Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy IV (beware... spoiler pics)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Lapels and ties

It will be interesting to see the tie and lapel widths in this movie. 1957 is just when the hippest segments of society were going to extreme narrow pants, ties and lapels. Also, Indy's character is dual sided. He's normally a mild mannered prof, only becoming "Super Indy" on provocation. His 1950's attire might be quite normal for the time. Check out "The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" (also set in New Haven) for fashion hints. He may pull out the old fedora and leather jacket from the back of the closet, like an aging knight pulling out his rusty armour. This is the first of the films set in a time that I recall. I was 10 in 1957. Generally speaking, the current image of the 50's exaggerates the jazzy, cool rock n roll style. In reality the 50's were a time of brain numbing conformity. Hence the 60's. I'll be nitpicking every detail.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
hat?

It just dawned on me that in all the takes I saw, I did not see a fedora on Harrison Ford's (or his double's) head! I saw a bunch of takes of the car/motorcycle chase scene, so perhaps they did away with the hat for that wild ride. I did see a few more takes of him off the motorcycle, but the makeup person was working on him, so maybe that's why he did not have a hat.

I cannot imagine that they did away with the hat, but I was wondering what looked different about him... and DUH... :eusa_doh: the light bulb just went on in my head... where the heck was his hat?! :eek:

Edward

Bartender
AlanC said:
I don't think Alden would be too happy about that. lol

lol

So what's the word, are they still the Indy boot? I'm afraid I'm very tempted by the Adventurer boots on the Magnoli site as an alternative - cheaper, and they don't charge shipping either (saving money is always good, bearing in mind I'm also liable to end up paying import taxes).

ledsled said:
It just dawned on me that in all the takes I saw, I did not see a fedora on Harrison Ford's (or his double's) head! I saw a bunch of takes of the car/motorcycle chase scene, so perhaps they did away with the hat for that wild ride. I did see a few more takes of him off the motorcycle, but the makeup person was working on him, so maybe that's why he did not have a hat.

I cannot imagine that they did away with the hat, but I was wondering what looked different about him... and DUH... :eusa_doh: the light bulb just went on in my head... where the heck was his hat?! :eek:

I really don't think they'll get rid of the hat - it is, as dhermann1 says, Indy's armour... it's too much a core part of the "brand" to do away with. I've seen stills from the set anyhow where he's wearing it, so.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't lose focus and get yourselves worked up:

20070621.jpg

I think the hat's in very good hands.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Here are SPOILER pics from the set in New Haven. They have done up the store fronts t

Commie Spies, Classic Cars, Bow Ties, & Poodle Skirts! What's not to like? For old(er) geezers (er, folks) like me, it'll be a nostalgic trip at worst. Not to mention fedoras, ladies hats, accessories and clothing, and skinny ties. I notice Indy wears more conservative clothing as befits his tenure.
But...where's the action? Is that an escape on a motorcccle?
If Area 51 is part of th plot, this could be pretty rich. There's the alien angle, the German Scientists that went to the west as well as the Soviet Union after WWII ( Werner Van Braun, etc.), and the Nazi fascination with the occult. This thing could go anywhere.
At the very least it'll be entertaining. At best, it'll be far better than most of the tripe being released by Hollywood these days.
How about Fedora Lounge members attending en masse in their localities? Dress up and have some FUN!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
ledsled said:
It just dawned on me that in all the takes I saw, I did not see a fedora on Harrison Ford's (or his double's) head!

He will have the hat on in the movie, but the shots done in New Haven are in the classroom and on the motorcycle (and I hear there is filming being done at a church so maybe Indy's getting married ;) ). If you watch the other movies, when he's in the classroom, he's hatless, which may account for why he's hatless on the motorcycle if he's running from the Communists from his classroom.

HoosierDaddy said:
There's a stuntman involved in the movie posting on The VLJ forum.
HD
What is the VLJ forum?

there's been some filming going on at a train station and one of the Indygear guys posted his pics, which are pretty period looking.
IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

Edward

Bartender
ITG said:
He will have the hat on in the movie,

I only remember one sequence in the originals where he wore the hat at the University - the one where (either Last Crusade or Raiders) he tells the students all babbling at him to line up and come in one at a time - then he takes the hat off a shelf and climbs out the window.... Other than that, he's never worn the hat in those scenes that I recall, no... though most of those as I remember it were all indoors? If he's on the back of a bike in a chase, though, maybe he's either run out too quickly to stop to grab the hat, or maybe it blew off - wide brimmed hats and the sort of air flow that being on the back of a fast bike can cause, and all that....

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Yes... and no...

deanglen said:
Nice pics! The bad guys' "Chevy", though, I'm pretty sure is a Buick.:)

dean

Guys that were lucky enough to have a look under the hood of that Buick saw a souped-up Chevy 350 V8. That car had one heck of a suspension system... whatever it was!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MK said:
Legs on the trousers are too narrow.:confused:
Good catch! ITG and I were speaking about this and there is a reason for it and it's movie related. It has to do with what he does in the next scene, and I am assuming that the feet are not in frame in this shot. I don't want to provide spoilers here, so that's all I'm going to say. ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gosh...Indy is looking soooooo old :/

The photo that MK posted a few threads above of Harrison in professor mode, took me aback actually!!:eek: ....I am shocked!

He's looking pretty jaded and old in that movie still..! It hurts me to say that, as I can hear the tutting from the wings already, but honestly, I was expecting the character to look a bit more sprightly, considering it's an action adventure film [huh]

Hopefully I'm reading too much into just 'one still' and the movie will prove me totally wrong.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
Good catch! ITG and I were speaking about this and there is a reason for it and it's movie related. It has to do with what he does in the next scene, and I am assuming that the feet are not in frame in this shot. I don't want to provide spoilers here, so that's all I'm going to say. ;)

Spoilers are fine as long as you sequester them behind text that says
WARNING: SPOILERS! several times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael