Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I know people look at us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Funny when we are dressed, but has anyone else seen this weird attire. I was at the library and there were two girls dressed Josie and the Pussycats. Long tails and ears for hats. Not even kidding. And this isn't the first time I've seen this,, anyone else have a brush with the odd world lately??

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I've had my encounter with the more queer side of youngster fashion (a realm that's already strange as it is).
One day I was merrily going about, minding my affairs, when I spotted these girlies dressed in a weird sailor suit/ school uniform hybrid, and one of them was carrying sword. Later I found out they were so-called "otakus" dressed as some japanese "cartoon" character... most of which are japanese schoolgirls, from what I can gather.

On that same day, I see this fella wearing a very long coat which (coupled with a most unusual hairstyle) made him look like he was plucked from an underground comic.

And they dare call us weird!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You know, Daisy and I have seen some folks dressed oddly; we have Allston hipsters and Goths here in Boston. Some of them look strange and some not, but in any case, seeing them, and knowing that we dress a little differently, I tend to be more accepting.

Live and let live, I say. ;)

Though, seeing Josie and the Pussycats, may raise a few eyebrows.

farnham54

A-List Customer
I'm guilty as charged of dressing a bit oddly, but I have an excuse.

On frequent occasions, I have been known to Swashbuckle it up with a leather Tricorn hat (Bars, parties, school events like football games, etc)--See as a Residence Assistant, I run my floor with a Pirate them, and the hat just topped it off, except I forgot I was wearing it and I went to a bar with some friends. It was a HUGE hit! Everyone loved it, and pretty soon, random people would stop me on the way to class (sans-tricorn) and say "Hey! Captain Jack! I saw you at Football/Hockey/whatever".

And while at first it did garner me some weird looks, I've become known far and wide as the 'Guelph Pirate"--So for those who dress different from the norm, be they goth, vintage, or pirate--I agree with Hem and say live and let live.

Cheers
Craig

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think the cat-ear hats are kind of cute in a sugary, over the top way. I mean... w/ bobby socks and a circle skirt it could probably cause diabetes.

I'm attracted despite myself. :eek: [huh]

Viola

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
I think the cat-ear hats are kind of cute in a sugary, over the top way. I mean... w/ bobby socks and a circle skirt it could probably cause diabetes.

I'm attracted despite myself. :eek: [huh]

Viola

You wouldn't, er, own any would you? ;)

Japan Celebrity worship

There is a term for the Japanese that really get into their celebrity worship where they dress and use make up, hairstyle and color to look as much like their favoriite star as they possibly can. Over there it can extend into their 20s and up. In the US I think it tends to be mostly done for conventions and such, but there is always a contingent that brings such a lifesstyle to their daily lives. Elvis impersonators and vampire/goth's or the Bettie Page girls, come to mind.
As long as it is in fun and they don't stop taking their meds...

Haversack

One Too Many
Mr. Dalton wrote:
"I think I've heard the cat ear thing mentioned in Japanese youth trends too."

Well, if you Google "cat girl", you will get over 500,000 hits. Add in Kawai, (Japanese for a particular type of cuteness - think Hello Kitty), and the number drops to around 2,000. Fueled by an amalgam of Internet comics, anime, and "furries" there is a distinct "cat girl" sub-culture out there. No stranger really, than kids in the late 1950s wearing coonskin caps.

Haversack.

carebear

Haversack said:
Mr. Dalton wrote:
"I think I've heard the cat ear thing mentioned in Japanese youth trends too."

Well, if you Google "cat girl", you will get over 500,000 hits. Add in Kawai, (Japanese for a particular type of cuteness - think Hello Kitty), and the number drops to around 2,000. Fueled by an amalgam of Internet comics, anime, and "furries" there is a distinct "cat girl" sub-culture out there. No stranger really, than kids in the late 1950s wearing coonskin caps.

Haversack.

I had a coonskin cap in the '70's. I doubt anyone ever got a whip cracked at them because of it.

Thanks Marc, I'm at that point in my life where "paternalistic concern" wars with "dirty old man". lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I see some pretty outre outfits on the kids around town here -- but the Josie ears haven't shown up yet. We're still working thru those tall Cat-in-the-Hat striped hats that were hot stuff in the late '90s.

Yesterday, though, I saw a fellow who really took the cake -- he was standing on the sidewalk in front of one of our more popular watering holes dressed, as near as I can tell, as Rasputin. Wild hair and whiskers, monk's robe, and some kind of wide belt thing. And he was carrying a sword.

He was pacing back and forth in front of the bar, evidently waiting for it to open. Even a mad Russian monk needs a nip now and then.

Haversack

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier wrote:
""Down, boy -- DOWN!" (Cracks whip)"

Now you've gone and evoked those images of Lucille Ball cracking a whip over the horde of dancing cat girls in the movie _Ziegfeld's Follies_.

Haversack.

Steve

Practically Family
Where I live, I see some pretty weird stuff. There are some goth types that hang around the mall that are downright creepy, and then there's the motley crew of oddballs and skaters wearing girls' jeans. No real themes...yet.

carebear

LizzieMaine said:
I see some pretty outre outfits on the kids around town here -- but the Josie ears haven't shown up yet. We're still working thru those tall Cat-in-the-Hat striped hats that were hot stuff in the late '90s.

Yesterday, though, I saw a fellow who really took the cake -- he was standing on the sidewalk in front of one of our more popular watering holes dressed, as near as I can tell, as Rasputin. Wild hair and whiskers, monk's robe, and some kind of wide belt thing. And he was carrying a sword.

He was pacing back and forth in front of the bar, evidently waiting for it to open. Even a mad Russian monk needs a nip now and then.

Might have been Gandalf in disguise. :D

"Carrying" a sword or "wearing" a sword? If he had it bared in hand while pacing around, even I, libertarian, right to keep and bear arms fanatic, might jingle up Officer Friendly to go ask him why.

Psychos have started killing "demons" with swords in the middle of the day before.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Whip cracking makes me think
lee4.jpg

But I can't wear the ears - most of my friends know me as Josie, short for my real (and to many, unpronouncable) name, Jordanna.

Viola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland