simply meant "nice", "cool", or "stylish", at least back in Texas where we are from. Then my wife even threw in, "Now if you ever go to Texas, you'll have a step up on the local slang."

To which he replied by proceeding to let us both know that he "didn't need any slang, because he was educated he could do without it, since he did go to English class." I figured now was a good time to just drive away. What a Cretin!

This is the first and only negative experience I've had concerning my hats. Usually people stop me and compliment me by telling me how nice I look in them, or that they wished they could pull off wearing one. I always just tell them, "Just get one and wear it!"

When I was working the first office-type job of my career, I mentioned to one of the executive assistants (then called a "secretary") that her outfit was "terrific", or something to that effect. I, too, meant only kind things. Without batting an eye, she told me that a man should NEVER compliment in that way, to avoid the very misunderstanding you experienced, Rami. We can't say that looks "great, terrific, amazing, slick," or any other descriptive term, less there be a misunderstanding that you were being sarcastic. Weird, I know, but then she went on to tell me that we should always only say, "I really like your... outfit," (or "hat," etc.) which leaves nothing to interpretation. That's been my approach ever since (over 30 yrs, now).

foamy

A-List Customer
Wearing a hat should be appropriate anywhere, but unless it's a ball cap or a drivers cap I always take my hat off indoors. I'm pretty sure people didn't wear their hats indoors when hats were popular anyway.
The unwritten code at work is you can wear your hat to and from your desk in the morning and evening or when stepping out for lunch, but not during the business day—that'd just be weird. Women do it, but that's their prerogative.

I often get comments asking if i'm going anywhere "special" as "your'e" dressed up! no I reply I dress like this daily! (see profile photo)

The other day I was wearing just a simple sport coat with a button down shirt, and a lady in the elevator said "I'd say you look nice, but I assume you're dressed up because you're going to a funeral." Sad.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
When I started wearing hats about three years ago I was very concerned by others' opinion. Over here in France it was really not very common. I felt a bit like a weirdo and ill at ease
I had a discussion on FL which really helped me. And to be honest, I don't think I have ever heard any bad comments. Oh few people probably think nasty things when they see my on the bus. But, really wearing a hat that I like and that I believe fits me quite well is enough to get self confidence.
The nastiest thing I heard was that I was showing off with my hat. Well I may be too self confident, but i take this as a compliment if that hat suits me that well :)
Now I get some good compliments and people are like : "oh I'm not made for hats", in the sense that they don't think hats make them look good. And to which I usually reply that anyone can wear a hat as long as they pick the right one
Funny enough, the past couple years, I 've seen more and more people wearing trilbies and panamas. It's getting a bit popular in France even we've seen a few TV reports about this trend resurrecting. But seeing more and more trilbies kind of annoys me. Somehow I felt a bit special before :) And that's why I'm looking to wear more like real fedora or traveller-like hat now

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The other day I was wearing just a simple sport coat with a button down shirt, and a lady in the elevator said "I'd say you look nice, but I assume you're dressed up because you're going to a funeral." Sad.
The answer could have been: "Well, at least you know how to dress at a funeral, Dear!"

But then again, I don't believe it's worth it :)

AndyR

One of the Regulars
...He immediately launches into a Now-I'm-gonna-tell-you-how-offended-I-am-because-you-dared-to-compliment-me-by-using-the-word-"Slick"-mini-tirade by saying, "At least I didn't use a derogatory term when I commented on your hat."...

Wow, that's rough! I know exactly what that conversation was like for you. I've talked with some people exactly like that. You get the feeling that you can't say a single thing that won't be misunderstood. I've found it best to cut my losses, give up and move on (often times while shaking my head). :)

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I frequent a Subaru Outback forum (since we bought one last year) and there is a thread for 'tall' guys to review their Outbacks for head room and comfort.

I mentioned that although I'm 6 feet and not as tall as those commenting, I could still add a review. I posted that I know the Outback is great for tall people, because I can wear a tall crown fedora while driving and it doesn't even hit the headliner. Yea!

The first response was of course, a picture of Indy and the question, "Do you hate snakes?" Got a chuckle out of it and admitted that 'Indy' does pop up from time to time in the world of fedora wearing, but I mentioned that I wear it because it was my grandfather's and then admitted that I actually 'love' snakes.

The next response cracked me up. A guy said, "OK shorty, would you just go away and let the adults continue this discussion?" I responded by saying, "OK, I'll pull my hat down over my face and go stand in the corner now." :)

So there you have it...hat wearing can get comments even when no one even sees your hat! :)

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Because my wife and I walk our dog every evening, we've gotten to know quite a few people on our street that we probably wouldn't have met otherwise. A couple of weeks ago one of the women we encounter and chat with from time to time told me she had recently been going through some "old stuff" and had found her deceased husband's hats, and asked if I might be interested in taking a look at them since I wear hats. :) I told her that I would most definitely be interested, but we haven't seen her since so I have no idea what she might have.
You'll run into her again one night soon, she'll have nothing but beautiful hats, and they'll all fit you perfectly. Just try not to look too "hungry' when you see her.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My wife and I went to Charleston, South Carolina last weekend, and I bought my new Stetson while we were there in the market. When we left, I was paying the parking lot attendant, and he told me, "Nice hat." He was wearing a cheap straw-looking fedora. (I own one myself that cost me like $5 from Wal-Mart that I wear when it's super hot out, so I'm far from a hat snob here. Lol!) I replied, "Thanks! Yours looks pretty slick, as well."

He immediately launches into a Now-I'm-gonna-tell-you-how-offended-I-am-because-you-dared-to-compliment-me-by-using-the-word-"Slick"-mini-tirade by saying, "At least I didn't use a derogatory term when I commented on your hat." My wife and I both tried to explain to him that "slick" simply meant "nice", "cool", or "stylish", at least back in Texas where we are from. Then my wife even threw in, "Now if you ever go to Texas, you'll have a step up on the local slang."

To which he replied by proceeding to let us both know that he "didn't need any slang, because he was educated he could do without it, since he did go to English class." I figured now was a good time to just drive away. What a Cretin!

This is the first and only negative experience I've had concerning my hats. Usually people stop me and compliment me by telling me how nice I look in them, or that they wished they could pull off wearing one. I always just tell them, "Just get one and wear it!"

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk
Should've said, "Y'know what? I've got this tiny little hat at home. It'll fit perfectly on that bug that's up your ...."

foamy

A-List Customer
I received more compliments yesterday on the Panama than I've gotten on all other hats combined. Colleagues at work and some folks on the street. I find it curious; was it the hat or the hat and the fact that I had my hair pulled back in a ponytail (which is very rare)? Hmm. May have to try the ponytail again with a different hat and see what happens.

You'll run into her again one night soon, she'll have nothing but beautiful hats, and they'll all fit you perfectly. Just try not to look too "hungry' when you see her.
That would be nice, but it's not the way my luck runs. I'm guessing they'll all be size 6-3/4 with low tapered crowns and 1" brims. :(

I would, but I can't figure out how to attach a picture from my hard drive.
After the software change last year, I don't think you can. As far as I can tell you have to upload your photos to a hosting site like Photobucket, then insert them into your posts from there.

I would, but I can't figure out how to attach a picture from my hard drive.

After the software change last year, I don't think you can. As far as I can tell you have to upload your photos to a hosting site like Photobucket, then insert them into your posts from there.

You have to use the Upload a File button at the bottom of the comment box. Upload the file, and it will show a thumbnail. Then click insert, and it will put the photograph in your comment where your cursor is. If you don't click insert, it will show up as a thumbnail attachment to your comment.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
You have to use the Upload a File button at the bottom of the comment box. Upload the file, and it will show a thumbnail. Then click insert, and it will put the photograph in your comment where your cursor is. If you don't click insert, it will show up as a thimbnail attachment to your comment.

Thank you. I am used to there being a button at the top of the Reply box for that (from other forums).

Picture to be inserted later.

Thank you. I am used to there being a button at the top of the Reply box for that (from other forums).

Picture to be inserted later.
Scotty, there is. I use it myself.

2n6x76e.jp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari