Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I know people look at us

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
carebear said:
Might have been Gandalf in disguise. :D

"Carrying" a sword or "wearing" a sword? If he had it bared in hand while pacing around, even I, libertarian, right to keep and bear arms fanatic, might jingle up Officer Friendly to go ask him why.

Psychos have started killing "demons" with swords in the middle of the day before.

Well, I kind of hustled past him -- I didn't want him to mistake me for a Cossack in disguise or anything -- but I *think* it was a toy sword, like one of those plastic ones you get from the Lift The Duck game at the carnival. (I don't know if that makes the guy even more bizarre or not...)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Anyone, in any subculture, will look 'wierd' to others.

Vintage dressing is -just- as much of a subculture as goth, emo, dressing like a cat, or a million others I could sit here naming.

Because one is on the inside of a particular subculture, you use it's standards to become the -norm- and everyone else is odd and strange.

So just because 'we' (and I use this with a giant grain of salt) think they are wierd, they are sitting there thinking precisely the same thing about us.

Applying the same level of graciousness and non-pointing and staring and commenting, as I would wish to receive from others in return, has always stood me in good stead as far as relating to other humans goes.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Nick Charles said:
And this isn't the first time I've seen this,, anyone else have a brush with the odd world lately??

Brother,
If you'd like me to start sending/posting headlines to news stories, the Odd World is 24/7/365 any more. [huh]

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Well, I kind of hustled past him -- I didn't want him to mistake me for a Cossack in disguise or anything -- but I *think* it was a toy sword, like one of those plastic ones you get from the Lift The Duck game at the carnival. (I don't know if that makes the guy even more bizarre or not...)

Yeah, you'd need a few more Cossacks, and some poison, and an ice-covered river.

carebear

Viola said:
Whip cracking makes me think
lee4.jpg

But I can't wear the ears - most of my friends know me as Josie, short for my real (and to many, unpronouncable) name, Jordanna.

Viola

Oh yeah, Julie Newmar, that helps with keeping pure thoughts. ;)

Jor-danna, like Jordan the river, and country, and Michael, is hard to pronounce? [huh]

Viola

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
Oh yeah, Julie Newmar, that helps with keeping pure thoughts. ;)

Jor-danna, like Jordan the river, and country, and Michael, is hard to pronounce? [huh]

I dunno. Some people find it hard to pronounce, and other people substitute whatever other name comes easiest to hand (Johanna I understand...but Jackie? And...George?!)

So Josie is easier for many, including me, because I just don't see myself as a George, and I don't like when people call me Jordy, because Jordy = Geordie = Levar Burton to me.lol

Viola

carebear

Well, it's pretty.

As a kid from the '70's "Josie" will always be mentally followed with "...and the Pussycats" for me. :D

Haversack

One Too Many
Out in the San Francisco Bay Area you will occassionally hear people not from around here asking about what is there to see in "San Josie"

Haversack.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Neecerie said:
Anyone, in any subculture, will look 'wierd' to others.

Vintage dressing is -just- as much of a subculture as goth, emo, dressing like a cat, or a million others I could sit here naming.

Because one is on the inside of a particular subculture, you use it's standards to become the -norm- and everyone else is odd and strange.

So just because 'we' (and I use this with a giant grain of salt) think they are wierd, they are sitting there thinking precisely the same thing about us.

Applying the same level of graciousness and non-pointing and staring and commenting, as I would wish to receive from others in return, has always stood me in good stead as far as relating to other humans goes.

Bravo! :eusa_clap

I may not actually wear any of the things, but at least they're having fun and doing what they like to do- just like us :D

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I go to the art school at UCLA in Los Angeles, so I see some semi-weird attire on a daily basis. Pretty much your usual "hipster" stuff, super tight pants on guys with pointy boots, paired with an ironic t-shirt, suspenders and a crazy hairdo. So there's always fun fashion going on.

But the weirdest thing I've ever seen was this goth kid who went to the same arts summer program I went to. It was in Valencia, CA where its BOILING in the summer, and everyday he would wear a long black leather trench coat, a black button down shirt with this bondage-type metal chainlink-esque stuff draped over it, black pants, black boots, gigantic black feathered angel wings (the Halloween kind), black eye makeup and, the best part, a surgical mask that was painted black. :eek: It was totally over the top! I can't believe he didnt die from heat stroke either!

I have a picture of it if you wanna see the madness for yourselves!!

BegintheBeguine

Pretty ballerina

You rarely see the teen girls in costume by themselves. But even my dad reminisced about his older sis and her friends getting up in outlandish outfits and going about for laughs. Like half ladies' dress, half man's. Half black outfit, half white. Some sewing skills necessary of course. How to have fun during the depression, I guess. The teens look cute, though; let them have their fun. It is fun to dress up, isn't it? ;) Myself, I just recalled imitating a Pogo comic strip character who was Miss Alaska/Hawaii when I was a teen. (Sarong and parka, natch) I wore it to a church potluck supper.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I dunno, in my mind dressing vintage is a leeeeetle different than wearing a cat costume or a black-painted surgical mask out in public.

pigeon toe said:
But the weirdest thing I've ever seen was this goth kid who went to the same arts summer program I went to. It was in Valencia, CA where its BOILING in the summer, and everyday he would wear a long black leather trench coat, a black button down shirt with this bondage-type metal chainlink-esque stuff draped over it, black pants, black boots, gigantic black feathered angel wings (the Halloween kind), black eye makeup and, the best part, a surgical mask that was painted black. :eek: It was totally over the top! I can't believe he didnt die from heat stroke either!

I have a picture of it if you wanna see the madness for yourselves!!

This I must see.

Elaina

One Too Many
Eh, I do the cosplay (where I sometimes dress up like a Japanese cartoon character/video game character) with my kid now. I used to be all into it when I was in my teens/20's. And I went around like that in public. Well, I still do, but only at convention time.

The thing I hate right now is bubble skirts. I saw one on one of my son's little friends, and I have to say they look as tacky on now as they did in the 80's. I'd rather see cat ears then 80's clothes.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Gothic

The Gothic, or just plain "Goth" look seems firmly established here
in Chicago, where teens and young adults frequently appear dressed
in dark colors, leather, and mascara. Sort of semi-vampirish Elvira
and Elvis. But you gotta admire the effort!:rolleyes:

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
This was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen on the street. I was at the post office sending a package and when I walked out, and here comes Sam Spade. haha. A man wearing a fedora, suit, raincoat, it blew my mind! Something fishy was happening in that post office.

I've been on the train out here and seen people who look like they're from other parts of a century. There was a interesting looking couple in their victorian best, some 80's styled teenangers, it's interesting to see others dressed in other points in time.

MB5

One of the Regulars
This has been an interesting thread for me, because I went to school with several of them.

CharlieH. said:
On that same day, I see this fella wearing a very long coat which (coupled with a most unusual hairstyle) made him look like he was plucked from an underground comic.

CharlieH., I thought you saw me in my extended Rick Deckard coat back when I needed a haircut until I saw your location.

LizzieMaine said:
Yesterday, though, I saw a fellow who really took the cake -- he was standing on the sidewalk in front of one of our more popular watering holes dressed, as near as I can tell, as Rasputin. Wild hair and whiskers, monk's robe, and some kind of wide belt thing. And he was carrying a sword.

He was pacing back and forth in front of the bar, evidently waiting for it to open. Even a mad Russian monk needs a nip now and then.

This sounds remarkably like someone I who I knew during by brief time in the SCA. He would have been carrying a real sword though.

There is also someone who wears a fox tail around campus. I am pretty certain they are also in SCA and use the tail with thier garb as well.

As for the 80s clothes, I have a Members Only jacket I wear on occasion, but I do agree the popped collar on the polo shirt needs to return to the 80s.

It is all just personal taste and style. It is nice seeing people doing what they like, for the most part anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass